USC and UCLA to B1G

The logical fits for the Big 10, among those I think might be available, are UNC (but recent scandals) and UVA. The Big 10 liked them, and maybe Georgia Tech, before. They really wanted Texas and ND but, obviously, those programs made other deals.

Advertisement
IMO it's too late for the ACC.

Miami, Clemson, UNC, and FSU are not thinking about trying to convince other teams to come to the ACC and be apart of a conference locked into a horrible deal. That would be a lot more difficult then just saying "SYKE! BYE *****!"

The big teams are probably just trying to figure out do they go SEC or Big 10.

Join the ACC as a full-time member.

ND's TV deal with NBC is up in 2025. It currently pays them $15M. Even if they get double that in a few years, they're still $30-50M behind what B10 and SEC teams will be getting every year on their new deals.

It's no longer viable to remain independent. Join the ACC, rip up the old deal that's currently killing the ACC, and continue on.
But they aren't functionally independent. They have to play X ACC conference games per year in football, and are full members for all other sports except mens' hockey (Big 10, I think). If they are to flat out join a conferee, why the ACC over the Big 10?

Don't get me wrong, I hate ND, but they ain't dumb. They made the ACC deal, in the first place, to have some football scheduling control. Threaten to take that away and why would they stay?

What if I told you, Miami is moving behind the scenes?
I have no idea what you've heard and I'm not "in-the-know" here AT ALL but I'd be willing to bet it's true. I've floated my preference to join the Big Ten if (now when) the super-conference model emerges to people more connected than myself and their responses were always extra coy. Basically only willing to drop a tidbit of there being possible mutual interest there and that the people that default to geography (ie the SEC) would be surprised.

Advertisement
I have said for a while now, eventually there will only be 4 main P5 conferences. PAC12, B1G,ACC and SEC. Maybe 20-25 schools per conference. Smaller schools will not be able to compete with the big programs money and will drop to G5 level. G5 will then have their own National Champion as well as the P5 National Champion.
It may take 10-15 years to get there, but that is where I see things headed, especially with NIL now in play.

I have no idea what you've heard and I'm not "in-the-know" here AT ALL but I'd be willing to bet it's true. I've floated my preference to join the Big Ten if (now when) the super-conference model emerges to people more connected than myself and their responses were always extra coy. Basically only willing to drop a tidbit of there being possible mutual interest there and that the people that default to geography (ie the SEC) would be surprised.

All I’ll say is we have true leadership now. Be patient.

Advertisement
Or four. Pac 12 and ACC scavenge the Big 12?

Notre Dame needs to defecate or get off the bidet.
I'd LOVE for Notre Dame to completely f*ck this up though and roll the dice on trying to remain independent in a 2 conference CFB landscape. They end up having to play all the service academies and UCF twice a year.

But they aren't functionally independent. They have to play X ACC conference games per year in football, and are full members for all other sports except mens' hockey (Big 10, I think). If they are to flat out join a conferee, why the ACC over the Big 10?

Don't get me wrong, I hate ND, but they ain't dumb. They made the ACC deal, in the first place, to have some football scheduling control. Threaten to take that away and why would they stay?

1. It's about the money. If the ACC can get $10-$20M more per year on their TV deal (they have the option to renegotiate if the ACC adds teams) than what they'd get remaining independent, they'll list.

2. The ACC has always been a better cultural fit for ND. BC, Duke, Wake Forest, Miami, GT and Syracuse are all smaller, academic-focused institutions. Big10 is full of major public land-grant universities and Northwestern. It's always made much more sense from that ND's perspective, which is why they have the ACC deal in the first place.

Stanford is one of the best schools across the board in the country all around and if the Big 10 isn’t worried about the cost of the Rutgers-UCLA swim meet I’m not worried about adding Stanford to the ACC as potentially the biggest fish behind ND.

Unless the Big 10 adds all 4 of them…or us

Advertisement
I'd LOVE for Notre Dame to completely f*ck this up though and roll the dice on trying to remain independent in a 2 conference CFB landscape. They end up having to play all the service academies and UCF twice a year.

While that would be hilarious, if it becomes known that ND is looking to join a conference, there will be no shortage of suitors for them.

Advertisement
I could see the Big Ten taking a package deal of Miami, FSU, Pitt and Notre Dame in a second. You know they HAVE to be looking at Florida now since they just stole California and Texas is already gone.

Would they take Pitt over someone like WVU or Va Tech

I wonder if Mario got word of this prior to him leaving Oregon (I genuinely don't know, just proposing the thought).

We need to get the absolute f^ck out of this conference. Tobacco Road has been ******** us for years, it's time to make them pay. Forget forcing ND to add because that's just a headache: there are going to be two major conferences, maybe three when it's all said and done. I could see the rest of the Pac-12, Big 12 and remnants of the ACC merging, with the prized possessions of the latter either joining the SEC or Big 10. It just makes too much sense from a monetary standpoint.

Advertisement
Back