Updated Roster Level and Star Rank Trend - 2/6/2019

Nice chart(s)...Can really see the effect of the Nevin Shapiro scandal...starting in the 2010/2011 area...plummeting blue chip ratio...kids bailing out of the program...has taken years and just now getting back to the level of talent - according to Rivals - that we had before Shapiro totally trashed the program from his ponzi prison cell.
Yep. You had the double whammy of the 2010 class losing close to a third of its number in one year and the 2011 class falling to just TWO players when Shannon left. I can’t recall a college football class that was that decimated by a coaching change. Golden has to scramble to get bodies, period for that class, and we ended up only with two four star players (Chickillo, Grimble).

With those factors in place, Golden would have needed a Top 5 class in 2012 and 2013 to get things back up quickly, but the Shapiro scandal dampened those efforts. And when it finally ended, he’d established enough of a reputation that the aura of hope that any new coach brings with them had dissipated. We still got talent, but only enough to gradually restore talent levels. Richt took things to a higher level in 2017 and 2018. Manny’s use of the Temporal Portal kept us from falling back in 2019.

Advertisement
Good work, tx.

FYI I got us with 81 on schoolies right now including the 4 walk ons that have schollies? Includes all the transfers including Hill up to this point
Hill? Related to Jemele Hill?

Do you have the rooster?

Who does the eligibility roster on this site? I like that one but its dated.

Advertisement
Who is Clay James and when did he get a scholarship?
Prefered Walk On Long Snapper, given a Scholarship recently, essentially taking over for the scholarship our previous senior Long Snapper had- Jordan Butler.

I think its VERY ******* stupid to be giving a long snapper a scholarship, but oh well. That makes 4 Walk Ons currently on scholarship for us, Atkins, Few, Murphy, and James. Few and Murphy were scout team players of the year for us last season, so Diaz put them on scholarship for this season.

At the end of the day if they don't count as initial counters, it's perfectly fine to give them a scholarship since we are only at 81/85, and they aren't 4 year guarantees. It especially makes sense when you are awarding Upperclassman walkons with scholarships. I personally don't think we should give Walk Ons scholarships who aren't at least juniors or seniors. But its more likely we are limited by initial counters than the 85 counters....at least for the next couple years.

Prefered Walk On Long Snapper, given a Scholarship recently, essentially taking over for the scholarship our previous senior Long Snapper had- Jordan Butler.

I think its VERY ******* stupid to be giving a long snapper a scholarship, but oh well. That makes 4 Walk Ons currently on scholarship for us, Atkins, Few, Murphy, and James. Few and Murphy were scout team players of the year for us last season, so Diaz put them on scholarship for this season.

At the end of the day if they don't count as initial counters, it's perfectly fine to give them a scholarship since we are only at 81/85, and they aren't 4 year guarantees. It especially makes sense when you are awarding Upperclassman walkons with scholarships. I personally don't think we should give Walk Ons scholarships who aren't at least juniors or seniors. But its more likely we are limited by initial counters than the 85 counters....at least for the next couple years.
Thanks, I only heard about Few and Murphy. I don't really have a problem with it. It's one of those things I feel you have to trust the coaching staff on about rewarding walk-ons.

Advertisement

Agreed. It's also a team-building, morale boosting moment when a deserving walk-on gets that scholarship. I saw that video when they gave out two of them at Manny's first team meeting and it was a huge celebration.

We are not the only p5 school giving their long snapper a scholarship. It's a fairly common occurrence.

Any long snapper who can play the whole season without me learning his name has earned his scholarship.

people on this board freak out way too much about numbers and scholarships. if you think manny (or any coach really) would compromise the team by giving out scholarships to walk ons and long snappers you’re insane. just relax.

Advertisement
Props for putting the eligibility chart. It’s the best one I’ve seen anywhere!

As for the walk-on to ‘ship debate, I understand the morale boosting aspect. It’s a motivator. The timing is bad being that the team is coming off a 7-6 season.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back