USC and UCLA to B1G

I could see the SEC trying to take UNC and NC State to open a TV market. I imagine that USCe and UF aren’t too open to the idea of taking Clemson and Miami/FSU.

The Big 10 wanted new markets. We need to try and make the move there with Clemson. Although the idea of our kids playing in winter games is not ideal lol
People still have nightmares of UM at the Sun Bowl a few years ago but our guys have had no trouble adapting when playing for the Vikings, Packers or the Bills. They will adjust.

Advertisement
I wonder if the basketball blue bloods would join together for basketball purposes. UNC, Duke and Kansas hold a ton of value.
It feels like those schools going Big 10 makes more sense. Or a more modern day version of what the Big East became. Some weird times. This may be the best lifeline to us. If Duke, Wake, Virginia, etc. say to **** with football at this level, it may be the get out of jail (grant of rights) card we need.

I wonder if the basketball blue bloods would join together for basketball purposes. UNC, Duke and Kansas hold a ton of value.
The new commissioner of the Mountain West, who used to work in the Big 10 and PAC 12, was on Finebaum and offered an interesting perspective. She said the y should explore a way to separate football from other sports, ie You belong to super conference but leagues stay intact for all other sports. Not totally fair for let behinds but less of a pain for many, such as USC fencing.

Advertisement
Totally hear you. The 2015-2019 source didn't include bowl games or championship games. But your point on ACC Network still sticks.

The 2017 season is the most interesting one to me. When we're on, everybody wants to tune in.

If you replace ACC opponents with B1G and SEC opponents, you likely have Miami catapult into top 10 viewership easily. Potentially top 5 if we're rolling.
The higher ranked teams tend to get slotted into the premium time slots on the premium networks. A nationally competitive MIami squad is a ratings bonanza. Even an 8-9 win Miami team will draw big audiences for premier games. Part of the problem with playing in a basketball conference is half our opponents don't have any type of fanbase outside their immediate area. Nobody outside of Florida and Raleigh cares about the Miami/NC State game playing on the ACC network. There's just so few premier ACC games, especially if FSU is bad and Clemson or Notre Dame aren't on the schedule.

Assuming that happened and the NC schools want to stay together, Louisville would make a lot of sense. Or VT.
SEC should just accelerate the whole thing and take Miami, FSU, Clemson, VT, NC State and Louisville. A lot of people don't realize that NC State is the red-headed stepchild of the big 3 NC schools. UNC and Duke drive Tobacco Road and NC State would dip for the SEC in a heartbeat. UNC and Duke are arrogant and a ton of their power brokers couldn't care less about football.

Then have the B1G add UW, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, Stanford and ND.

Two mega-conferences with 22 teams each.

I believe Washington & Oregon go to same Super Conf.

Just being honest, what in the FVCK are you arguing about? Did I ever say otherwise?

THAT'S NOT THE POINT. I was simply showing how the Big 10 would lock down 11 or 12 of the 13 largest states in the US, and you are going on and on and on about motherfvcking Oregon?

Move along already.

Last edited:
Fspoo is a better fit in the sec than we are. The big ten could be a fit. We are a good academic school which they like. They’d cover every corner of the country too if they got us

Advertisement
I think we need to be proactive but not panicky in this situation. Thankfully we have a pro in Rad and an administration that is pumping resources into the program. Between Rad and the university leadership (Rudy Fernandez) I trust that they will make sure that we have a chair to seat on in the new "Power Conferences".

Here's why I think our chair will be safe:

1. Looking forward Miami will be at worst a Top 10-15 team on the field and likely will be in the top 5-10 consistently within the next 5 years. With the amount of money being spent on coaches, facilities, and resources and the renewed emphasis on recruiting (with elite recruiters and the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country) there is no way Miami is not consistently winning at least 9-10 games moving forward.

2. It's all about the $. And while Miami has been down the last 15-20 years its still generating revenue at a top 25-40 level. Looking forward its not unreasonable to project that Miami will be a top 10-15 Revenue generator if they start consistently winning. That estimate honestly may be too conservative, in the early 2000's we were top 3. Add the fact that we're in a major TV market and Miami is attractive.

3. Recruiting Recruiting Recruiting! We're in the most fertile recruiting grounds in the country. And any conference that wants to compete for championships will need to come down to Miami to recruit. What better way to showcase your product and try to poach than to play Miami at Miami. Again Looking forward Miami will be competitive in the recruiting trail. Conferences will need to come to us to try and poach away.

I think the next piece in this is ND. The BIG will try to force their hand and make them join. If they do the ACC is all but dead and Miami needs to have an agreement in place to join the SEC/BIG asap. If ND joins the ACC then there's an opportunity for there to be a "P3" moving forward. I actually would love to have an ACC with ND/Clemson/Miami/FSU as their de-facto powers competing against the BIG and SEC.

I know that folks are shell shocked from the last 20 years but these conference leaders are looking to make the most $ looking forward. And in my opinion Miami has re-positioned itself to be competitive in all facets of the sport at a top 10 level. The fans of other teams may scoff at the idea of Miami joining the BIG/SEC but in the end all that matters is Winning and $... Miami in the past has shown to be the epitome of both and is poised to regain its stature shortly!

Except that local market fees are less and less important as people move away from cable and so many of the games are carried on national/streaming channels.

Please...just, please don't. Have you actually read about the Big 10 Network's deal? If so, you would see that the cable networks ALREADY AGREED to pay the Big 10 a premium carriage fee if they add NEW STATES to their footprint.

You can talk about "local market fees", but that's not what I'm talking about. Are you another one of these young posters who are going to tell us how "streaming is the future"? If you just do the research on the Big 10 Network, you can understand how it throws off so much money. Please. That's all I'm asking you. I don't want to hear about "local market fees" when I'm talking about enhanced carriage prices.

The new commissioner of the Mountain West, who used to work in the Big 10 and PAC 12, was on Finebaum and offered an interesting perspective. She said the y should explore a way to separate football from other sports, ie You belong to super conference but leagues stay intact for all other sports. Not totally fair for let behinds but less of a pain for many, such as USC fencing.
This was brought up a few years ago, to create a CFB Premier League with 48 top programs and move them out of NCAA sports.... and have a sharing agreement for $$$.... money is in the streaming rights for marquee matchups and individual programs not conf based TV contracts

Last edited:
Advertisement
I don't think the grant of rights was the problem, it was actually very smart for protecting the conference from being poached (which is the Commissioner's job). The problem is the incredibly ****** TV deal they agreed to.

Wrong again. Is this your plan to be a contrarian in every post?

Please re-read what I said. I didn't say the grant-of-rights, in and of itself, was the problem. I specifically said it was INSANE for the ACC to have a grant-of-rights THAT LASTS A FULL DECADE LONGER THAN THE ONES FOR THE BIG 12 AND THE PAC 12.

So while schools in their conference are now FREE to respond to the changing collegiate sports landscape, the 14 (or 15) idiots in the ACC are going to have to litigate and pay penalties JUST TO DO WHAT THE BIG 12 AND PAC 12 SCHOOLS CAN DO FOR FREE.

And THAT is what was stupid about our grant-of-rights. NOT that it "happened", but that is soooooo long in its duration.

SEC should just accelerate the whole thing and take Miami, FSU, Clemson, VT, NC State and Louisville. A lot of people don't realize that NC State is the red-headed stepchild of the big 3 NC schools. UNC and Duke drive Tobacco Road and NC State would dip for the SEC in a heartbeat. UNC and Duke are arrogant and a ton of their power brokers couldn't care less about football.

Then have the B1G add UW, Oregon, Utah, Colorado, Stanford and ND.

Two mega-conferences with 22 teams each.
As long as there is money to be made, Duke and UNC will play along...

Assuming that happened and the NC schools want to stay together, Louisville would make a lot of sense. Or VT.

Bet the farm on VaTech over Louisville. The only reason that the VA legislature had that "you gotta take VT" thing was so VaTech wouldn't be left behind in the old Big East.

If VaTech goes to the SEC though? None of the VA legislators will have a problem with that. Say what we will about the "rest" of the ACC, they will still be SOMETHING. Whether they merge with remnants of the Big 12/Pac 12/other G5 teams, the ACC can survive at a lesser level.

Say, above the old Big East, but not quite SEC/Big 10.

Advertisement
Because TV viewership numbers can vary depending on a ton or factors, you would have to use a fairly large (multiple seasons) sample size to get a realistic number of average audience.

Using MIami for example, I would have to assume that because they play a significant number of games on the ACC network ( a network many people don't have on their cable packages) it's going to affect viewership. As evidenced by the fact that only Clemson (19th) and FSU(25th) were ahead of Miami in 2021 in the ACC and neither of them was ranked particularly high either. Conference champ Pitt and runner up Wake Forrest ranked 53rd and 55th respectively.

You also have to factor in things like championship games and bowl games which often aren't competing with any other games for viewership. We didn't play in a bowl game in 2021. Even a mid tier bowl would still get tons of views because it's often the only game available during it's time slot.
I don't think viewership of the local team is a significant factor although it helps. It's seems to be more about expansion of the cable footprint. Nobody in the Northeast gives a rat's *** about Rutgers (except alumni). But NY metro market adds a lot of households for the Big10 to stream OSU, Mich, Wisc, etc. games.

Viewership of key matchups of top teams would be carried on the major networks as always. When UM gets good (once again), we'll be well represented. CBS, ABC, ESPN, et al. will see ratings potential.

I'm curious how Stanford feels right now. If they feel left behind by USC and UCLA, they would give the SEC a big academic bump.

Big 10 is definitely going to pods. Think about the Pac 12 schools, and how many the Big 10 might take.

4 teams - 1 4-team pod (USC, UCLA, Washington, Oregon)
5 teams - 1 5-team pod (likely adding Stanford)
6 teams - 1 6-team pod (likely adding Cal)
8 teams - 2 4-team pods (likely adding Arizona and Colorado, with Utah as a distant 3rd choice)

Wrong again. Is this your plan to be a contrarian in every post?

Please re-read what I said. I didn't say the grant-of-rights, in and of itself, was the problem. I specifically said it was INSANE for the ACC to have a grant-of-rights THAT LASTS A FULL DECADE LONGER THAN THE ONES FOR THE BIG 12 AND THE PAC 12.

So while schools in their conference are now FREE to respond to the changing collegiate sports landscape, the 14 (or 15) idiots in the ACC are going to have to litigate and pay penalties JUST TO DO WHAT THE BIG 12 AND PAC 12 SCHOOLS CAN DO FOR FREE.

And THAT is what was stupid about our grant-of-rights. NOT that it "happened", but that is soooooo long in its duration.
I agree that Miami and the other attractive schools are at a disadvantage, but whole heartedly disagree on the grant of rights - the point of the grant of rights was keeping the ACC together and it is doing just that. Do you really think the ACC would be in a better place if Miami, FSU, Clemson and other attractive schools were able to leave with a low bar? The PAC 12 is probably not going to exist soon and if it does manage to stick around it will almost certainly be much weaker. The BIG 12 is in a worse place b/c OU and UT left.

So yeah, it has put Miami, FSU, Clemson, etc at a disadvantage on the national landscape and maybe those schools should have pushed to make the deal less restrictive so that they had more flexibility, but it does not do the ACC any good if those schools had more flexibility to leave. As bad a position that ACC is in now, it would be worse if those other schools could leave.

Advertisement
Back