University School vs Homestead Game Thread (11AM ESPNU)

Advertisement
I like Lane...but I am not sure he knows how good he can be or if he is willing to work
and be aggressive enough to be the best player he can be...kinda like a player we already had
that just got cut from the Ravens....

The talent is there I don't know if he wants to work to be as good as he can be...

But recruiting is always a gamble ...

Advertisement
Ermon Lane is talented. He's the type who needs to be in the right culture, though. If he wants to make the big money later on, he has to grow as a player physically and be pushed mentally (behavior). It's actually in his best interest to go to a structured environment like Miami or Alabama. There are guys, like Stacy Coley or Artie Burns, who seem to be natural born killers. There are other guys who need to be in the right environment in order to max out their talent.

Strongly disagree. You used Stacy Coley as an example, but Coley's antics were 100X worse in high school. He often lashed out at his own team and took plays off out of frustration.

I left today's game at halftime and missed a chunk of the third, but I've seen Lane play a ton and he is a competitor. Unlike many receivers, he plays the entire game (WR, defense, ST) and does so willingly.

What you saw today is what he deals with every Friday. He doesn't need to be pushed, he just needs some help around him. When he goes to college and only needs to worry about doing his own job, his talent will show.

D stop with that please. That's the type of message board rumor BS that gets taken as gospel and repeated by people who never ever saw the kid because they trust your opinion on things. Kid was a very good teammate and to a man all those boys will tell you Stacy went hard and they loved playing with him, that's why they all were on stage on NSD (not just Stacy) crying because they weren't going to be playing together anymore.

To be fair Coley had some attitude questions as well

Lane is extremely talented obviously not his best showing though

True but Coley always played hard. He'd look ****ed but he'd be out there pancaking Corners.

He pretty much took the entire Columbus game off last year. He absolutely took plays off

He had a lot of antics stuff also. Grades were not the only reason it took so long for Miami to really start recruiting him

were you at the game, because I don't remember you contributing to the thread Tito started sbout the game last fall? or is this the message board parroting **** I was just talking about and you're repeating something you read on a message board.

I'm not going to bump the entire thread from last year I'm just going to take to different observations from that thread I'll spoiler them because they are long

I got the chance to see Coley for the second time this year, except this time in pads. I can honestly say they looked like two different people. The first bad sign for Coley today was how when his entire team was ready and beginning to do their pre-game, he was still getting dressed. Also when his team ran a casual lap around the half field, he slow jogged the entire thing.

The worst by far was his performance, Coley went without a single catch in the first half, He was targeted numerous times but just couldn't get to the ball. One of his worst plays includes one where he had an opportunity to catch a ball that was thrown moderately high, but catchable. Instead of trying to catch it, Coley gave up on the play assuming there was a pass interference.

To be frank, he looked like he wasn't even trying, like he had something better to do. The Elite wide receiver had an opportunity to put his team back into the game when he had a catchable ball right in his hands for at least a forty yard gain and dropped it. No excuses directly in his hands.

Following the game, I asked Coley if he could give me an Interview and he said yes. but following his team's huddle Coley had a stern talking to his coach, his coach looked furious with him. Coley then ran off, I chased him down using my 4.4 speed but when he turned around he said "My coach isn't letting me do interviews." Personally, I was more upset about that then his performance but that's another thing.

The word before the summer was that Coley was a head case and had bad grades and I believes it because one of my sources had confirmed it. But as time grew on different reports came out and I began to change my thoughts on him. He definitely changed my mind at the dolphin 7-on-7. But his performance last night was everything that I was hoping it wouldn't be. I am now beginning to return to those thoughts I had prior to the summer.

Overall, I might be over exaggerating, he might of had one bad game and it was this one. But regardless of that the Character issues are a serious problem, a problem that I think Hurricane coaches would not stand for a minute.

This will be my last post on the matter. I'd suggest those that can see the kid for themselves do and form their own opinions because I didn't feel as negatively about it as Tito did. No offense to him but he seems like he's letting his feelings get in way of his observation.

To make a read on the kids behavior based on him coming out the locker room last or how he ran his lap is silly since a NE coach told me the team as a whole needs to take a better approach to there pregame. Coaches and players after seeing how organized Columbus was. So why single him out for something that's program issue not just a player. Also I played with and saw some greats back in the day that took it easy in pregame and it had no affect on their play in game and was not a reflection of their character at all. some of them are guys that are viewed as some of the best to ever play UM.

Also trying to insinuate a behavior problem because of a conversation from a far is again imo a bit much. Unless you were a part of the conversation and know what happened kind of hard to say kid has an attitude based on what you thought the tone of the conversation was. Hey LeBron has a bad attitude and purposely tried to and embarrass his coach by targeting him and shoulder bumping him during a timeout against Dallas. Or atleast that's what I was told am I right.

As far as the game kid only dropped on catchable ball that was the screen. He got open against a double team constantly and his qb couldn't get him the ball. As far as a forty yard play that he dropped what are you talking about. The bomb before halftime that was under thrown and he came back for ball underneath both Columbus db and went up and attacked ball at it highest point but lost it as he came down. It would have been great if he held on to it but it would've have been a spectacular catch not some run of the mill play. Kids made plenty of those types of catches so it's not like he can't make the difficult catch but he's not going to make them all the time. No wideout does. Did he makes some bad plays ofcourse he jumped offside once on a slant play that he would've gotten atleast a 15 yard gain on. On the int on the slant in the endzone I wish he would've fought harder to get the ball but qb was late and high with pass. Also at the end of the 30 yard run I need him to secure the ball better because NE got lucky fumble rolled out of bounce. However he did some positive thinks like his blocking during running plays when NE OC realized he needed to take some pressure off his young qb. Which is what actually got Ne back in game and later opened up plays in passing game including the 50 yard bomb that called back. When they attempted to throw he got open without needing 80 moves to do it. That's a positive not a negative thing. Hopefully they'll upload video of game on Bluestein site so people can get a glimpse of some of the in game action.

People thinking it would be okay to let this kid leave are the ones ok with mediocrity imo. You can't build a team full of 5 heart type players and expect to play for championships. You need playmakers also and hes the best one in Florida this year. But whatever I'm done with it won't say another thing about it don't care that much. Btw enjoy the site.

for people who bother to read my response I'll post something Al said, because it mirrors some of the things I noticed watching the kid that apparently was not by others watching him

Golden on Stacy Coley…
“He’s just a freshman. He’s a talented freshman that is a long way away from playing a whole game or being the guy. But he’s talented. We’re happy that he is what he thought he was coming out. As I said this morning, I prefaced it by saying I don’t want to jump from here to Canton (Pro Football Hall of Fame). It’s one step at a time here. Learn the process; get better every day, which has been fun to watch. There’s a maturity level there. He has to study football because he doesn’t get a lot of ME’s. And then he shows willingness to block, even though he doesn’t have the strength levels of Allen (Hurns) and Rashawn (Scott) and those guys. He shows willingness to block. All those things are great qualities for a young wide receiver.”

it's funny looking back at that thread though because some of the biggest naysayers in that thread have become the biggest Coley fanboys haha. Just like with Stacy same applies to Lane and any other recruit. Go see them live if you can because watching on TV or highlights will never give you a full view of what a player is or isn't doing.

An elite player, ranked second at his position in the country, should easily dominate in this game. Lane has done anything but dominate. He just strikes me as a major project from a mental standpoint. This guy may be talented, but he's far from a huge loss. I'd rather have Dixon, Langham, or Rudolph.

you sure about that.

He's going aginst another kid thats almosst as elite...add to it it was an OVERMATCHED game....U-School is severely better player wise and coaching..**** homestead just got a coach a month or so asgo.

Its the usual of high school kids when they apparently no their team is overmatch to perform the way Lane did. Add to it he was being useda s a decoy..i know Homestead has weapons..but they did a concerted effort to throw to Gilbert Johnson and the other kid early....

Lane got deep on Wilson numerous times and qb didnt even loo his way.....

Kid played both ways and looked solid...Homestead played better than i thought i expected a worse *** whooping..and this game was basically a sec schill game by espn because they know of the uf and auburn commits.

#8 th ecb for HOMESTEAD Devonta Davis needs a um offer today or tomorrow..kid looked like homestead's best player and threw up the u...he was active all game......and going against div 1 wr's.

I remember our staff wanted him badly, they were pursuing him till the last moment

This. After watching many of these prospects play, it only reinforces my thoughts of "Thank God Ariz and the rest of the Canesinsight reporting staff arent Canes coaches. Trust our coaching staff and their evals...not these information collectors.

Like when our staff was wishy-washy on Amari Cooper?

Don't trust them and don't trust me. Trust your own eyes.

An elite player, ranked second at his position in the country, should easily dominate in this game. Lane has done anything but dominate. He just strikes me as a major project from a mental standpoint. This guy may be talented, but he's far from a huge loss. I'd rather have Dixon, Langham, or Rudolph.

you sure about that.

He's going aginst another kid thats almosst as elite...add to it it was an OVERMATCHED game....U-School is severely better player wise and coaching..**** homestead just got a coach a month or so asgo.

Its the usual of high school kids when they apparently no their team is overmatch to perform the way Lane did. Add to it he was being useda s a decoy..i know Homestead has weapons..but they did a concerted effort to throw to Gilbert Johnson and the other kid early....

Lane got deep on Wilson numerous times and qb didnt even loo his way.....

Kid played both ways and looked solid...Homestead played better than i thought i expected a worse *** whooping..and this game was basically a sec schill game by espn because they know of the uf and auburn commits.

#8 th ecb for HOMESTEAD Devonta Davis needs a um offer today or tomorrow..kid looked like homestead's best player and threw up the u...he was active all game......and going against div 1 wr's.

IDK too much about what school is what but U school is rated the #25 school and Tito said they won the State Championship last season so I didn't expect an easy match up.
But with the injury to his thigh I'd give Lane a pass for the game. Still a whole season to go.

Advertisement
am1640. Yes I was at the game.

No one is doubting Coley man so I have no idea why you are so defensive. My point and I think others had similar points in relax on the Lane bashing because the same stuff your criticizing Lane for Coley had the same questions and everyone here thinks Coley is a future All-American.

This board just instantly blasts kids when they commit to other schools and suddenly UM recruits were perfect.

I do want Jordan Scarlett, he looks like potential incarnate.... he aint a perfect runner but dude is fast and big as ****, that's one University prospect I wish UM would actually focus on trying to recruit.

No one is doubting Coley man so I have no idea why you are so defensive. My point and I think others had similar points in relax on the Lane bashing because the same stuff your criticizing Lane for Coley had the same questions and everyone here thinks Coley is a future All-American.

This board just instantly blasts kids when they commit to other schools and suddenly UM recruits were perfect.

Not defensive about anything just hate when BS is spewed. You said "he pretty much took the entire Columbus game off" which is 1000% BS. His team ran the ball the majority of the game and kid was bustin his *** blocking and had some nice blocks at that. That is not taking the entire game off or the effort he gave on passes that never came his way. Stacy's sophomore first time HS varsity or JV starting qb was 100x's worse than Alexander is. Also Homestead threw what 25-30 passes? Sorry you can't compare Lanes game today to anything Stacy ever did because if Northeast ever threw the ball 30x's he'd have over 200 yards. Fact. If you want to defend BS being said about Lane and there is some don't throw out BS about Stacy. There are better ways to do it.

Last edited:

Not defensive about anything just hate when BS is spewed. You said "he pretty much took the entire Columbus game off" which is 1000% BS. His team ran the ball the majority of the game and kid was bustin his *** blocking and had some nice blocks at that. That is not taking the entire game off or the effort he gave on passes that never came his way. Stacy's sophomore first time HS varsity or JV starting qb was 100x's worse than Alexander is. Also Homestead threw what 25-30 passes? Sorry you can't compare Lanes game today to anything Stacy ever did because if Northeast ever threw the ball 30x's he'd have over 200 yards. Fact. If you want to defend BS being said about Lane and there is some don't throw out BS about Stacy. There are better ways to do it.

Maybe there's "BS" being said about Lane and I glossed over it. If the "BS" is a few of us saying we didn't see the transcendent talent he was previously billed to be, I don't know what to say. It's not even a knock. I was straight up expecting to watch a Sammy Watkins type of talent. I ended up watching someone less impressive. Ironically, D$ himself admitted he has downgraded him from that previously "special" level status, so I don't even know what's being argued.

Advertisement

i';'m going to keep it 100...75% or more of the board had NO INTEREST in COLEY....and bashed the kid...the talk on him was actually WORSE than Lane/...dude was a pouty kid..cursed @ coaches...didnt block.....didnt care...all of that his JUNIOR year....i still wanted him. Donnell Bennett mentored him and turned him around a bit the sr year.

Lane seems to be a worker, just seems like a kid that is sort of ALOOF..might have a tude...which wr doesnt??....kid has been the goods for like 3-4 years now likely since optomist...so hes been getting by with some stuff....

those are the guys that when they get to agood college program you see them get push to their limits and see a structure like someone said ...they sometimes explode.

If Lane committed to um..i have no doubt he would be productive here...but it seems he made a biz decision..he can play earlier @ uf..even though he doesnt shirt wherever he goes...but UF seems to be the better choice for early p.t.

Realize tis if Amari cooper cam to um..he would of gotten the same amount of pass attempths that Lockhart got...thats how much better i think our wr's are than what Bama is trotting out

Maybe there's "BS" being said about Lane and I glossed over it. If the "BS" is a few of us saying we didn't see the transcendent talent he was previously billed to be, I don't know what to say. It's not even a knock. I was straight up expecting to watch a Sammy Watkins type of talent. I ended up watching someone less impressive. Ironically, D$ himself admitted he has downgraded him from that previously "special" level status, so I don't even know what's being argued.

wasn't talking about your post I quoted it by mistake. I agree with everything you've said, kid was never the best player in the state but that was D$ opinion so whatever. Like I said Coley team would never throw the ball 25+ times and he only had 3 catches for 20+ yards. Would never happen. never. especially with a team disrespecting him and covering him press man most of the game. There was other stuff being said about Lane and not wanting him at Miami anymore by others and that was just silly.

I told the boards back then... (regarding Coley)

I've seen a lot of that kid over the years. Played against him in the play-offs and at several 7-on-7 tournaments and never witnessed any antics, even while the rest of his team were acting like animals.

Advertisement
Frank Newman keeps doing his thing. Nice pursuit and sack.

Wait....I thought he "lost it" after giving birth to his child.

LULZ. Exactly what I was thinking while watching this game. Newman "lost it". Giving birth really fcked him up.

Some other thoughts:

1. Erma Lame is way overhyped. This is what happens when these nerds start handing out stars based on how guys look running around in 7 on 7 nonsense. This dude plays like he's got something better that he'd rather be doing. He's a coach killer.

2. Scarlett needs to quit reading his press clippings and get in shape. Guy gets gassed chewing gum.

3. I doubt White ever plays at Auburn. He's another camp product. Decent QB, but Malzahn will want someone more athletic running his system. You saw what happened with those 2 immobile bums at Auburn after Scam Newton split.

4. Night and day difference between the players I saw today and the dudes who played for BTW yesterday. Those dudes popped off the screen at you. Not so much today.

When was this 10.6 100 that Scarlett ran? Man, that kid is muscled. What kind of nutrition and weight program do that have at U School? A lot of these kids are very developed physically.

Never ran a 10.6

100 Meters
4 11.58a V F Feb 11 Roaring Lions Time Tri...
1 11.58a V P Mar 2 Archbishop McCarthy Bi...
2 * 11.13a V F Mar 2 Archbishop McCarthy Bi...
2 11.40a -.3 V P Mar 9 Crusader Invitational
1 11.22a -.3 V F Mar 9 Crusader Invitational

200 Meters
5 23.31a V P Mar 9 Crusader Invitational
1 23.55a V F Mar 12 Archbishop McCarthy Me...

He won't top 4.55 at the opening next year

He ran a 10.8 last year. Might not be elite track time but thats great for a soph rb pushing 200 pounds. Since he is a football player I will take it. If he works at it he can get to 10.6 easy by the time he leaves high school.

No he didnt. Those are his official numbers from 2013 track season. In 2012 his fastest time was a 10.8/9 iirc & it was adjusted. I still think his size to speed ratio is very good for a 17 year old, but he's not 4.3 freak of nature fast.

When was this 10.6 100 that Scarlett ran? Man, that kid is muscled. What kind of nutrition and weight program do that have at U School? A lot of these kids are very developed physically.

Never ran a 10.6

100 Meters
4 11.58a V F Feb 11 Roaring Lions Time Tri...
1 11.58a V P Mar 2 Archbishop McCarthy Bi...
2 * 11.13a V F Mar 2 Archbishop McCarthy Bi...
2 11.40a -.3 V P Mar 9 Crusader Invitational
1 11.22a -.3 V F Mar 9 Crusader Invitational

200 Meters
5 23.31a V P Mar 9 Crusader Invitational
1 23.55a V F Mar 12 Archbishop McCarthy Me...

He won't top 4.55 at the opening next year
They said he ran a 10.6 on the broadcast.

I just did more homework by going on google than those announcers did for their job lol

Advertisement
Back