Very OT: RVA Moves To The DMV - Who's Here

RVACane

Maude•Gone•Rogue
Maude
This is personal but I don't mind sharing where I'm coming from...aside from being a smart âss Miami Beach born and raised Hebrew. We all face adversity. Many far worse than mine and I am always impressed with resilient people who know how to push ahead and not walk around defeated. I've learned to appreciate the things I have and not focus on what is missing.

For the past 10 years, 9 of which I have lived in Richmond, VA, and have driven 2 roundtrips to Maryland in hellacious traffic every other weekend to pick up my kids and bring them home to the RVA... and i have never missed a visit.

The divorce wasn't their fault nor was the fact that their mother reneged on her promise of moving if I took a job in Hampton Roads 10 years ago, originally leaving me stranded 250 miles from my kids as I moved to Virginia Beach..and I had even moved 5 minutes from the wife's mother...who then moved to Maryland.

I had to live the first year away from Virginia Beach in DC area hotels on my weekends...and I never missed a visit. Coupled with a needlessly expensive divorce, it killed me financially but I wasnt going to be denied being with my kids as best I could. They were 1 1/2 and 4 year old girls. I wasn't going out being denied the privilege of helping to raise my kids.

Well, my house sale in Richmond closes today. I just took a great position with a national company where I know the COO, with an office in Frederick, Maryland where I am overseeing their Maryland, Virginia and DC projects and offices and am in a far better work environment than I had been in... and i just moved here. I went from a big house with big land to a small but nice apartment...and I'm really happy.

I am about 35 minutes from my kids in Bethesda but being able to just take them to lunch or dinner on a whim has been really gratifying and appreciated by all.

So, with my sob story out of the way and coming to a happier ending... Who's here? Maybe we can do a game watch or do a group trip to a game?

I think @kryptonite, @AUcane, @MedleyCane, @TheMatador, @jw410 (I come in peace), @Dan E. Dangerously , @Pentagon Cane (until he moves), @NoVa Cane and possibly @NVA CANE are area candidates???

What says you guys? Stand up DMV. Anyone else here. Let's do something pro-Canes during the season.

Thanks guys. You have helped me get through a lot over the last 4 1/2 years by just being here.

#FreeRVA means even more to me now than ever.

Last edited:
Advertisement
This is personal but I don't mind sharing where I'm coming from...aside from being a smart ads Miami Beach born and raised Hebrew. We all face adversity. Many far worse than mine and I am always impressed with resilient people who know how to push ahead and not walk around defeated. Ive learned to appreciate the things I have and not doxus on what is missing.

For the past 10 years, 9 of which I have lived in Richmond, VA, where I have driven 2 roundtrips to Maryland every other weekend to pick up my kids and bring them home, and i have never missed a visit. The divorce wasn't their fault nor was the fact that their mother reneged on her promise of moving if I took a job in Hampton Roads 10 years ago originally leaving me 250 miles from my kids as I moved to Virginia Beach..and I has even moved 5 minutes from the wife's mother... Who then moved to Maryland to. I had to live the first year away in DC area hotels on my weekends...and I never missed a visit. Coupled with a needlessly expensive divorce, it killed me financially but I wasnt going to be denied being with my kids as best I could.

Well, my house sale in Richmond closes today. I just took a great position with a national company where I know the COO with an office in Frederick, Maryland where I am overseeing their Maryland, Virginia and DC projects and in a far better work environment than I had been in... and i just moved here. I went from a big house with big land to a small apartment...and I'm really happy.

I am about 35 minutes from my kids in Bethesda but being able to just take them to lunch or dinner on a whim is really gratifying and appreciated by all.

So, with my sob story out of the way and coming to a happier ending... Who's here? Maybe we can do a game watch or do a group trip to a game?

I think @kryptonite, @AUcane, @MedleyCane, @TheMatador, @jw410 (I come in peace), @Dan E. Dangerously , @Pentagon Cane (until he moves), @NoVa Cane and possibly @NVA CANE are area candidates???

What says you guys? Stand up DMV. Anyone else here. Let's do something pro-Canes during the season.

Thanks guys. You have helped me get through a lot over the last 4 1/2 years by just being here.

Repped you RVA for being a man of true character through it all. Respect.

Advertisement
Kids, the reason for all of us being here IMO. They'll get you through a lot of stuff and it sounds like they helped you along the way. Life was great before kids, but pales in comparison to after.

Advertisement
This is personal but I don't mind sharing where I'm coming from...aside from being a smart âss Miami Beach born and raised Hebrew. We all face adversity. Many far worse than mine and I am always impressed with resilient people who know how to push ahead and not walk around defeated. I've learned to appreciate the things I have and not focus on what is missing.

For the past 10 years, 9 of which I have lived in Richmond, VA, and have driven 2 roundtrips to Maryland in hellacious traffic every other weekend to pick up my kids and bring them home to the RVA... and i have never missed a visit.

The divorce wasn't their fault nor was the fact that their mother reneged on her promise of moving if I took a job in Hampton Roads 10 years ago, originally leaving me stranded 250 miles from my kids as I moved to Virginia Beach..and I had even moved 5 minutes from the wife's mother...who then moved to Maryland.

I had to live the first year away from Virginia Beach in DC area hotels on my weekends...and I never missed a visit. Coupled with a needlessly expensive divorce, it killed me financially but I wasnt going to be denied being with my kids as best I could. They were 1 1/2 and 4 year old girls. I wasn't going out being denied the privilege of helping to raise my kids.

Well, my house sale in Richmond closes today. I just took a great position with a national company where I know the COO, with an office in Frederick, Maryland where I am overseeing their Maryland, Virginia and DC projects and offices and am in a far better work environment than I had been in... and i just moved here. I went from a big house with big land to a small but nice apartment...and I'm really happy.

I am about 35 minutes from my kids in Bethesda but being able to just take them to lunch or dinner on a whim has been really gratifying and appreciated by all.

#FreeRVA means even more to me now than ever.

Even more OT, but going from your house to a much more manageable apartment, were you not amazed at the incredible amount of “stuff” we accumulate? Reminds me of all the clutter stuffed away I need to get rid of.

Anyway, happy for you. Sounds like a great weight has been lifted off your shoulders. Celebrate that feeling and your new life.

Advertisement
Hey bro, sorry to hear about the kid stuff but at the same time, great news moving closer to them. Yep, I live in Gaithersburg - let's try to link up. I am also a divorced dad and my kids were roughly the same age as your little ones when the divorce happened. Keep up the good work!

Advertisement
Even more OT, but going from your house to a much more manageable apartment, were you not amazed at the incredible amount of “stuff” we accumulate? Reminds me of all the clutter stuffed away I need to get rid of.

Anyway, happy for you. Sounds like a great weight has been lifted off your shoulders. Celebrate that feeling and your new life.
I can't even begin to tell you how accurate this is for me. I was in a 4 bedroom house and I purged and purged-furniture, clothes, things... I get to the apartment and it's half filled with boxes. Day 1, I hung up my clothes in a closet and the weight tore the rack out of the wall. In a fit of non-nostalgic rage, i then purged mass amounts of clothing I could have done without. I got new living room furniture but my dining table and chairs have to go.

I've got artwork and then tons of my kids artwork. I've got luggage and cat carriers. Yes... RVA shamefully admits that he has 2 cats.

When I look at so much of what I have, it's just crazy. I am working my way towards a liveable situation.

Last edited:
Congrats on a new start. The drive from Richmond to D.C. Is absolutely **** from Fredericksburg up. Family is the most important thing.

I've been dating this girl for about a year and a half. I'm 28. She's 27. The clock is kinda ticking. You have any hard earned experience on how to avoid a divorce? Sounds like misery

I can't even begin to tell you how accurate this is for me. I was in a 4 bedroom house and I purged and purged-furniture, clothes, things... I get to the apartment and it's half filled with boxes. Day 1, I hung up my clothes in a closet and the weight tore the rack out of the wall. In a fit of non-nostalgic rage, i then purged mass amounts of clothing I could have done without. I got new living room furniture but my dining table and chairs have to go.

I've got artwork and then tons of my kids artwork. I've got luggage and cat carriers. Yes... RVA shamefully admits that he has 2 cats.

When I look at so much of what I have, it's just crazy. I am working my way towards a liveable sitiation.

I know what you mean.

Other than the kid’s stuff, which I’m sure is manageable, we just all have such a tendency to accumulate. Some more than others.

I’m doing a major purge of my clothes, and it got me thinking to when I was in college. How I got by on three pairs of jeans, one nice pair of pants, a half dozen t-shirts, and as a senior, a cheap interview suit.

Anyway, remember, except for that which is from your loved ones, it’s just “stuff” that weighs you down. I’m happy for you and wish you nothing but the best and good fortune in the next chapter of your life. Make it a good one.

Congrats on a new start. The drive from Richmond to D.C. Is absolutely **** from Fredericksburg up. Family is the most important thing.

I've been dating this girl for about a year and a half. I'm 28. She's 27. The clock is kinda ticking. You have any hard earned experience on how to avoid a divorce? Sounds like misery
I failed but my parents have been married 53 years this year and my grandparents were married 72 years. All I can say is what they all told me which is "we never went to bed angry with each other.'

And yeah, that traffic goes from Springfield all the way to Fredericksburg now. It's crazy. I could avoid a lot of it with 3 in the car and my EZ Pass Flex.

Advertisement
Back