Urban Meyer on Miami Job

Advertisement
It’s changed huge. Since 2002 the state of Ohio has 2 (could be 3 this season) state of Alabama 6, Louisiana has 2 (could be 3 this season) California has 2, South Carolina has 2 (could be 3 this season)

Florida has 3 (UF and FSU), but Florida schools haven’t even been in the conversation in nearly a decade.

OSU, Bama and Clemson have been cleaning up, no big surprise.
They have been the hot teams.
Take those team's titles away (8) in the last 10 years you have 2 other titles. FSU and Auburn.

The CFB circle of life will change.
Hopefully.
Soon.

Fine, either way you're eventually going to find out that the glory days are over.

Glory days are over?!?!

LOL. What year do you think this is????

Did you fall asleep in 2003, pull a Rip Van Winkle, and just wake up?

Yeah the glory days are over. They’ve been over for a long time.

Was just going to post this.

Colin Cowherd and Urban were discussing glamour jobs versus really amazing jobs in college football.

Stated schools like USC and Georgia who Colin describes as glamour jobs are amazing jobs because they have elite talent that’s developed, while FSU/UF/UM are somewhat glamour jobs because Florida athletes can be more raw.

Not entirely wrong, but if you’re gonna call OSU an amazing job (which he did of course), then so are the Florida schools because even with underdeveloped talent it’s still a better talent base than the Ohio area.

Miami does require a certain kind of person though, other jobs can be done by pretty much everyone if competent. Miami requires a unique person and skill set.
Where he doesnt elaborate is the ohio area is loaded with training facilities. The northeast & midwest area in general. It's not that the high school coaching is better at all even though it's more of an actual job while down here it's almost a favor to be on a staff other than the head coach. Alot of it is simply based on friendships opposed to qualifications. That's why the overall coaching is better opposed to the talent base is better here & youth football as well. But its facilities that really seperate the areas from each other because the people employed there train for a living and coach kids up.

Advertisement
It’s changed huge. Since 2002 the state of Ohio has 2 (could be 3 this season) state of Alabama 6, Louisiana has 2 (could be 3 this season) California has 2, South Carolina has 2 (could be 3 this season)

Florida has 3 (UF and FSU), but Florida schools haven’t even been in the conversation in nearly a decade.

Yeah, but those schools have had Saban, Tressel, Meyer, & Carrol, while we've had a parade of coRches since Butch left, and Butch was a sort of a coRch Himself.

There are some questionable view points in this thread. Really thinking some are just trolling.

Ppl thinking that Clemson is better because they are getting more developed prospects?

What your excuse for why Texas sucks and is on the verge of firing two coaches that had success at other places?

Oh that right, because you still have to develop a kid at the coach level and have a sound scheme.

Last edited:
Miami’s recruiting really hasn’t been good in a long time. Ever since the (overrated) 2008 class, we’ve consistently gotten marginal top 20 classes. It’s not just coaching.

IDK why we have so many NFL players.

Advertisement
Talk about a desperate deflection. It's the same type of attitude that dominates this forum especially from moderators during the offseason, lending to ridiculous expectations every season. I'm fairly sure Urban Meyer didn't say let's go back to 1983 and talk about overall talent level state by state beginning at that point. This guy is not looking at a handful of guys on tape. In that capacity he is visiting high school campuses all over the country, watching practice, talking to coaches, and getting an overall feel for not only individual players but how the program is run.

Comparisons and conclusions state to state are inevitable, and proper. As alway, properly applied generalities will overwhelm specifics. The desperate types here cling to long ago dusty specifics. Urban Meyer is describing the devastating generalities that translate to how these kids emerge from high school in one area compared to another.

If he had used the identical criteria but favored the Miami job, posters here would be rejoicing...and making inept assumptions toward Meyer's future.

I'm old enough to remember the Nick Kotys teams at Coral Gables during the late '60s. Those programs looked liked mini college teams. I have mentioned this many times here and previously on Rivals dating to 2004 or thereabouts. There are clips of those teams on YouTube. In recent years I started looking at current high school clips from other states, and specifically Ohio. Those programs still look like mini college teams. I mentioned that here months ago. Meanwhile the 10+ high school games I attend annually in the Miami area don't resemble that at all, other than perhaps Columbus. Every other program I see relies on sheer athleticism and unencumbered prancing touchdowns. If you sit low enough in unattended games you can hear the sideline barking and instructions. It is primitive to say the least.

I watched a great talent like Frierson at Coral Gables. But no question he was raw. He was a prancing arrogant celebratory type. I loved it because it fit the Canes mode of old. I'm certain if you placed a guy in a different program in let's say Ohio he would receive more focused disciplined training. He would be far beyond where he is right now. That's what Urban Meyer is seeing and describing. It attaches across the high school programs as a whole.

You guys are cherry picking NFL numbers from years beyond high school as if it ruins the point. Perhaps the point you don't want to accept is that the reason Canes coaching appears to be subpar is that the players they inherit are not where they should be. Guys like Saban and Meyer and Dabo have the luxury of identifying elite imports who fit their criteria not only in talent level but overall maturity and development.

The NFL prefers Florida players. Not historically. Now. In 2019. No need to tell me another anecdote from the 1960s.

Most players in the league. Most players drafted in the 2019 draft. Five players from South Florida in last year’s first round alone. That’s more than Texas. More than California. More than Georgia. More than Ohio.

Yes, Florida players are undercoached in high school. A good college coach wins big with Florida talent. Urban Meyer would know.

The NFL prefers Florida players. Most players in the league. Most players drafted in the 2019 draft. Five players from South Florida in last year’s first round alone.

That’s more than Texas. More than California. More than Georgia. More than Ohio.

This is not history. This is 2019. No need tell me another anecdote from the late 1960s.

Yes, Florida players are undercoached in high school. A good college coach wins big with Florida talent. Urban Meyer would know.

Urban meyer can win anywhere he won at freakin Utah.

Even if u look at alabama who are their top 5 players jeudy is one but who else?

Its Juedy and that’s it, and even though the hype machine says different, I am not sure he’s top 5 on their roster. And I know he’s not a top 2 WR on that team. Smith and Waddell are better, no matter what the hype machine says. And Waddell is waaaaaay better.

Advertisement
Was just going to post this.

Colin Cowherd and Urban were discussing glamour jobs versus really amazing jobs in college football.

Stated schools like USC and Georgia who Colin describes as glamour jobs are amazing jobs because they have elite talent that’s developed, while FSU/UF/UM are somewhat glamour jobs because Florida athletes can be more raw.

Not entirely wrong, but if you’re gonna call OSU an amazing job (which he did of course), then so are the Florida schools because even with underdeveloped talent it’s still a better talent base than the Ohio area.

Miami does require a certain kind of person though, other jobs can be done by pretty much everyone if competent. Miami requires a unique person and skill set.

No discussion of elite bag dropping? :zczkqmritjdsoaq.jpg:

A) The florida school system is a joke, and the coaching down there is an embarrassment. Same morons who think Miami needs “Miami area coaches” are the ones corching up these players.

B) Florida produces a ton of NFL first rounders, but we dont land them anymore. No bags, an apathetic admin, and the worst coaches in the sport for 15 years will do that. Yearby vs Cook is the quintessential example.

C) Miami never relied on South Florida players for OL and QB, the two most important areas of a team. There arent enough of either to rely on them every year. That doesnt mean they dont exist, but it means we MUST have a serious serious out of state effort every year for OL and QB.

Advertisement
The NFL prefers paying Florida players. Most players in the league. Most players drafted in the 2019 draft. Five players from South Florida in last year’s first round alone. That’s more than Texas. More than California. More than Georgia. More than Ohio.

This is not history. This is 2019. No need tell me another anecdote from the late 1960s.

That is not really the point of Miami. We should win because we have the talent, but all other things are not equal. If getting an elite coach is what it takes to win at Miami then we are no different than any other school in the southeast. Out advantage is supposed to be the local talent. The fact that many of these players eventually develop is no benefit to us. We really need to get 2 and 3 quality years out of our draft picks and that is not happening.

How is Jimbo doing with those ready-made Texas recruits?

A&M has the following losses
- Clemson
- LSU
- Alabama
- Auburn
- Georgia

All of these states have good high school coaching. (Not 100% sure about Lousiana)

High school coaches in dade basically have to pay to coach.. They get paid nothing, if you are serious and talented, you either move up in rank or leave the state. GA and TX pay top coaches 100k+ some places.. You would laugh at what coaches in dade get and for that those guys are basically volunteering their time for thankless jobs.. Quality is gonna be low

I will also add, the talent is STILL here and quality.. Just is much harder also because soo many come and poach away. If you lose a 5 star true talent, only soo many of those. How would our 01 team be, if Andre johnson was at Bama and Gore was at Ole miss, etc.

Pay to coach and lose money coaching.
False narrative. This isn't 1998 anymore. The top teams aren't spending all that much time in south Florida.

where the **** you coach at down here?.

LOL @ my high school spring game this year...there was more College coaches there than soccer moms in the school line...mfers was lined up behind both touchdown markers and both sidelines.

Advertisement
Back