University School vs Homestead Game Thread (11AM ESPNU)

Advertisement
When was this 10.6 100 that Scarlett ran? Man, that kid is muscled. What kind of nutrition and weight program do that have at U School? A lot of these kids are very developed physically.

Never ran a 10.6

100 Meters
4 11.58a V F Feb 11 Roaring Lions Time Tri...
1 11.58a V P Mar 2 Archbishop McCarthy Bi...
2 * 11.13a V F Mar 2 Archbishop McCarthy Bi...
2 11.40a -.3 V P Mar 9 Crusader Invitational
1 11.22a -.3 V F Mar 9 Crusader Invitational

200 Meters
5 23.31a V P Mar 9 Crusader Invitational
1 23.55a V F Mar 12 Archbishop McCarthy Me...

He won't top 4.55 at the opening next year

He ran a 10.8 last year. Might not be elite track time but thats great for a soph rb pushing 200 pounds. Since he is a football player I will take it. If he works at it he can get to 10.6 easy by the time he leaves high school.

No he didnt. Those are his official numbers from 2013 track season. In 2012 his fastest time was a 10.8/9 iirc & it was adjusted. I still think his size to speed ratio is very good for a 17 year old, but he's not 4.3 freak of nature fast.

Idk. On here it says season best is 10.84a. I dont know what the "a" means, maybe you know. But I see 10.84. as a sophmore. Thats pretty good at his size

forgot to link:

http://www.athletic.net/TrackAndField/Athlete.aspx?AID=3953321

Last edited:
Yeah but I'm just saying that was last year so he may have gained some weight & lost speed. Don't be get wrong a 11.1 is still pretty **** good for his size as well I just don't think he's a 4.3 guy

[video=youtube;k5v0zuCgpJk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5v0zuCgpJk[/video]

Is Lane really any better of a prospect than this guy?

He looks more explosive in this video.

Hadn't seen his film....I'm pretty impressed. Real nice prospect. Some guys don't do the whole 7 on 7 pub circuit so not everyone knows about them. Lets see how this kid does this year.

Advertisement
Frank Newman keeps doing his thing. Nice pursuit and sack.

Wait....I thought he "lost it" after giving birth to his child.

LULZ. Exactly what I was thinking while watching this game. Newman "lost it". Giving birth really fcked him up.

Some other thoughts:

1. Erma Lame is way overhyped. This is what happens when these nerds start handing out stars based on how guys look running around in 7 on 7 nonsense. This dude plays like he's got something better that he'd rather be doing. He's a coach killer.

2. Scarlett needs to quit reading his press clippings and get in shape. Guy gets gassed chewing gum.

3. I doubt White ever plays at Auburn. He's another camp product. Decent QB, but Malzahn will want someone more athletic running his system. You saw what happened with those 2 immobile bums at Auburn after Scam Newton split.

4. Night and day difference between the players I saw today and the dudes who played for BTW yesterday. Those dudes popped off the screen at you. Not so much today.

Chise, perhaps Newman was channeling that post-partum depression onto the field. He went after those Ughey players with Susan Smith-like aggression.

With regards to the rest of the game....watched some of the first-half and was rather unimpressed.

Lot of overhyped players on that field.

Last edited:
Frank Newman keeps doing his thing. Nice pursuit and sack.

Wait....I thought he "lost it" after giving birth to his child.

LULZ. Exactly what I was thinking while watching this game. Newman "lost it". Giving birth really fcked him up.

Some other thoughts:

1. Erma Lame is way overhyped. This is what happens when these nerds start handing out stars based on how guys look running around in 7 on 7 nonsense. This dude plays like he's got something better that he'd rather be doing. He's a coach killer.

2. Scarlett needs to quit reading his press clippings and get in shape. Guy gets gassed chewing gum.

3. I doubt White ever plays at Auburn. He's another camp product. Decent QB, but Malzahn will want someone more athletic running his system. You saw what happened with those 2 immobile bums at Auburn after Scam Newton split.

4. Night and day difference between the players I saw today and the dudes who played for BTW yesterday. Those dudes popped off the screen at you. Not so much today.

412.gif

Last edited:
D stop with that please. That's the type of message board rumor BS that gets taken as gospel and repeated by people who never ever saw the kid because they trust your opinion on things. Kid was a very good teammate and to a man all those boys will tell you Stacy went hard and they loved playing with him, that's why they all were on stage on NSD (not just Stacy) crying because they weren't going to be playing together anymore.

****, I was crying at that press conference too because I was so **** happy he signed with Miami (just kidding...maybe).

But it is pretty well-publicized that Bennett had several "come to Jesus" talks with Coley, and that UM didn't turn up the heat on him until late in 2012 (and it wasn't because of talent). There's videos of him getting in shoving matches with his teammates, and then two plays later backing them up in a fight. It's his gift and his curse.

As you pointed out, Coley hasn't had those problems at Miami and he is channeling that competitive edge into something productive. Like John Thompson said, "I can calm down a fool, but I can't wake up a corpse."

And re: Lane, I never said he was the best player in the state. He looked like he had a chance to be based on his sophomore clips and how he performed as a junior against MNW. I can tell you that Miami's wide receivers coach at the time was just as enamored as we were. The more I saw of Lane, the more warts I found. He's not as good as Coley, not because of any mentality issues (which Lu talked about in his first post), but because Coley is quicker and more fluid. But I still believe Lane is a special player who will become a star in college.

Ironically, D$ himself admitted he has downgraded him from that previously "special" level status, so I don't even know what's being argued.

The argument is that you thought Lane had some mentality issues. After seeing him live at his best (Northwestern), his worst (South Dade), and several in between, I disagree. We will see if those problems arise in college.

Second, there is a fine line between saying Lane isn't a transcendent player and saying that me and Pete "fell in love with Lane too early." If he balls out at Florida and becomes a star, we were right to fall in love with him. It's very easy to play both sides of the fence and say, "he may be a star, he also may be a disappointment, he probably won't be transcendent." I thought he had a chance to be the best player in the state when I first saw him, put it on record, saw him play a few more times and adjusted accordingly. But I still love the guy as a player. Time and the search function will tell if he justifies that faith.

Advertisement
Ironically, D$ himself admitted he has downgraded him from that previously "special" level status, so I don't even know what's being argued.

The argument is that you thought Lane had some mentality issues. After seeing him live at his best (Northwestern), his worst (South Dade), and several in between, I disagree. We will see if those problems arise in college.

Second, there is a fine line between saying Lane isn't a transcendent player and saying that me and Pete "fell in love with Lane too early." If he balls out at Florida and becomes a star, we were right to fall in love with him. It's very easy to play both sides of the fence and say, "he may be a star, he also may be a disappointment, he probably won't be transcendent." I thought he had a chance to be the best player in the state when I first saw him, put it on record, saw him play a few more times and adjusted accordingly. But I still love the guy as a player. Time and the search function will tell if he justifies that faith.

Like I said, two different things. For one, I do think Lane has mentality issues that keep him from being what I expected, which is essentially a Sammy Watkins type of player/competitor.

On the other thing, there's no fine line. He's not the player I expected based on your and Pete's previous reviews. Plain and simple. The only opinion that has changed is your own. Yes, it is very easy to say he's talented, but he's not the transcendent player as was previously indicated. I think there's a very important distinction between "that special guy" and "talented guy who will probably do well." The difference is, as Canes fans, it'd hurt a lot more if he were Sammy Watkins and left to UF or Bama.

By changing your stance, you validate that you don't like him as much as you previously did, which was my comment that you thought he was something too special, too soon. You seemed to "love him" (best player around here in a while, etc.) before. Now you've admittedly "downgraded" him. If anyone is playing both sides of the fence, it's you.

Lane played injured the whole game... Played 95% of the snaps... Scarlett overrated and doesn't run a 4.3 mor like 4.5. Hates contact and gets winded after 3 runs in a series. #11 Keshaun Taylor is our sleeper WR 6'1 170lbs great hands sneaky speed and plays hard every down. #8 Devanta Davis is a true WR PLAYED DB as spot duty for this game 6'3 194lbs great athlete who loves the U

Last edited:
Lane played injured the whole game... Played 95% of the snaps... Scarlett overrated and doesn't run a 4.3 mor like 4.5. Hates contact and gets winded after 3 runs in a series. #11 Keshaun Taylor is our sleeper WR 6'1 170lbs great hands sneaky speed and plays hard every down. #8 Devanta Davis is a true WR PLAYED DB as spot duty for this game 6'3 194lbs great athlete who loves the U

Finally more information(height/weight) about this kid... 6'3 194lbs:eekeyes:

Can you talk more about him, BroncoNation21?

Thanks in advance

Thanks in advance

I asked Pete, but he ignored me. Davis looks like someone who could get a look at Safety. Has he ever played Safety?

Advertisement
Vantae' can play almost anywhere in the secondary but truly dominates at the WR position. I've coached him since his 9th grade year.. He is currently a junior runs a 4.5 40, 270 max and is a very coach able kid who does whatever it takes for the team to be successful. He attended the UM camp as a WR but was overlooked. HE'll be bouncing around in the secondary throughout the year but don't be surprised with the amount of TD's he has on offense and the amount of receptions.

Thanks in advance

Devantae Davis 6'3 194lbs...Moved up to varsity after 3 games of JV and played as a freshman. Great hands.. Great size.. Deceptive speed... And a hard hitter. ATH

Vantae' can play almost anywhere in the secondary but truly dominates at the WR position. I've coached him since his 9th grade year.. He is currently a junior runs a 4.5 40, 270 max and is a very coach able kid who does whatever it takes for the team to be successful. He attended the UM camp as a WR but was overlooked. HE'll be bouncing around in the secondary throughout the year but don't be surprised with the amount of TD's he has on offense and the amount of receptions.

Would love to see him play either SS (more likely) or FS. He may dominate HS as a WR, but what position would he max out as a college player? Looks like he has good hips and is extremely aggressive. Add in the instincts and ball skills, and I guess I'm just curious about him as a Safety. Looks like a kid who'd do well at VTech (mentioned that about another kid yesterday, too). How is he diagnosing plays? How is he with film? Does he see plays before they happen? Interesting prospect.

Advertisement

Thanks in advance

Would love to see him play either SS (more likely) or FS. He may dominate HS as a WR, but what position would he max out as a college player? Looks like he has good hips and is extremely aggressive. Add in the instincts and ball skills, and I guess I'm just curious about him as a Safety. Looks like a kid who'd do well at VTech (mentioned that about another kid yesterday, too). How is he diagnosing plays? How is he with film? Does he see plays before they happen? Interesting prospect.

Right now he's playing off instinct. Remember that I said he's played WR throughout high school but he does watch film and studies the offensive schemes within weeks. He has a nose for the football when it's in the air. He gets better and better competing with Lane, Gilbert, AD #6, and Keyshaun each day. At the next level he will ultimately excel at strong safety... He can cover but he is a for sure tackler who is solid on the run.

Thanks in advance

Right now he's playing off instinct. Remember that I said he's played WR throughout high school but he does watch film and studies the offensive schemes within weeks. He has a nose for the football when it's in the air. He gets better and better competing with Lane, Gilbert, AD #6, and Keyshaun each day. At the next level he will ultimately excel at strong safety... He can cover but he is a for sure tackler who is solid on the run.

Cool. That's what I guessed above and that's where I'd project him. Hope he gets some development there or at FS so colleges can look at him like that. Some will probably even think he's a LB because he'll be 6' 3"ish 205 by his senior year, but he looks kinda wiry. Gonna try to make it out to a Homestead game to check him and the Taylor kid out.

Funny enough, your best defensive football player yesterday may have been a kid (#50?) who doesn't get a look by colleges because he looked pretty small for a LB. Reminded me of the small, scrappy LBs from my HS days. That kid was cot**** everywhere - +instincts, +aggression, and +feet. How young?

What's the formula for drumming up extensive recruit discussion?

Pick a South Florida player that doesn't commit to Miami and let it fly.

What's the formula for drumming up extensive recruit discussion?

Pick a South Florida player that doesn't commit to Miami and let it fly.

Shiiattt, I'll talk about any guys I see. Davis may never even be a Miami recruit and I'm interested. There are a ton of 3* type guys from down here who end up being extremely good college players.

Advertisement
Back