Very OT: RVA Moves To The DMV - Who's Here

So you need a couple extra bodies for the EZPass lane?
How 'bout a couple of cadavers? You know, well embalmed stiff and upright. I used to suggest they bring Sunny Hirsch back in that condition with a tranquilist for posthumous broadcasts since nobody liked Zagacki and Bailey but nobody took up my suggestion so maybe he's available. For those who don't know you need a couple of people, not sure regulations specify alive.
WTF is a "tranquilist"....?

I musta been drunk when I wrote that...except I don't drink.

Advertisement
Nice. Know both places Well. We'll have to do a watch party in DC.
Just caught your OT and it would be an honor to have a watch party with ya... but I'm in Mia. My first two marriages were a nightmare so I know what you've been through with the heavy issue of kids from a divorce. Your priorities are admirable, you are a good man... and also the icing on the cake is... It's Great To Be A Miami Hurricane.

I know. Lots of good players here. I would love the staff to get a foothold in the NE again.
I could talk to you for hours or write pages about demographics of football. Fact is, telent has moved South. More speed down south. We (UM) used to recruit a lot from Pennsylvania (steel mills and coal mines), northwestern MD, northern WVA, parts of Ohio, Indiana, even Western upstate NY. Mostly blue collar white kids. Just not as fertile for us when you have Florida and Georgia at hand. Wish we could break back into Louisiana and maybe Tidewater Virginia. Amazing how many recruitable kids there are just in FL and GA alone...or just FL.

Advertisement
I could talk to you for hours or write pages about demographics of football. Fact is, telent has moved South. More speed down south. We (UM) used to recruit a lot from Pennsylvania (steel mills and coal mines), northwestern MD, northern WVA, parts of Ohio, Indiana, even Western upstate NY. Mostly blue collar white kids. Just not as fertile for us when you have Florida and Georgia at hand. Wish we could break back into Louisiana and maybe Tidewater Virginia. Amazing how many recruitable kids there are just in FL and GA alone...or just FL.
It would be rare for us to recruit a RB from a small town in MD now given the talent in Florida and Georgia. I don't even know if we'd recruit a Chuck Foreman, now. True, we did recruit kid from De Matha a few years ago, the kid who bailed on us at the last minute to go to MD. For the most part, we can find most of that kind of talent at home. We seem to have more trouble finding big linemen at home, especially OLs, and it would be great to find them in other parts of the country. One of our best OLs ever was Dennis Harrah from WVA. Wish we could get some movement from this guy Wright coming out this year. I've read we're playing catch-up although we'll get an OV or so I've read. It's interesting how top kids from around the country are coming to SW Fla to go to IMG.

I can't even begin to tell you how accurate this is for me. I was in a 4 bedroom house and I purged and purged-furniture, clothes, things... I get to the apartment and it's half filled with boxes. Day 1, I hung up my clothes in a closet and the weight tore the rack out of the wall. In a fit of non-nostalgic rage, i then purged mass amounts of clothing I could have done without. I got new living room furniture but my dining table and chairs have to go.

I've got artwork and then tons of my kids artwork. I've got luggage and cat carriers. Yes... RVA shamefully admits that he has 2 cats.

When I look at so much of what I have, it's just crazy. I am working my way towards a liveable situation.

It will happen, and you'll get used to that scaled back apartment life in a hurry.
Good luck to you.

Born and raised in Dade, living in Delaware for the past 17 years. Have two young kids of my own. Respect to you sir.

Advertisement
Congrats on a new start. The drive from Richmond to D.C. Is absolutely **** from Fredericksburg up. Family is the most important thing.

I've been dating this girl for about a year and a half. I'm 28. She's 27. The clock is kinda ticking. You have any hard earned experience on how to avoid a divorce? Sounds like misery

Yeah...don't get married...you welcome

Lots of ****** **** in this thread. Welcome to the DMV @RVACane
Im in Vienna/Oakton...Frederick is a cool little town but I dont get there often. May or may not be able to get together for a game...my youngins keep me completely obligated. PM for details.

Repped you RVA for being a man of true character through it all. Respect.
Way to hang tight for your kids. I'm happy for you!!!! I moved to SF 8 years ago to be close to my son. Needless to say I have the ex-wife from **** that did everything in her power to interfere with my relationship with my son because I divorced her for cheating. I spent over $60,000 in legal fees. Got zero enforcement from the courts. I actually saw my son more when I lived 1200 miles away. Funny thing was that I wound up living about 1/2 mile away on the same block all by chance. I didn't even know she lived on my block because she would always bring him to my hotel when I traveled down here and she was using her parents address to hide her own. Hopefully, now that he's 18, I can have a relationship with him.

Guys going thru divorce or separation, stay strong for your kids no matter what!!!

This is personal but I don't mind sharing where I'm coming from...aside from being a smart âss Miami Beach born and raised Hebrew. We all face adversity. Many far worse than mine and I am always impressed with resilient people who know how to push ahead and not walk around defeated. I've learned to appreciate the things I have and not focus on what is missing.

For the past 10 years, 9 of which I have lived in Richmond, VA, and have driven 2 roundtrips to Maryland in hellacious traffic every other weekend to pick up my kids and bring them home to the RVA... and i have never missed a visit.

The divorce wasn't their fault nor was the fact that their mother reneged on her promise of moving if I took a job in Hampton Roads 10 years ago, originally leaving me stranded 250 miles from my kids as I moved to Virginia Beach..and I had even moved 5 minutes from the wife's mother...who then moved to Maryland.

I had to live the first year away from Virginia Beach in DC area hotels on my weekends...and I never missed a visit. Coupled with a needlessly expensive divorce, it killed me financially but I wasnt going to be denied being with my kids as best I could. They were 1 1/2 and 4 year old girls. I wasn't going out being denied the privilege of helping to raise my kids.

Well, my house sale in Richmond closes today. I just took a great position with a national company where I know the COO, with an office in Frederick, Maryland where I am overseeing their Maryland, Virginia and DC projects and offices and am in a far better work environment than I had been in... and i just moved here. I went from a big house with big land to a small but nice apartment...and I'm really happy.

I am about 35 minutes from my kids in Bethesda but being able to just take them to lunch or dinner on a whim has been really gratifying and appreciated by all.

So, with my sob story out of the way and coming to a happier ending... Who's here? Maybe we can do a game watch or do a group trip to a game?

I think @kryptonite, @AUcane, @MedleyCane, @TheMatador, @jw410 (I come in peace), @Dan E. Dangerously , @Pentagon Cane (until he moves), @NoVa Cane and possibly @NVA CANE are area candidates???

What says you guys? Stand up DMV. Anyone else here. Let's do something pro-Canes during the season.

Thanks guys. You have helped me get through a lot over the last 4 1/2 years by just being here.

#FreeRVA means even more to me now than ever.

welcome to the DMV. I am in Loudoun county so I am about 30 minutes from Frederick.

Advertisement
Tidewater turns out studs. Pen State and VA Tech seem to own Maryland and DC. Notre Dame rules around Baltimore in my opinion. I agree football has moved south but the DMV is talent rich.

Lots of ****** **** in this thread. Welcome to the DMV @RVACane
Im in Vienna/Oakton...Frederick is a cool little town but I dont get there often. May or may not be able to get together for a game...my youngins keep me completely obligated. PM for details.
I know your area too. I like Plaka Grill on Lawyers for gyros when I'm over your way.

Way to hang tight for your kids. I'm happy for you!!!! I moved to SF 8 years ago to be close to my son. Needless to say I have the ex-wife from **** that did everything in her power to interfere with my relationship with my son because I divorced her for cheating. I spent over $60,000 in legal fees. Got zero enforcement from the courts. I actually saw my son more when I lived 1200 miles away. Funny thing was that I wound up living about 1/2 mile away on the same block all by chance. I didn't even know she lived on my block because she would always bring him to my hotel when I traveled down here and she was using her parents address to hide her own. Hopefully, now that he's 18, I can have a relationship with him.

Guys going thru divorce or separation, stay strong for your kids no matter what!!!
Well said and good job hanging in there. Respect for you.

Advertisement
It would be rare for us to recruit a RB from a small town in MD now given the talent in Florida and Georgia. I don't even know if we'd recruit a Chuck Foreman, now. True, we did recruit kid from De Matha a few years ago, the kid who bailed on us at the last minute to go to MD. For the most part, we can find most of that kind of talent at home. We seem to have more trouble finding big linemen at home, especially OLs, and it would be great to find them in other parts of the country. One of our best OLs ever was Dennis Harrah from WVA. Wish we could get some movement from this guy Wright coming out this year. I've read we're playing catch-up although we'll get an OV or so I've read. It's interesting how top kids from around the country are coming to SW Fla to go to IMG.
Dennis Harrah is a name I haven’t heard in years. You are correct about the big men also.

Dennis Harrah is a name I haven’t heard in years. You are correct about the big men also.
John Canei was another OL we had from WVA around early '80's. A few years later we recruited his brother, Rob, but Rob really wasn't much of a player.

After that, I don't remember much of anything by us in that area. Just hasn't been that much talent coming out. Northwest MD, Western PA, all seem to have dried up in recent years.

It's not really worth it for us to spend a lot of time in these areas. Even D.C. area...relatively limited success for UM in this area. That DeMatha RB spurned us at the last minute. Has he even done anything at MD?

Advertisement
Back