UNC Recruiting

Call me crazy but I love this ****. I grew up in a time when kids had pride in their state/region. I’ll always respect kids staying home instead of the horse **** mercenary mindset of going to bama just because they’re the hot team. When you play UNC you’re getting North Carolina football. Need more of this.
Yeah, the good old days...when the western Pennsylvania tough boys loved to flee the hills, steal mills and coal mines for UM and the beaches. No home loyalty there.

We would"t have fielded lingerie football if we didn't pull in the Yankee blue collar kids.

Advertisement
Recruiting to UNC and recruiting to Texas are not the same thing. Texas is, usually, the big dog in the state and it should be a big dog regionally, if not nationally. UNC football has to fight for everything, What he is doing at UNC is amazing. ****, it isn't even a football school. And I readily admit I thought he'd do nothing there this time. I was wrong.

On your second point, Texas always tried to finalize their class prior to senior years and they recruited a bunch of maxed out, though highly rated, recruits. End result, those 17 year old commitments tended not to get much better in college.
The tobacco road and UT boosters are of the same ilk is more of my point. Mack is the type of coach that can harness their bball influence and parlay it into football.

Advertisement
I live amongst the UNC faithful in Charlotte. I can tell you that the donors for that school would like nothing more than to be a basketball school and a football school. Like most teams, they just want to be relevant.

Remember that despite all of the transplants in this area, a key rivalry is with USC (south). That is a fanbase with it's own fanatical delusional situation. But it is a team that UNC probably can compete with.

Quite frankly I was shocked when Drake committed to Bama. The Mayes are, from father down, as UNC as you get.

They dont have to fight for anything...they own the state. The state is a basketball state...but if your good in football..unc is where you want to go as most still have a preference for UNC basketball as well.
He's a recruiter, added more recruiters to his staff...nc state is a sh*t show, wake is irrelevant along with ecu.....and yea i expected this.

Also the VA line ...unc should do well with too.
Na man, I’m from N.C. and trust me, UNC doesn’t own a thing! Clemson and Georgia get the top kids from that state every year. Kids like Dexter Lawrence, Todd Gurley, Zeus White.... Top kids NEVER stay in state, Elijah Hood May have been the last one and he was headed to Norte Dame before they took a second back. The talk in that state for years is if an in state school could lock down the state for 2-3 years they’d finally be a perennial top 10 program.

Mack Brown is locking down NC, all the top kids in state except for Payton Page are staying home.

He has a staff full of good recruiters & UNC spends money.

I still think we beat them this year @ home, but recruiting wise Mack will have the Tar Heels in the top 10 every year.
Liberty I’ll give you this, the old man is a good recruiter but we both know a basketball school like UNC isn’t signing top ten recruiting classes consistently if ever. Come on man, UNC isn’t Texas where you can sign top ten classes in your sleep.

The tobacco road and UT boosters are of the same ilk is more of my point. Mack is the type of coach that can harness their bball influence and parlay it into football.

i was just about to say....they are the same..add to it the acc will want them to be good...i love it. W e need another real rival other than VT and FSU because i give a f about anybody else in the acc

Advertisement
Na man, I’m from N.C. and trust me, UNC doesn’t own a thing! Clemson and Georgia get the top kids from that state every year. Kids like Dexter Lawrence, Todd Gurley, Zeus White.... Top kids NEVER stay in state, Elijah Hood May have been the last one and he was headed to Norte Dame before they took a second back. The talk in that state for years is if an in state school could lock down the state for 2-3 years they’d finally be a perennial top 10 program.
Those schools are pulling the top talent from everywhere. UNC is King amongst the in-State schools for football.

Mac has always been a good recruiter, it was the X's and O's that got him. As long as he is there they will have a top 10-15 class each year. If they keep the trajectory going like it looks like it is for them, they're going to be a problem within the next year or two. Not just ACC wise but they may make some noise nationally if the defense can catch up to Howell and the offense.

Yea i lived there ....i know exactly what it is.

How much nc kids even go to GA?.

Any time UNC has even a smidgen of a credible coach they do this in recruiting. Happened with Butch shortly...Mack Brown b4...and hes back and did it again.

And.....NO on the bolded.

NC only really have elite guys at key positions footbal wise...every **** year they produce big time DL and some good OL. They got to go outside of the state in order to be perennial top 10...**** they never been that in their existence...and again...thats with NO Existing instate challenges...its not like iwth Florida with the real big 3 and programs like ucf or usf. In Nc.....got **** NC A&t is **** near better than their FBS programs.

I told y'all Mack was going to be a problem.

"Mack is the same as Richt," they said. "Mack is washed up," they said. "Mack benefited from Texas money they said.

I told y'all Mack took a 4-5 year break from the burnout that was Texas and Richt did not take a break. People kept comparing Richt to Mack but Mack at one point was dominating the Big12. Richt never dominated or won a championship.

I know it early but Mack might not make a contender but he'll make a difficult team to beat given his coaching connections and recruiting ability.

Advertisement
I told y'all Mack was going to be a problem.

"Mack is the same as Richt," they said. "Mack is washed up," they said. "Mack benefited from Texas money they said.

I told y'all Mack took a 4-5 year break from the burnout that was Texas and Richt did not take a break. People kept comparing Richt to Mack but Mack at one point was dominating the Big12. Richt never dominated or won a championship.

I know it early but Mack might not make a contender but he'll make a difficult team to beat given his coaching connections and recruiting ability.

Mack Brown won 7 games last year...1 of them being against us that he shouldnt have.

Mark Richt in his first year won 9 and in the second year **** near had u in them playoffs. I'll pipe down on saying he is better than Richt based off of them recruiting how they were supposed to in the first place.

Mack Brown never had problems getting recruits...the xs and os and on the field stuff is his issue. Wouldnt a won sh*t without Vince Young adlibbing and using his god given talent

@JBCanes-NC is truely an expert on all things Tar Heel. He mostly follows the hoops team and I’m shocked he didn’t jump into this thread at the mere mention of Luke Maye.

I will wait for him to weigh in on the Tar Heels before I get worried about them.

@Dr.L.ThugU has some money on them heels today.

Mack Brown never had problems getting recruits...the xs and os and on the field stuff is his issue. Wouldnt a won sh*t without Vince Young adlibbing and using his god given talent

Well he did make another natty title appearance and was giving Bama some resistance with Gilbert at QB that game. It wasn't like he was chop liver as a HC

Advertisement
Those schools are pulling the top talent from everywhere. UNC is King amongst the in-State schools for football.
Ok, if you mean as far as in state schools than I see your point in saying they’re at the top, but it’s VERY CLOSE with N.C. STATE. Doeren is just a TERRIBLE evaluator. I have a million stories I could tell from my coaching days about that but that’s for another day. As far my point tho, I was just alluding to the point made that they don’t have anyone to battle with for talent. Georgia and Clemson have OWNED that state and taken any kid worth caring for and it hasn’t even been close

Yea i lived there ....i know exactly what it is.

How much nc kids even go to GA?.

Any time UNC has even a smidgen of a credible coach they do this in recruiting. Happened with Butch shortly...Mack Brown b4...and hes back and did it again.

And.....NO on the bolded.

NC only really have elite guys at key positions footbal wise...every **** year they produce big time DL and some good OL. They got to go outside of the state in order to be perennial top 10...**** they never been that in their existence...and again...thats with NO Existing instate challenges...its not like iwth Florida with the real big 3 and programs like ucf or usf. In Nc.....got **** NC A&t is **** near better than their FBS programs.
Lol I get your point, id argue app state as best football program. Also, add running back to your claim as far as elite talent. The state has had a top 5 back probably 8 of the last 10 years

But yeah man, you kinda alluded to the point I wanted to make. It’s about the coach, which is why you can’t say UNC is king of the state. Mack had his run in the 90s, when he left, Unc went down and Amato came from FSU and made N.C. state the premier program. Butch came at the end of chucks run and took the mantle, going head to head with O’Brien at N.C. state who didn’t have a clue.

Then came Fedora who was a TERRIBLE in state recruiter. Case in point, the high school I went to alone had 5 4 stars or better that all wanted to go to UNC (because they were basketball fans) Pharoah Cooper, Derell Scott, Michael Bowman, Kyran Bowman and the top prospect of his class Keion Joyner. Fedora botched their recruitment in the worst way, leading to all 5 going elsewhere, including the only one that did commit to him, Kyran Bowman, who only wanted to play basketball anyways and is now with the Warriors.

My point wasn’t necessarily that you’re wrong, but that it’s so wide open in that state that whenever a program gets a top notch coach, things can go real well in a hurry! You made the point yourself saying Mack Brown and Butch Davis had things going right. Those two are both elite recruiters and national champion level coaches. There’s very few programs in the nation that can say they had coaches like that. It takes those type of coaches to keep the few elite kids, like you said, in state, which was my point.

Where from N.C. did you live btw?

Last edited:
They dont have to fight for anything...they own the state. The state is a basketball state...but if your good in football..unc is where you want to go as most still have a preference for UNC basketball as well.
He's a recruiter, added more recruiters to his staff...nc state is a sh*t show, wake is irrelevant along with ecu.....and yea i expected this.

Also the VA line ...unc should do well with too.

No, they don't. Look at the facts and use the top 10 in state recruits in each cycle. What was UNC doing before Mack?

2019 - his first year, pulled 2 of the top 10 in state.
2018 - 2 of 10
2017 - 4 of 10
2016 - 0 of 10
2015 - 2 of 10

We can go on, but the facts will remain the same. There is no argument UNC football "owns" the state in terms of recruiting. They absolutely have to fight oos schools for top in state recruits and they don't own the other in state schools. Over the time period above a) UNC never got the top in state recruit (he always went oos) and b) NC State got more top 10 in state kids. As another poster said, it really boils down to different programs at different times.

Last edited:
Lol I get your point, id argue app state as best football program. Also, add running back to your claim as far as elite talent. The state has had a top 5 back probably 8 of the last 10 years

But yeah man, you kinda alluded to the point I wanted to make. It’s about the coach, which is why you can’t say UNC is king of the state. Mack had his run in the 90s, when he left, Unc went down and Amato came from FSU and made N.C. state the premier program. Butch came at the end of chucks run and took the mantle, going head to head with O’Brien at N.C. state who didn’t have a clue.

Then came Fedora who was a TERRIBLE in state recruiter. Case in point, the high school I went to alone had 5 4 stars or better that all wanted to go to UNC (because they were basketball fans) Pharoah Cooper, Derell Scott, Michael Bowman, Kyran Bowman and the top prospect of his class Keion Joyner. Fedora botched their recruitment in the worst way, leading to all 5 going elsewhere, including the only one that did commit to him, Kyran Bowman, who only wanted to play basketball anyways and is now with the Warriors.

My point wasn’t necessarily that you’re wrong, but that it’s so wide open in that state that whenever a program gets a top notch coach, things can go real well in a hurry! You made the point yourself saying Mack Brown and Butch Davis had things going right. Those two are both elite recruiters and national champion level coaches. There’s very few programs in the nation that can say they had coaches like that. It takes those type of coaches to keep the few elite kids, like you said, in state, which was my point.

Where from N.C. did you live btw?

I stayed in Raleigh of all places. lol

I was there when Chuck had it rolling...Use to party with Mario Williams and the like. It was alot of Florida boys at Ncstate at that time.

Advertisement
Back