UNC and Ohio St* Suspending Voluntary Workouts

Advertisement
The problem with “just wait til Spring” is that there’s no reason to think people wont still be getting COVID 6-8 months from now.
Exactly **** could be worse. 3 million already in 6 months. It will be 6 to 8 million by end of the year. Lol **** no football for a while. **** anybody wanna challenge me in connect 4

We can kiss fall football goodbye.
We can play football this year, but it will only increase the number of positive cases in the country.

16E8EEED-CE97-49F1-B051-193B77F690AB.gif

Protect the elderly and move forward...I challenge all of you to pull up the data by age. This China virus impacts those over the age of 65 by and large. It's the majority and not even close.

There may never be a vaccine. So what do those that promote no sports this Fall, no in-school for kids, businesses closed and job lost want to do go forward?

Uh, you can’t isolate everyone over the age of 65. That’s about 50 million people in the US.

They interact with younger people all the time. They teach in schools and universities. Many of them have jobs. They go to bars and restaurants. They are in the same environments as everyone else. So they are going to be affected if you open schools up.

The entire world is unified in the race to find a vaccine for this thing. In fact, countries are salivating at the chance to be the first to come up with a fix. What we’re seeing now is so much different that with any other recent disease...swine flu, bird flu, and Ebola all kinda petered out before we ever got close to this stage.

So something will come through, most projections are within the next 6-12 months. The first iteration might not fix everything, but may reduce chances of transmission by 30-50%. And then we can tweak things from there.

Advertisement
Hold up.... UNC has 429 players and staffers? sooo 85 scholarship limit, say even 100 coaches and "support staff" and say another 100 "walk ons" thats still 285, how they get to this #?

I think they may be combining all athletic personnel.

Positive cases shouldn't matter. Its ICU beds, mortality rate, and hospitalizations that should. Those need to go down.

Positive cases do matter. Deaths and icu beds aren’t the only concerns.

As positive cases increase, the chances of spread to vulnerable populations also increases.

And we have no idea of the long-term health implications of this virus, but early indications are that even young people can suffer extensive lung damage, potential neurological damage, and other things.

So we need to be concerned about the whole picture, not just deaths and ICU beds.

Just an observation: We're still allowed to continue our "voluntary workouts" at the HS level here in Georgia. At this point I am more concerned to see the first lawsuit than I am about actually catching the virus itself and I am old is Moses relatively speaking. With the precedent being set by a lot of these colleges, I wonder how long it will be until they shut us down? As an aside, are the south Florida high schools allowed to do their voluntary workouts with coaches?

Advertisement
They altered it this offseason. There is a first time for everything. Not moving the draft would be bad for TV Networks, NFL will listen to networks.
They haven't altered anything. The did free agency and the draft on time and are planning to do the same with the regular season

I know the clip went viral but the Nats reliever was actually spot on when he said "Sports are a reward for a functioning society".

At the current rate this country doesn't even deserve to be able to watch women's billiards on ESPN3. Especially not if Janet Lee is involved.

Wake me up in fall of 2021. I'm gonna try to drive to New Zealand in the interim.

The problem with “just wait til Spring” is that there’s no reason to think people wont still be getting COVID 6-8 months from now.

yep covid isn’t just going to disappear and if the professionals are correct a second wave is going to hit around that time. Are we just not going to playsports for years???

First this is a real thing but it’s turned political with both parties. Someone is going to have to use there brain and see are these cases all Asymptomatic or just minor symptoms, if that’s the case play.

Advertisement
Protect the elderly and move forward...I challenge all of you to pull up the data by age. This China virus impacts those over the age of 65 by and large. It's the majority and not even close.

There may never be a vaccine. So what do those that promote no sports this Fall, no in-school for kids, businesses closed and job lost want to do go forward?

If you aren't a nursing home resident, over 70, and/or obese, it's the flu. Does that mean if you aren't in one of those categories you are immune? No. Does it mean you can't get really sick or even die from it? No.

But life needs to go on.

Advertisement
Man this coubtry will never be saved... lol

Seriously in hard times like these, sports makes us forget about issues in the world.

Maybe this is God's way of saying figure it out without sports. 🤷🏿‍♂️
It’s going to be a long dry spell for college athletics. Time to get the mind right to settle in and focus on the simple positives in life that COVID can’t take from us. Ignore the politics on TV and try to be a positive for others. With all that said, it’s going to hurt not seeing our DEs traumatize QBs this Fall.

If you aren't a nursing home resident, over 70, and/or obese, it's the flu. Does that mean if you aren't in one of those categories you are immune? No. Does it mean you can't get really sick or even die from it? No.

But life needs to go on.

Uhhh...

>40% of the US population is obese.
~15% of the US population is 65 and older.

Those populations interact with the everyone else on a daily basis.

And it’s not “just the flu” for everyone else. Early indications are that this thing takes a lot longer to recover from, and can have significant and severe long-term health impacts for all populations.

Otherwise, great post.

It’s going to be a long dry spell for college athletics. Time to get the mind right to settle in and focus on the simple positives in life that COVID can’t take from us. Ignore the politics on TV and try to be a positive for others. With all that said, it’s going to hurt not seeing our DEs traumatize QBs this Fall.
100% facts. Couldn't have said it better. If we can do that, then life shouldn't be that hard.

Advertisement
Back