USC did it right

get off the Lane train already
No Way GIF by GIPHY News

Advertisement
With how they recently revamped their program. All the big money programs spent on coaches and the movement in CFB at the end of 2021 with LSU, Miami, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, etc. USC is the biggest winner and I expect them to be competing for Championships in the very near future. It makes me wonder, why couldn’t Miami do their rebuild like USC?

Let’s recap a little here. USC was a putrid 4-8 in 2021. They somehow lure Lincoln Riley from Oklahoma, a dude who took the Sooners to several CFP games while coaching multiple Heisman trophy winners during his time in Norman (Miami hasn’t had anyone sniff a Heisman in 20 years). Riley takes Caleb Williams with him and gets him a Heisman and USC a game away from the CFP in year one. Also worth mentioning USC is leaving the PAC-12 for the BIG, which will ultimately benefit the program long term. USC is doing what you need to do to actually compete for championships and restoring your program back to relevancy. USC is “back to work”.

Miami decides to throw cash at Mario Cristobal because he was doing above average at Oregon and he used to play here. Apparently he’s also some recruiting genius. Most people probably don’t even know Cristobal was rumored to be a candidate for the job in 2015 after Golden was canned, but I don’t think he was even granted an interview. While I understand he had some success at Oregon and I’m not trying to take away what he accomplished there, Oregon was pretty darn good before Mario ever got there (National Title Runner Up in 2010, 2014), and they didn’t take much of a step back without Mario in 2022. Oregon has been a strong program over the last 15 years. I don’t really give Mario credit for building anything there. None of his teams actually made the CFP or came close anyways. His most impressive win was beating Ohio State in the Shoe back in 2021. It was followed up with an embarrassing loss to 4-8 Stanford a couple weeks later.

My first HC choice back in 2021 was Lane Kiffin and believe we should have tried harder to get him. He’s a brilliant offensive mind and he would have helped TVD flourish, not regress with the ancient Mario/Gattis offense that focuses on time of possession rather than scoring points. Mario has a transfer portal and a billionaire buddy who can pay any player what they want, so the “not enough talent” argument isn’t going to be strong in 2023. I see people predicting a 7-8 win season for us in 2023 which is ludicrous considering how much money we’re giving Mario. I guess I just don’t understand why everybody thinks the world of this guy, or how he’s worth what we’re paying him. I wish we went the USC route and hired someone who actually knows how to get the most out of their players instead of someone living in 1993 with their “power spread” Lol.
******* crybaby. Go follow their program then.

With how they recently revamped their program. All the big money programs spent on coaches and the movement in CFB at the end of 2021 with LSU, Miami, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, etc. USC is the biggest winner and I expect them to be competing for Championships in the very near future. It makes me wonder, why couldn’t Miami do their rebuild like USC?

Let’s recap a little here. USC was a putrid 4-8 in 2021. They somehow lure Lincoln Riley from Oklahoma, a dude who took the Sooners to several CFP games while coaching multiple Heisman trophy winners during his time in Norman (Miami hasn’t had anyone sniff a Heisman in 20 years). Riley takes Caleb Williams with him and gets him a Heisman and USC a game away from the CFP in year one. Also worth mentioning USC is leaving the PAC-12 for the BIG, which will ultimately benefit the program long term. USC is doing what you need to do to actually compete for championships and restoring your program back to relevancy. USC is “back to work”.

Miami decides to throw cash at Mario Cristobal because he was doing above average at Oregon and he used to play here. Apparently he’s also some recruiting genius. Most people probably don’t even know Cristobal was rumored to be a candidate for the job in 2015 after Golden was canned, but I don’t think he was even granted an interview. While I understand he had some success at Oregon and I’m not trying to take away what he accomplished there, Oregon was pretty darn good before Mario ever got there (National Title Runner Up in 2010, 2014), and they didn’t take much of a step back without Mario in 2022. Oregon has been a strong program over the last 15 years. I don’t really give Mario credit for building anything there. None of his teams actually made the CFP or came close anyways. His most impressive win was beating Ohio State in the Shoe back in 2021. It was followed up with an embarrassing loss to 4-8 Stanford a couple weeks later.

My first HC choice back in 2021 was Lane Kiffin and believe we should have tried harder to get him. He’s a brilliant offensive mind and he would have helped TVD flourish, not regress with the ancient Mario/Gattis offense that focuses on time of possession rather than scoring points. Mario has a transfer portal and a billionaire buddy who can pay any player what they want, so the “not enough talent” argument isn’t going to be strong in 2023. I see people predicting a 7-8 win season for us in 2023 which is ludicrous considering how much money we’re giving Mario. I guess I just don’t understand why everybody thinks the world of this guy, or how he’s worth what we’re paying him. I wish we went the USC route and hired someone who actually knows how to get the most out of their players instead of someone living in 1993 with their “power spread” Lol.
USC somehow lured Lincoln Riley? Money, fertile recruiting base, a university committed to winning at college football, living in LA, and did I mention money?

Advertisement
USC somehow lured Lincoln Riley? Money, fertile recruiting base, a university committed to winning at college football, living in LA, and did I mention money?
For awhile, USC wasn’t really committed to winning. Their HC hires were mostly trash after Pete Caroll. Lane Kiffin was still young and learning how to run a big CFB program. He’s been very successful ever since.

Miami rebuilding 2022, 23, 24 but will take off in 2025.

USC was a top 10 team in 22, will be in 23, and most likely in 24, and 25.

Miami is clearly going about things better. Anybody questioning that is crazy. Got it. Thanks.
So Mario is selling a 4 year rebuild to recruits who can go to a dozen other programs and compete instantly? Yeah, his top 10 recruiting recruiting class this year will be his only one if the 2023 and 2024 seasons resemble anything close to what we saw in 2022. There needs to be progress, A LOT of progress or kids won’t come here.

If it was just USC, it would be one thing, but it seems like it's everyone not named Miami/Mario lately.
Yeah, might also be worth mentioning LSU looked good in year one with Kelly. He finally beat Bama. Even Notre Dame got better towards the end of the season, and I don’t even know who their coach is. The only other year one let down was Oklahoma.

Yeah, might also be worth mentioning LSU looked good in year one with Kelly. He finally beat Bama. Even Notre Dame got better towards the end of the season, and I don’t even know who their coach is. The only other year one let down was Oklahoma.
LSU didn't have a talent problem. How many players did Mario inherit are CFP level players?

Also, USC was taken over by an offensive genius who brought his 5 star QB with him. They had 4 receivers who all had more yards than our top guy and we had Gattis. I'm as disappointed as anyone, because that was easily the worst football season I've ever seen, but it wasn't like when Erickson inherited a stacked roster.

Advertisement
Yeah but he's the type that wants to succeed at the highest level. He's not the type to stay in college as a lifer.
Do you know him personally?

Maybe he want to succeed at the college level first before testing his luck in the much tougher NFL and becoming another Butch Davis, Erickson, Chip Kelly, Spurrier, Saban, Holtz and other college coaches who didn’t fair well in the NFL. Right now his legacy is being the guy who could develop QBs and score points but couldn’t win the big games. He’s 1-4 in bowl games and 0-3 in the college football playoffs. Now he has another QB and no salary cap to hold him back.

Do you know him personally?

Maybe he want to succeed at the college level first before testing his luck in the much tougher NFL and becoming another Butch Davis, Erickson, Chip Kelly, Spurrier, Saban, Holtz and other college coaches who didn’t fair well in the NFL. Right now his legacy is being the guy who could develop QBs and score points but couldn’t win the big games. He’s 1-4 in bowl games and 0-3 in the college football playoffs. Now he has another QB and no salary cap to hold him back.
He seems like the type that will leave when the NFL comes calling.

He seems like the type that will leave when the NFL comes calling.
The NFL came calling before he went to USC. Maybe he eventually will, bc coaches tend to have big egos and big egos tend to want to prove themselves to the masses. I’m just saying if it was such a slam dunk that he was that guy, he could have already left like Rhule and Kliff.

Advertisement
The NFL came calling before he went to USC. Maybe he eventually will, bc coaches tend to have big egos and big egos tend to want to prove themselves to the masses. I’m just saying if it was such a slam dunk that he was that guy, he could have already left like Rhule and Kliff.

Kingsbury didn't leave, He got fired at TTU and failed up to an NFL head coaching gig. Now He's positioning Himself to fail up again if & when Riley decides to bolt for the NFL.

Lol why y’all so sure lane kiffin wanted to come to Miami ?? USC got Riley because usc is in LA , the perfect place for the NIL and a guy like him

Advertisement
Kingsbury didn't leave, He got fired at TTU and failed up to an NFL head coaching gig. Now He's positioning Himself to fail up again if & when Riley decides to bolt for the NFL.
He was, but then he accepted the OC job at USC before deciding to leave and go to the nfl before that OC role even got started. I just meant they had NFL offers just like Riley has. Kliff can get canned and land an nfl job….so to think Riley hasn’t been contacted numerous times is just not logical. NFL teams started reaching out to him at OU.

Lol why y’all so sure lane kiffin wanted to come to Miami ?? USC got Riley because usc is in LA , the perfect place for the NIL and a guy like him
And Ole Miss is in Mississippi. I don’t know if Lane wanted to come to Miami or not, but he doesn’t strike me as a Deep South kind of guy.

But I suppose being in the SEC with the big boys has benefits.

Advertisement
Back