USC did it right

Was Lincoln Riley going to ever coach at Miami? No

Was Oklahoma good before Lincoln Riley? Yes

USC doesn't have anything to do with Miami, nor does Oklahoma.

Who knows what the future holds but your post is constructed like a little kid that saw the end results, then screams "I told you so". Keep in mind, Lincoln Riley has never won **** as a head coach. Bob Stoops did though, so in reality, Riley was a disappointment for Oklahoma in terms of overall success.

Unless you are Saban, Meyer, Smart, or Dabo, you are pretty much in the same boat and right now Dabo's boat is beginning to sink, while Urban played grabass one too many times.

Lincoln Riley has only been a HC since 2017. He is 66-13, 4 Big 12 titles, 0-3 in PLAYOFF games, 1-4 (3 were PLAYOFF games) in bowl games.

Are you telling me that because he hasn’t won a national championship YET or a playoff game YET, he is in the same boat as anyone not named Saban, Urban, Smart or Dabo?

Then i guess you believe Miami’s 2017 season was no different than Miami’s 2004, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 because Miami didn’t “win ****”.

No offense, but I think your post lacks some perspective. I spent several thousand dollars last year taking the whole family to see Miami vs FSU. Just like I did in 2017 for Miami vs Notre Dame.

Nah bruh, what Lincoln Riley has done in his 5 short years is put a product on the field that the fans have no problem spending money to go see, and that YOU, me and the rest of us would KILL to have had most of the past 18 years.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Who knows what the future holds but your post is constructed like a little kid that saw the end results, then screams "I told you so". Keep in mind, Lincoln Riley has never won **** as a head coach. Bob Stoops did though, so in reality, Riley was a disappointment for Oklahoma in terms of overall success.

Unless you are Saban, Meyer, Smart, or Dabo, you are pretty much in the same boat and right now Dabo's boat is beginning to sink, while Urban played grabass one too many times.
To say Lincoln Riley didn’t do anything as a HC is ridiculous. 4 CFP appearances and 3 Heisman winners. He even took a below average QB (Jalen Hurts) and almost got him a Heisman too. Hurts was benched at Alabama. Most never thought he would play for anything relevant again. Also, have you seen how bad Oklahoma is without Riley? They somehow got blasted by their arch rival Texas harder (49-0) than we did against FSU. No way Oklahoma gets shutout with Riley. Texas wasn’t even good last year.

You’re essentially dismissing the 120 something active coaches who haven’t won a National Championship. Winning a Natty in today’s CFB is nearly impossible. It’s reserved for about 5 programs, Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, and maybe Clemson or LSU. It’s more top heavy than I can ever remember. The only reason TCU snuck in the playoffs is because Alabama slipped up once more than they could have allowed. If Alabama didn’t drop a game to LSU, a rematch against Georgia would have been much closer.

Those 5 programs I mentioned are the only teams to win a CFP Championship in 9 seasons. The runner up is usually one of those 5. The BCS era had Tennessee, Oklahoma, Miami, FSU, USC, Texas, Alabama, Florida, Ohio State, and Auburn win a National Championship. That’s twice as many programs winning it all compared to the CFP. Sure, the BCS lasted longer, but if you’re going to tell me Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, or LSU won’t win at least 1 NC out of the next 5, giving us 5 new NC winners we haven’t seen since the inception of the CFP, I’m not buying it.

I continue to pray something shakes up CFB and makes it interesting again.

Bro.. Lincoln Riley has accomplished everything as a HC except a natty.. he’s been a hc less than a decade. And he’s not even 40 yet. You are HIGH

Bro.. Lincoln Riley has accomplished everything as a HC except a natty.. he’s been a hc less than a decade. And he’s not even 40 yet. You are HIGH
Bob Stoops won at OU. Why didn't Riley?

People here talk in hindsight. Saban could have came here and did terrible with a lack of commitment to the program. Who knows what the future holds, but Lincoln Riley was never coming to Miami even mentioning his name has nothing to do with Miami.

This may be a thread started up by a troll but the topic is interesting.

It is hard to say which program did it right and which one did it wrong in one year. At least give it three recruiting cycles.

All that said, USC has to play defense before I say they did it right and that may take more than three recruiting cycles from what I have seen of their coaches past and present.

Last edited:
Advertisement
To say Lincoln Riley didn’t do anything as a HC is ridiculous. 4 CFP appearances and 3 Heisman winners. He even took a below average QB (Jalen Hurts) and almost got him a Heisman too. Hurts was benched at Alabama. Most never thought he would play for anything relevant again. Also, have you seen how bad Oklahoma is without Riley? They somehow got blasted by their arch rival Texas harder (49-0) than we did against FSU. No way Oklahoma gets shutout with Riley. Texas wasn’t even good last year.

You’re essentially dismissing the 120 something active coaches who haven’t won a National Championship. Winning a Natty in today’s CFB is nearly impossible. It’s reserved for about 5 programs, Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, and maybe Clemson or LSU. It’s more top heavy than I can ever remember. The only reason TCU snuck in the playoffs is because Alabama slipped up once more than they could have allowed. If Alabama didn’t drop a game to LSU, a rematch against Georgia would have been much closer.

Those 5 programs I mentioned are the only teams to win a CFP Championship in 9 seasons. The runner up is usually one of those 5. The BCS era had Tennessee, Oklahoma, Miami, FSU, USC, Texas, Alabama, Florida, Ohio State, and Auburn win a National Championship. That’s twice as many programs winning it all compared to the CFP. Sure, the BCS lasted longer, but if you’re going to tell me Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, or LSU won’t win at least 1 NC out of the next 5, giving us 5 new NC winners we haven’t seen since the inception of the CFP, I’m not buying it.

I continue to pray something shakes up CFB and makes it interesting again.
What does Riley have to do with Venables and Oklahoma? He's not there. Has nothing to do with anything.

I'm not dismissing anything, but you can't trash Mario for having success at Oregon just because Bellotti and Kelly had success there, while at the same time crowing Riley for Oklahoma when Stoops won a national title before Riley. You guys are just making stuff up to frame your argument.

I'm not trashing Lincoln Riley at all. I'm simply saying, you can't argue against Mario for the same examples used to support Riley.

Lincoln Riley has only been a HC since 2017. He is 66-13, 4 Big 12 titles, 0-3 in PLAYOFF games, 1-4 (3 were PLAYOFF games) in bowl games.

Are you telling me that because he hasn’t won a national championship YET or a playoff game YET, he is in the same boat as anyone not named Saban, Urban, Smart or Dabo?

Then i guess you believe Miami’s 2017 season was no different than Miami’s 2004, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22 because Miami didn’t “win ****”.

No offense, but I think your post lacks some perspective. I spent several thousand dollars last year taking the whole family to see Miami vs FSU. Just like I did in 2017 for Miami vs Notre Dame.

Nah bruh, what Lincoln Riley has done in his 5 short years is put a product on the field that the fans have no problem spending money to go see, and that YOU, me and the rest of us would KILL to have had most of the past 18 years.
Miami's 17 season was exciting to watch, but we weren't any **** better than many of those years. There's a reason we lost the last 3 and could have easily lost 2 more and went 7-5. It's like you guys don't even watch the games. We were 2 plays from being 7-5 in 2017.

Advertisement

Both Riley and Cristobal are hard workers. That's a key part of success. Riley also has a brilliant offensive mind. So as I see it, it comes down to smart and hardworking, vs hard working. I've seen lots of successful people that I would describe as hardworking but not exceptionally bright.

Personally I think we did our hiring backwards, especially in light of how much work UM needed. Should have hired a "great mind" coach (guru on offense or defense) first to find a way to get the most out of the talent on the roster. Great mind coaches attract top talent because players know they are likely going to put up good stats and it will help getting drafted. Culture might not be there yet, but good scheme+talent is enough to win a lot of games and change the perception of a program quickly. It's not that hard to win 10 games in a bad conference with just the tiniest bit of coaching competence. Then if /when the great mind coach gets a NFL HC job, you replace him with a Cristobal type, who will be good at maintaining success and instilling culture. Cristobal can still succeed because of his work ethic, but as I've said before, I think will take at least twice as long (6 years ish) to get the program on track as it would have if we'd hired a Kiffin /Riley great mind type.

Miami's 17 season was exciting to watch, but we weren't any **** better than many of those years. There's a reason we lost the last 3 and could have easily lost 2 more and went 7-5. It's like you guys don't even watch the games. We were 2 plays from being 7-5 in 2017.
That's not the point. The point is that it was exciting football and we were in the playoff hunt going into the last week. Riley does that EVERY YEAR. MOST coaches even outside of the guys you mentioned DON'T DO THAT. MOST coaches aren't doing that consistently as he has. Mario certainly hasn't.

What does Riley have to do with Venables and Oklahoma? He's not there. Has nothing to do with anything.

I'm not dismissing anything, but you can't trash Mario for having success at Oregon just because Bellotti and Kelly had success there, while at the same time crowing Riley for Oklahoma when Stoops won a national title before Riley. You guys are just making stuff up to frame your argument.

I'm not trashing Lincoln Riley at all. I'm simply saying, you can't argue against Mario for the same examples used to support Riley.
How many years did Stoops win a championship before Riley took over? Nearly 20 years, a full generation of players ago. You’re acting like Riley inherited this incredible machine Stoops built. Oklahoma was pretty good before Stoops got there too. Riley actually made OU better as an assistant during Stoops final years there. It’s why they gave him the job.

Advertisement
Talent wise, the 2017 team wasn’t that great. I mean how many games can you expect to win with Malik Rosier as your QB1? I remember going into the season thinking we were probably worse than the previous year in terms of talent. I actually like Malik and think people overlook the season he had, but it’s obvious he was limited in many ways. Great runner, not the best passer.

2017 is one of the only times I’ve watched Miami overachieve with its roster. I’d argue the 2016 team was far more talented.

Bob Stoops won at OU. Why didn't Riley?

People here talk in hindsight. Saban could have came here and did terrible with a lack of commitment to the program. Who knows what the future holds, but Lincoln Riley was never coming to Miami even mentioning his name has nothing to do with Miami.
He won it once in nearly 20 years. Give Riley 20 I’m more than sure he’ll get a chip

Advertisement
Riley and Ryan Day are almost the same person and I doubt either one of them win a championship even with the silver spoons they have been given.

Sometimes when I hop in threads like these, it becomes very apparent that many in this fan base are home schooled, & have no sense of the real world; meaning, many are so fixated on The Miami Hurricanes, that they have zero clue to CFB in general.

This notion that Riley, & now Day, are to be knocked b/c they haven’t won the big one is one of the more asinine line of reasoning I’ve seen to bash a coach. First of all, do you know how incredibly hard it is to win a Nat’l Championship in CFB? Well how about this; there are currently 130 FBS teams (and yes, that number has expanded over the years). Since 1973, take a guess at how many programs have been declared a Nat’l Champion? Let me help u out: 22 teams. Yes, that’s 17% of all of FBS that have won a Nat’l title, at least one time, in 40 yrs.

1. Bama: 10*
2. Miami: 5*
3. USC: 4*
4. OU: 4*
5. ND: 3*
6. UGA: 3
7. Clemson: 3
8. FSU: 3
9. UF: 3
10. LSU: 3*
11. Nebraska: 3*
12. PSU: 2
13. OSU: 2
14. CU: 1*
15. UW: 1*
16. Pitt: 1
17. BYU: 1
18. UofM: 1*
19. GT: 1*
20. UT: 1
21. UTenn: 1
22. Auburn: 1
* = Atleast one split Nat’l Title.

So let that little fact check sink in. You want a coach who constantly have ur program in contention, vying for the grand prize, but also steady w/ competing for NY6 bowl births, too. Those r revenue & recruiting drivers. To say Riley hasn’t done anything b/c he’s never won the big one is dumb af. Getting to The Final 4 is an accomplishment in itself; having a team always in that conversation is outstanding, especially in today’s landscape of CFB.

If Mario was a consistent 10+ wins/guy here, I wouldn’t be mad at all, b/c that means our product is good enough to compete for that ultimate prize, and maybe a recruit here or there will get us over the hump (see Clemson w/ Watson & Lawrence).

Currently, there are only 5 active coaches w/ chips under their names:
-Brown
-Fisher
-Saban
-Smart
-Swinney

5 coaches out of 130 FBS coaches or slightly under 4% of all active coaches. There’s no need to try to tear down Riley to make ya’ll selves feel better. ****, if Riley hasn’t done chit, then Mario REALLY hasn’t done chit. U see that double edge sword in reasoning?

SC got a great one, not on the levels of the 3 S’s, but a tier below. We got a good one, who’s not on the same plane as Riley (yet). Both programs made heavy investments; SC’s investment turned into dividends yr 1; hopefully, our investment provides great long term dividends.

Last edited:
Meh. They're taking short cuts bringing in anything and everything from the portal. Totally ignoring culture and work ethic. Not trying to go full Mario bro here but it's the reality and there is a valid reason why the only programs to win championships in recent memory are Saban, Saban's disciple Kirby, and Dabo who has maintained the best locker room and culture in America for the last 8-9 years. Then obviously Orgeron with the most talented team in college football since the 2001 Canes.

That being said.. USC could sneak in this year, if there ever was a chance that formula will work. Heisman/Number 1 overall QB, dynamic offense, mediocre defense - but only because Alabama, Georgia, and Ohio State are going to be the weakest at QB they've been, individually and collectively, in the last 10 years. Still bet they choke because of the lack of culture.. just depends when/where they choke because the playoff gives you a 2nd chance now.

Slightly off-topic, but just chiming on to say I would hold off on Georgia being weaker at QB. Sure, Bennett massively exceeded expectations, but most reports seem to suggest Carson Beck has been lighting it up. I’ve got a lot of family there and follow them somewhat loosely.

Wouldn’t be surprised to see their offense be even better this season, which would be seriously bad news for everybody else’s title hopes in ‘23 lol

Advertisement
Back