Very poor crowd yesterday

You'd think this would be a 30 page thread to hold fans accountable, just like they hold coaches accountable......

Advertisement
I wish you all could have experienced the Orange Bowl... as an old timer and a 23 year OB season ticket holder, there isn't anything that will ever compare.

Those 50 yard line seats are empty for the same reason the lower courtside seats are empty at Heat games. The tickets are sold but the owners aren't particularly fans of the team. A lot of those premium seats are purchased for corporate accounts to entertain clients and/or reward employees. They're great when the team is winning or a rival is in town because it's the trendy thing to do for the weekend. When the team is mediocre or the opponent is "blah" (like last Saturday) those tickets go unused. It's a shame because it looks bad on TV when those seats are empty but as long as they want to charge the ridiculous prices for season tickets in those sections, the average "superfan" can't afford to sit there. The cheap seats are usually pretty full. Not to mention, the visitor's sideline seats are directly in the sun for any afternoon game. The rest of the stadium is in the shade.

I wish you all could have experienced the Orange Bowl... as an old timer and a 23 year OB season ticket holder, there isn't anything that will ever compare.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic but I'd venture to say that 80% of the members here went to games in the Orange Bowl. It wasn't that long ago.

I was directing the comment to young people who may not have been to the OB, and also to out-of-state folks. Please... the last thing I practice is unprovoked sarcasm.

Advertisement
The OB was special but anyone who still thinks we have a stadium issue is nuts. Son Life is a great place to see a game now.

I respect your opinion, as we don't have a stadium of our own and Joe Robbie is nice... but nothing will ever compare to the OB.
Furthermore, there are issues with this stadium which drives the occasional conversation regarding getting a stadium closer to the school.

I respect your opinion, as we don't have a stadium of our own and Joe Robbie is nice... but nothing will ever compare to the OB.
Furthermore, there are issues with this stadium which drives the occasional conversation regarding getting a stadium closer to the school.

If we are really getting 2k students per game, then the distance to campus isn't an issue. Like Mark Richt said, how many teams get to play in a place that hosts Super Bowls? The locals need to fill the seats, just like every other CFB team needs.

2K student attendance isn't the issue... what about the rest of the seats. Who cares if the stadium hosts Super bowls!!! Yea it also hosted a celebration to the Championship University of Florida team... please in the Canes home field... are you kidding me!

Advertisement
Then why a closer stadium to campus? Miami Gardens is much more accessible to the region than South Beach or FIU.

One of the main complaint with Land Shark is the distance from campus... not coming from me but from most alumni players and students and just true fans. If access was on issue then why did the OB fill up?

The Orangebowl argument has been rehashed here and every other Miami website a million times. I'll cut to the facts so we can just move on.

1. Every Canes fan has a sense of nostalgia for the Orange Bowl. There were epic games played by epic teams.

2. The Stadium is gone. There is no chance for a new Hurricanes only stadium to be built any time in the foreseeable future.

3. "Too far away from campus for students" is an excuse used by everyone who lives in south Miami Dade. What you really mean is "It's too far from my house and it's inconvenient for ME to drive to Miami Gardens".

4. Attendance has actually been better, for the most part at SunLife/Hard Rock. Nostalgia helps people remember that FSU game with 75,000 fans but everyone conveniently forgets the next week's home game against Temple that drew 28,000. Even during Miami's championship years in the Orange Bowl, they were only averaging around 50,000 tickets sold per game.

5. Despite what some people want to believe, playing in a state of the art stadium with top notch facilities is a positive for recruiting. Most of today's recruits were babies when Miami was winning in the Orange Bowl. That history means little to them.

6. We all loved the place but it's time to move on from the OB. The team's been mediocre for a decade plus so a bunch of people are still clinging to the past because times were better then. You can remember the old days and cherish those memories while enjoying today's games too. It's funny that when the team was 4-0 and FSU was coming to town, nobody cared about the "issues" with Hard Rock stadium. Winning cures all.

The Orangebowl argument has been rehashed here and every other Miami website a million times. I'll cut to the facts so we can just move on.

1. Every Canes fan has a sense of nostalgia for the Orange Bowl. There were epic games played by epic teams.

2. The Stadium is gone. There is no chance for a new Hurricanes only stadium to be built any time in the foreseeable future.

3. "Too far away from campus for students" is an excuse used by everyone who lives in south Miami Dade. What you really mean is "It's too far from my house and it's inconvenient for ME to drive to Miami Gardens".

4. Attendance has actually been better, for the most part at SunLife/Hard Rock. Nostalgia helps people remember that FSU game with 75,000 fans but everyone conveniently forgets the next week's home game against Temple that drew 28,000. Even during Miami's championship years in the Orange Bowl, they were only averaging around 50,000 tickets sold per game.

5. Despite what some people want to believe, playing in a state of the art stadium with top notch facilities is a positive for recruiting. Most of today's recruits were babies when Miami was winning in the Orange Bowl. That history means little to them.

6. We all loved the place but it's time to move on from the OB. The team's been mediocre for a decade plus so a bunch of people are still clinging to the past because times were better then. You can remember the old days and cherish those memories while enjoying today's games too. It's funny that when the team was 4-0 and FSU was coming to town, nobody cared about the "issues" with Hard Rock stadium. Winning cures all.

You make good points dude... and you are right... we are stuck with Hard Rock. That won't stop the stadium debate from resurfacing again and again. This old timer will live in the past and hope for more Canes wins in the future.

Advertisement
There is no debate, because there is only one outcome.

We will continue to play at SLS for our lifetimes, or until we get a half-billion dollar donation to play six games a year in an otherwise unused stadium. Those are the only 2 realistic options. Actually, only the first option is realistic. Second option relies on a billionaire sugar daddy, and that will never happen.

Any other questions, review DTP's post.

i sit in the third row on the home side. the roof technically ends just about at our row. we got drenched on saturday.

wasn't the purpose of the roof to cover the fans from the sun AND the rain? a lot of people even in higher rows were getting drenched. did the engineers account for rain not falling perpendicular to the earth? i'm at a lost here!!!

One of the main complaint with Land Shark is the distance from campus... not coming from me but from most alumni players and students and just true fans. If access was on issue then why did the OB fill up?

It didn't. attendance now is better.

Advertisement
Will also add...man **** the parking prices at Son Life. Jesus, if they kept from raping us on the parking (esp for the dog games) would be way more enticing for an average fan/family to go to a game.

Yellow parking passes for $10 at the Pitt game. If you can't afford parking, you can't afford to go to the game either. And if you can't afford $6 tickets, you're a sorry-*** broke-dīck mötherfūcker and should just kill yourself.

Another bullshīt excuse.

There is no debate, because there is only one outcome.

We will continue to play at SLS for our lifetimes, or until we get a half-billion dollar donation to play six games a year in an otherwise unused stadium. Those are the only 2 realistic options. Actually, only the first option is realistic. Second option relies on a billionaire sugar daddy, and that will never happen.

Any other questions, review DTP's post.

I left earlier to go cook and now I'm back after we got a belly full of fish and grits.
You sound like you have a crystal ball directly connected to the creators server and the future has already been carved in stone.
The issues with Dolphin stadium and UM playing there will continue... and what the future holds is anybody's guess. I have my fingers crossed and my checkbook open in case there's hope. Go Canes!

So...OP is saying that most Cane fans are green texters? Got it.

Seriously, how do teams in the northern climes, with losing records every year get better attendance than us? Don't give me the 10-cent excuse that "Oh, there's soooo much more to do in SFLA!?"

Really? You're a fan of the canes, and you'd rather go to the beach than go to the game? Oh yeah, I forgot, only when they are winning.

Who are all theses schools with this spectacular attendance you're referring to? Below is a list of schools and their attendance last week.
What you'll see is the majority of schools have attendance issues aside from a handful of huge state schools i.e. Penn St., * st., Michigan and the SEC. Both UF and FSU have had large sections open for games this year. Even if you want to claim Miami's numbers are inflated, it's still a solid showing, and you then have to admit some of the other schools are inflated as well...so you're back where you started.

Colorado- 43K
Cal- 47K
BOise St.- 31K
Northwestern- 42K
Washington St.- 33K
Illinois- 47K
Minnesota- 42K
Stanford- 38K
UCF- 31K

Comparing the populations of the cities (in 100K's) some of these colleges are situated in, proportionally, they have better attendance. My point is, we have high attendance only when the opponent is FSWHO or some big time ****er. Otherwise it is crickets. And SFLA's population is in Millions.

Advertisement
Back