UNC Recruiting

Advertisement
They loaded up on the line last year and are getting skill talent this year.

Always has been but hes been a coach thats always done less with more.... he should have had more titles or at least championship appearances when he was at Texas
His one championship was **** near accidental. It was well documented that he didn't really care for Vince Young and had to be bashed over the head to not only recruit him but give him a chance at Qb. It wasn't until that last year that he started to really embrace Vince's skillset at signal caller. The game against USC was pretty much all Vince. It's telling that he never recruited another Qb like Vince afterward.

You look at all of the talent he let leave the state and didn't recruit, and you realize he's had a lot of misses as well. No doubt he's an elite recruiter, but I question his evaluation skills on the offensive side.

Last edited:
Advertisement
UNC could end up with a top 3 class this year.

A bunch of commits for multiple teams have been announced today too, Idk how many of them stick all through the year, but lots of teams are having some positive momentum with this new online/video conference call style recruiting.

Minnesota been getting a couple of commits lately too.

It's still pretty early but I feel like Miami is going to be lagging behind for most of the year when it comes to commits, our class ranking is already sliding & unless we start getting a bunch of commits between now & June we definitely won't be in the top 10 for much longer.

I usually hate early commits, but under these circumstances it would be nice to get a few of the kids on board now. Idk why Jabari Ishmael is taking so **** long, if I'm Diaz I'd call his pops & ask'em what's the hold up?

Last edited:
I know some people hate when we talk about other teams but I like to and think it's relevant, especially if they're in the ACC. UNC is building something under Mac. He's starting to lock down North Carolina. They just flipped the #6 qb and #56 overall player from Bama. They got a high 4 star DE yesterday. They're right behind Miami in the recruiting rankings now with fewer players and a much higher average (I know this will change some but still) of 88 for Miami and 92.5 for UNC. They've also signed two 5 stars in the last 2 years and there's time for more. I think it will be interesting to see how they look over the next few years.
It’s called money. It’s college football. Nothing to see here. Move along

Mack is doing great early and with limited access a lot of schools are having recruiting different states. He is doing a great job locking up in state talent. With that being said. I dont see a lot of these kids sticking. If they start dropping games, these kids will bail. This is not Texas where he was crown jewel of the area. Way to many bigger programs around UNC to fight off.

Mack Brown is locking down NC, all the top kids in state except for Payton Page are staying home.

He has a staff full of good recruiters & UNC spends money.

I still think we beat them this year @ home, but recruiting wise Mack will have the Tar Heels in the top 10 every year.
Do you think Mack Brown would have the same success here had he been the hire and not Manny?

He recruited well at Tejas and now at UNC but those schools both spend money and both of those schools seem to mean more to their in-state kids than we do to ours... and that’s not even about winning (because those 2 schools weren’t winning either - though it’ll help).

Kids just seem more loyal to the area schools in those places. That said, if Carolina hired Manny last year, he wouldn’t be recruiting like Mack. So part of it is him but how much of it is the “budget” and how much is the symbolism of the school to the in-State kids?

Advertisement
I can't speak for kids who live in NC, but I can tell you that living in the Northeast, kids LOVE UNC. It's a top school academically in many areas.and they have some really competitive sports teams for both men and women, other than basketball. (men's and women's lacrosse, field hockey, baseball and men's/women's soccer in particular) The admission policy is one of the most selective of all colleges, particularly for OOS kids. Basketball was always the attraction but the school itself and the surrounding community make it a big draw. Kids apply every year, knowing they probably won't get a spot, but hoping!

Do you think Mack Brown would have the same success here had he been the hire and not Manny?

He recruited well at Tejas and now at UNC but those schools both spend money and both of those schools seem to mean more to their in-state kids than we do to ours... and that’s not even about winning (because those 2 schools weren’t winning either - though it’ll help).

Kids just seem more loyal to the area schools in those places. That said, if Carolina hired Manny last year, he wouldn’t be recruiting like Mack. So part of it is him but how much of it is the “budget” and how much is the symbolism of the school to the in-State kids?
He'd probably be a better overall recruiter than Manny but I don't think he'd lock down South Fla like he's doing in North Carolina. I think he'd recruit similar to how Mark Richt did with maybe few more players here or there.

I definitely think recruiting budget of course plays a part in it, but as of right now, I very seriously doubt any money is being spent in the midst of a pandemic. Most of the kids announcing commitments right now have (if it at all) only visited a campus or two during Spring before the shutdown, most of this is online video/FaceTime recruiting that's been taking place.

Kids have been taking virtual visits lol & talk with coaches via Zoom app, or whatever other video call apps they might use. The recruiting that's happening right now is not old school Bag dropping, unless coaches are CashApp'in players lol, but otherwise the coaches getting commits right now are just flexing their salesman muscles because there are no visits & no in person contact allowed until May, we've actually been in an extended Dead period for like 2 months now in recruiting lol.

Recruiting to UNC and recruiting to Texas are not the same thing. Texas is, usually, the big dog in the state and it should be a big dog regionally, if not nationally. UNC football has to fight for everything, What he is doing at UNC is amazing. ****, it isn't even a football school. And I readily admit I thought he'd do nothing there this time. I was wrong.

On your second point, Texas always tried to finalize their class prior to senior years and they recruited a bunch of maxed out, though highly rated, recruits. End result, those 17 year old commitments tended not to get much better in college.
this is not true. People are crazy about UNC in this state.

UNC could end up with a top 3 class this year.

A bunch of commits for multiple teams have been announced today too, Idk how many of them stick all through the year, but lots of teams are having some positive momentum with this new online/video conference call style recruiting.

Minnesota been getting a couple of commits lately too.

It's still pretty early but I feel like Miami is going to be lagging behind for most of the year when it comes to commits, our class ranking is already sliding & unless we start getting a bunch of commits between now & June we definitely won't be in the top 10 for much longer.

I usually hate early commits, but under these circumstances it would be nice to get a few of the kids on board now. Idk why Jabari Ishmael is taking so **** long, if I'm Diaz I'd call his pops & ask'em what's the hold up?
it seems like alot of Miami targets are in wait and see mode.

Advertisement
Don't see it lasting for them when bigger schools come calling and they have a 7 win or less mark at the end of the season.

Mack has something to sell that no Miami coach has had since Clappy.. He's been the head coach of a National Championship team. He can sell a kid and his parents a plan and it not just sound like a pipe dream. Manny better step his game up cause they are building a great foundation of talent in Chapel Hill.

Advertisement
I've lived in North Carolina for 4 years and UNC is EVERYTHING to the natives. Those other in-state schools, Duke included, don't come close to the fan base pool that North Carolina has.
in the Charlotte area UNC and Duke are everything in basketball...most here are new die hard panthers fans...you also have some old Cowboy fans still lingering....the top college football program is Clemson....Dabo could easily out recruit Mack in this area if he wanted to...

Advertisement
Back