Very OT: RVA Moves To The DMV - Who's Here

They're going into 10th and 7th grades now. The older one thinks I'm embarrassing and doesn't want me to even talk when her friends are near...so you know I have fun messing with her... and the little one helps me!

Ah, so you are in full life mode already.

Advertisement
Appreciate the shout out. I don't hold any grudges...life is too short I have a nephew and niece that I help raise. Trust me kids change your perspective. It's a lot of canes fans out here.

Thanks Moto. The white cat treats the black cat like a reluctantly gäy cellmate... I tried to post a pic of the domination but the file is too large.

I'm so old I just realized that I lived 2 years in Virginia Beach and 8 years in Richmond. That's another year of hotels every other weekend that I forgot about. Lol.

I'm so old I...nah you guys win

Shouldn't any just God look beyond differences of race, religion and ethnicity and want us to make choices that are based on individual qualities?

I assume this is a general question to anyone responding in this thread so pardon me if I am out of line trying to answer because I think it is a good question. To answer your question, yes, yes, and yes, but with a caveat. I am not sure what you mean by "individual qualities" because that can be subjective. If you mean qualities such as integrity, honesty, and compassion I say that is a good start. These are qualities in my opinion that are neither defined by race, culture, or any particular religion so can be universally applied to anyone. And they certainly would make one's life qualitatively better. A just God ought to hold everyone to the same standards, otherwise He can be accused of favoritism, "chosen people" status notwithstanding :)

I assume this is a general question to anyone responding in this thread so pardon me if I am out of line trying to answer because I think it is a good question. To answer your question, yes, yes, and yes, but with a caveat. I am not sure what you mean by "individual qualities" because that can be subjective. If you mean qualities such as integrity, honesty, and compassion I say that is a good start. These are qualities in my opinion that are neither defined by race, culture, or any particular religion so can be universally applied to anyone. And they certainly would make one's life qualitatively better. A just God ought to hold everyone to the same standards, otherwise He can be accused of favoritism, "chosen people" status notwithstanding :)
You worded it far better than I could. Yes. That's what I mean.

Advertisement
You worded it far better than I could. Yes. That's what I mean.

RVA, I appreciate you stepping out and speaking on a subject matter that is all to familiar and personal. As I have experienced this situation as well,, it was the hardest thing I have ever done having to drop my daughter off back to mom and drive the 40 minutes with tears every weekend for a couple years. But I'd do it every day if I had to all over again. Thankfully her mom and I were blessed to reconcile and are rarefully happier than ever before. As an educator, you are the type of parent I wish I could clone to deal with. Your girls are truly blessed. Cherish every moment you have with them, they grow up and out too fast. The bonus is you are a diehard fellow cane. God bless you and your kids.

RVA, I appreciate you stepping out and speaking on a subject matter that is all to familiar and personal. As I have experienced this situation as well,, it was the hardest thing I have ever done having to drop my daughter off back to mom and drive the 40 minutes with tears every weekend for a couple years. But I'd do it every day if I had to all over again. Thankfully her mom and I were blessed to reconcile and are rarefully happier than ever before. As an educator, you are the type of parent I wish I could clone to deal with. Your girls are truly blessed. Cherish every moment you have with them, they grow up and out too fast. The bonus is you are a diehard fellow cane. God bless you and your kids.
Jeez...that was really kind. Thank you. I'm just doing what I think is right and what's in my heart. I don't think I deserve anything more out of it than simply for my kids to always know that I did all I could do to be there for them.

Congrats on the move and best of luck! I am in Maryland as well, would be happy to get a Canes group going up here.

Alexandria Va here Congrats on the job and the move. I know how it is I have a son in Va and a son in Tx so I have to split time . Best of luck with your situation. If your into seafood you have to try crab boss.

Advertisement
I'm up in Harford County but I work at Ft. Meade. I'd absolutely be down for a Canes watch party when the season starts. Best of luck with everything RVA.

Thanks guys. @John77 and @Lester Burnham I had know idea you two were in Maryland. @VaCanesFan112 I know the area well having lived in the DMV on and off since college as well as Richmond and Hampton Roads. Have hammered a good amount of Old Bay infused crab. I actually had a nice trap I had to give away when I moved. I used to take my kids fishing and crabbing when they were younger as a weekend activity.

If you want to get in with the big IN people check out a place called Marvin. On 14th street.

Thank me later

Last edited:
I know how it is with the kids man i have a 1 an half year old daughter too an her mom always saying shes gonna move if I'm not with her smh! Im with her though an my daughter is right here beside me right now! Your a good man for what u did! Go Canes Fam! :)

Advertisement
I know how it is with the kids man i have a 1 an half year old daughter too an her mom always saying shes gonna move if I'm not with her smh! Im with her though an my daughter is right here beside me right now! Your a good man for what u did! Go Canes Fam! :)
You're a good man and father too. Your daughter will be better for it and will always know that you were there for her as best you could be. That's what we can do. Keep doing the right thing for the right reasons... and Go Canes!

Advertisement
This is personal but I don't mind sharing where I'm coming from...aside from being a smart âss Miami Beach born and raised Hebrew. We all face adversity. Many far worse than mine and I am always impressed with resilient people who know how to push ahead and not walk around defeated. I've learned to appreciate the things I have and not focus on what is missing.

For the past 10 years, 9 of which I have lived in Richmond, VA, and have driven 2 roundtrips to Maryland in hellacious traffic every other weekend to pick up my kids and bring them home to the RVA... and i have never missed a visit.

The divorce wasn't their fault nor was the fact that their mother reneged on her promise of moving if I took a job in Hampton Roads 10 years ago, originally leaving me stranded 250 miles from my kids as I moved to Virginia Beach..and I had even moved 5 minutes from the wife's mother...who then moved to Maryland.

I had to live the first year away from Virginia Beach in DC area hotels on my weekends...and I never missed a visit. Coupled with a needlessly expensive divorce, it killed me financially but I wasnt going to be denied being with my kids as best I could. They were 1 1/2 and 4 year old girls. I wasn't going out being denied the privilege of helping to raise my kids.

Well, my house sale in Richmond closes today. I just took a great position with a national company where I know the COO, with an office in Frederick, Maryland where I am overseeing their Maryland, Virginia and DC projects and offices and am in a far better work environment than I had been in... and i just moved here. I went from a big house with big land to a small but nice apartment...and I'm really happy.

I am about 35 minutes from my kids in Bethesda but being able to just take them to lunch or dinner on a whim has been really gratifying and appreciated by all.

So, with my sob story out of the way and coming to a happier ending... Who's here? Maybe we can do a game watch or do a group trip to a game?

I think @kryptonite, @AUcane, @MedleyCane, @TheMatador, @jw410 (I come in peace), @Dan E. Dangerously , @Pentagon Cane (until he moves), @NoVa Cane and possibly @NVA CANE are area candidates???

What says you guys? Stand up DMV. Anyone else here. Let's do something pro-Canes during the season.

Thanks guys. You have helped me get through a lot over the last 4 1/2 years by just being here.

#FreeRVA means even more to me now than ever.
My daughter is in Frederick and I live in PG County. I’m in Frederick all the time. If you want to travel to some of the games I do it all the time.

Congrats on the move and best of luck! I am in Maryland as well, would be happy to get a Canes group going up here.
We've had Canes groups here, off and on, since the mid-80's. I think GordonSolieCane on Grassy was having some people over in the '90's for viewing parties. In the mid-80's we used to get together at the great, but now defunct, Georgetown sports bar Champions.

Now there's a fully functioning and very active alumni group.

There was a time in the mid-80's I couldn't find another Canes fan for anything. I helped get things going, organized the regular group that started at Champions, precursor to formal alumni group. It was hard with older alums. More recent grads are much more interested. (I'm not an alum, but a fanatic fan for so long I took initiative.)

My daughter is in Frederick and I live in PG County. I’m in Frederick all the time. If you want to travel to some of the games I do it all the time.
All-time UM great Chuck Foreman is from Frederick. We used to recruit a lot from Maryland, especially Cumberland which was once known for football.

Advertisement
Back