Under Armour Camp Thoughts

From what you have seen how would you rank the WR down here at moment? Dont know if I ever heard this many names and we cant get all but dam..
This is a cop out, but they are so different. I don't see one guy who stands above the others right now like Jerry Jeudy or Calvin Ridley. Each is the best at their own thing.

Brandon Innis is the best overall football player and has experience all over the field. He's competed against the best from a young age and is an incredibly polished receiver. He also has good size. Of all of them, he's the best right now and most ready to step on a college field. But he's the least explosive athlete of the group and may be the closest to his ceiling (which is still pretty high).

Jalen Brown is the fastest of the group and has legit length at 6'1. He is also a competitor. His route tree is limited and he has drop issues. I think he's a legit five-star because of the length, speed and production, but it would not surprise me if he became a Top 10 pick corner like Chris Henderson.

Hykeem Williams is the physical beast and is the most dominant after the catch. He also has a ton of untapped upside with basketball taking up so much of his time. However, he is the weakest route runner of the group and struggled at last year's camp circuit to separate from top man corners.

Robbie Washington is the most explosive and at least one decisionmaker thinks he's the best player down here. He is strong and has WR/RB versatility. His track record isn't as long as some of the kids on this list, but it would not surprise me if he ended up as the best prospect by the end of the cycle.

Andy Jean is the total package with a crazy work ethic, legit 6'1, 180 frame, huge hands, explosive routes and speed. He fits the profile of the WRs that are dominating the NFL. I want to see verified speed on him but he plays fast and should time fast.

Ray Ray Joseph is the most dynamic with the ball in his hands. Special punt returner and those guys usually have upside as route runners (see Antonio Brown, Hollywood Brown, John Brown, Isaiah McKenzie, TY Hilton). I would put him behind the other guys as a pure receiver right now, but he can get there. He's also very smart.

William Fowles is the other physical specimen along with Hykeem. He thrives on vertical stuff with his strength and speed. His lateral quickness is the question mark.

So that doesn't answer your question, but it is really about what flavor you want. I can't wait to see how these guys perform as seniors.

Advertisement
I like Preston Jack Thompson, he’s a natural fluid runner & just like all them kids from Clewiston has very good quick-twitch ability, even though he’s an under the radar FAU commit & I doubt we’d have serious interest in him, I’d take a flyer on a Clewiston kid in nearly every class, they develop really well once they get in a college S&C. The only question I have about him is his true Height, he listed at 6’0 but I can’t tell if he really is or not, but otherwise I think he’s a good sleeper prospect at CB.
Appalachian State signed a really good one from Clewiston last year, James Edwards. I think our last signee from there was Alfonso Marshall.

Thompson was very impressive yesterday. I don't know the size but he didn't look small.

The testing company keeps that info proprietary, unfortunately.

As for the Louis Bing meet, the times at that event seem unusually slow with the wind. For example, Jalen Brown ran 11.24 and he's a 10.6 guy. The fact that Jean is on the Northwestern 4X100 team says that he has real speed. My guess is he ends the year with a PR in the high 10s or, at worst, very low 11s.

I think he has a chance to be the best receiver in the class. He's faster than Innis, better hands than Brown, better routes than Williams, more polished than Washington, bigger than Joseph and more lateral quickness than Fowles. Just a very complete prospect with the right work ethic.
Coach Harris & Coach Murphy both told me Andy is definitely a sub 11 100m kid, in the 10.8 range.

Regardless of his exact decimal of speed, his route running make him faster on the field because he absolutely puts DB’s on ICE with his stems & stacks getting out of his breaks & has glue hands.

He has higher upside than Brinson tbh...

This is a cop out, but they are so different. I don't see one guy who stands above the others right now like Jerry Jeudy or Calvin Ridley. Each is the best at their own thing.

Brandon Innis is the best overall football player and has experience all over the field. He's competed against the best from a young age and is an incredibly polished receiver. He also has good size. Of all of them, he's the best right now and most ready to step on a college field. But he's the least explosive athlete of the group and may be the closest to his ceiling (which is still pretty high).

Jalen Brown is the fastest of the group and has legit length at 6'1. He is also a competitor. His route tree is limited and he has drop issues. I think he's a legit five-star because of the length, speed and production, but it would not surprise me if he became a Top 10 pick corner like Chris Henderson.

Hykeem Williams is the physical beast and is the most dominant after the catch. He also has a ton of untapped upside with basketball taking up so much of his time. However, he is the weakest route runner of the group and struggled at last year's camp circuit to separate from top man corners.

Robbie Washington is the most explosive and at least one decisionmaker thinks he's the best player down here. He is strong and has WR/RB versatility. His track record isn't as long as some of the kids on this list, but it would not surprise me if he ended up as the best prospect by the end of the cycle.

Andy Jean is the total package with a crazy work ethic, legit 6'1, 180 frame, huge hands, explosive routes and speed. He fits the profile of the WRs that are dominating the NFL. I want to see verified speed on him but he plays fast and should time fast.

Ray Ray Joseph is the most dynamic with the ball in his hands. Special punt returner and those guys usually have upside as route runners (see Antonio Brown, Hollywood Brown, John Brown, Isaiah McKenzie, TY Hilton). I would put him behind the other guys as a pure receiver right now, but he can get there. He's also very smart.

William Fowles is the other physical specimen along with Hykeem. He thrives on vertical stuff with his strength and speed. His lateral quickness is the question mark.

So that doesn't answer your question, but it is really about what flavor you want. I can't wait to see how these guys perform as seniors.
Im a speeeeed guy, we need to be more explosive and Im happy our new OC saw upclose and personal what that did for his offense with Bama and now has said he puts a HIGH emphasis on that when recruiting WR. So Robbie is my guy but alot of these kids run track and have great times so we have heard (Jalen Brown, Andy Jean, etc.) But this is an incredible group overall, hope we snatch as many as possible..

Appalachian State signed a really good one from Clewiston last year, James Edwards. I think our last signee from there was Alfonso Marshall.

Thompson was very impressive yesterday. I don't know the size but he didn't look small.
Oran Singleton Jr Slot WR at Akron will be another one from Clewiston that plays really this year.

Advertisement
@DMoney
Just curious if guys like yourself have a line to the current staff regarding local prospects?

Manny seemed pretty closed off and uninterested in outside opinion. I believe you utilize all the resources available, the more boots on the ground the better. Not saying Mario should rely on outside evals but a good network of trusted local sources is always incorporated into strong recruiting operations.

@DMoney
Just curious if guys like yourself have a line to the current staff regarding local prospects?

Manny seemed pretty closed off and uninterested in outside opinion. I believe you utilize all the resources available, the more boots on the ground the better. Not saying Mario should rely on outside evals but a good network of trusted local sources is always incorporated into strong recruiting operations.
Yes, but I will say the team they have now (some of which were there with Manny) is much more on top of guys. The Golden crew often had never heard of guys who ended up as NFL players.

Advertisement

By all intents and purposes, Jean is an incredibly polished WR. Good size, 10.8 speed, hands and a route technician. So what makes Innis the best overall if he isn't as explosive as Jean?

By all intents and purposes, Jean is an incredibly polished WR. Good size, 10.8 speed, hands and a route technician. So what makes Innis the best overall if he isn't as explosive as Jean?
I know you’re not asking me but TO ME innis is a different beast. I’m not one of the people who thinks he’s close to his ceiling I personally think far from it. Problem is he’s dominated everybody so people wrote him as a finished product. I think innis is more aggressive at the catch point.. and is a **** good route runner himself

Right now, it’s track record. Innis has been beating top corners for 4 years. He also plays multiple positions, which the other guys haven’t done. Rare football instincts.

By the end of the year, it would not surprise me at all if we are talking about Andy Jean or Robby Washington as the best player in South Florida.

Advertisement
I know you’re not asking me but TO ME innis is a different beast. I’m not one of the people who thinks he’s close to his ceiling I personally think far from it. Problem is he’s dominated everybody so people wrote him as a finished product. I think innis is more aggressive at the catch point.. and is a **** good route runner himself
I would agree, I think the notion that he is the least explosive of the bunch is laughable. I see a violent and explosive killer/confident WR in any footage I see. I was just trying to get clarity from people that have seen him in person. Video will only tell you so much

I would agree, I think the notion that he is the least explosive of the bunch is laughable. I see a violent and explosive killer/confident WR in any footage I see.
I see the bolded as well, but that's not mutually exclusive from the first statement.

Who in that group would you say is less explosive than Innis? I ask this as a huge Innis fan who thinks he is a legit 5* and an amazing football player.

I see the bolded as well, but that's not mutually exclusive from the first statement.

Who in that group would you say is less explosive than Innis? I ask this as a huge Innis fan who thinks he is a legit 5* and an amazing football player.
My eyes tell me that only Ray Ray and Robbie are more explosive. Jalen is faster but I would not say more explosive, he is a long strider, and I only say faster because I know he runs a 10.6. Hykeem looks big and fast but my understanding that his comp isn't on the same level. Id like to preface all of that with I would be ecstatic with any of these guys and I hope we hold on to Jean. Maybe Im biased because of his ranking? I see a kid quick in and out of his breaks, catches well and attacks the ball and while he may not leave the comp 20 yards behind like Robbie, basically out runs everyone and any good angles.

Advertisement
My eyes tell me that only Ray Ray and Robbie are more explosive. Jalen is faster but I would not say more explosive, he is a long strider. Hykeem looks big and fast but my understanding that his comp isn't on the same level. Id like to preface all of that with I would be ecstatic with any of these guys and I hope we hold on to Jean. Maybe Im biased because of his ranking? I see a kid quick in and out of his breaks, catches well and attacks the ball and while he may not leave the comp 20 yards behind like Robbie, basically out runs everyone and any good angles.
Makes sense. I think we are getting bogged down in semantics. I interpreted explosiveness to mean, "who can turn a short play into a long play with acceleration?" The other guys are better at that than Innis, IMO. We saw that when Innis was the QB and struggled to generate a lot of big plays with his feet.

The flip side is that Innis is such a good football player that AMH trusted him at quarterback. None of those other players could fill that role.

I think Innis could start right now in college and could have started a couple years ago. Amon Ra St. Brown is a good comparison.

Makes sense. I think we are getting bogged down in semantics. I interpreted explosiveness to mean, "who can turn a short play into a long play with acceleration?" The other guys are better at that than Innis, IMO. We saw that when Innis was the QB and struggled to generate a lot of big plays with his feet.

The flip side is that Innis is such a good football player that AMH trusted him at quarterback. None of those other players could fill that role.

I think Innis could start right now in college and could have started a couple years ago. Amon Ra St. Brown is a good comparison.
Great comp

I am a total novice when it comes to scouting and admittedly watch 0 film, but I've seen several Innis highlights here and there, and that kid plays like an alpha that knows he's an alpha. I want those uber-confident guys on my team.

Advertisement
Back