UM's offensive staff should visit some offensive staffs in the Big12

What’s eerie is the fans that keep saying wait until he gets his players for his system sounds similar to what fans were saying about golden and his defense when he got here. A good coach designs a system around his players that he has even is that means changing constantly

Comparing Richt to Golden is a non-starter.

Do better. Can’t believe an actual smart poster agreed with you.

Advertisement
A good coach designs a system around his players that he has even is that means changing constantly

Kind of like - I don't know - designing an offense, from scratch, capable of turning Malik Rosier (again, guy would've been lucky to get a scholly from the sun belt) into the most prolific td producer at the position in the history of the program?

What’s eerie is the fans that keep saying wait until he gets his players for his system sounds similar to what fans were saying about golden and his defense when he got here. A good coach designs a system around his players that he has even is that means changing constantly

Bill Belichick went 6-10, 7-9, 7-9 his first three seasons as HC in Cleveland, is he bad at designing systems that maximize the talents of the players he has? Nick Saban went 26-12 in his first three seasons at LSU is he bad at building systems also? How about Pete Carroll in Seattle? 7-9, 7-9 in his first two seasons there, is he bad at building a system for his players also? Or is it just really obvious that you need to have good players, who fit what you are trying to do if you want to win a lot of games.

I am not saying Richt is flawless by any means but if you don't have the players I don't give a **** if you are a coaching messiah, there's only so much that can be done. The prior three retards left the program in shambles and Richt has done a solid job in two years cleaning up their mess. The homers here think UM has been relevant in football the ten years prior to Richt getting here but that is the opposite of the truth. It takes time to build back up a brand that was associated with mediocrity for a decade. I find it funny that members on this board say Folden recruited a bunch of players that don't belong in the program but then ***** at Richt for not winning championships with those same players within the first few years lol.

I think it is every bit as much Big 12 defenses being anemic as much as it is these "offensive gurus" running offense. Most of those teams played in the ACC or SEC they would get smothered much of the time.

OP keeps bringing up the Pitt game and blaming the coaching staff. The same coaching staff put up 50 against Pitt the year prior. It's amazing how much better an offense can be if you can complete a forward pass.

Everyone wants these dynamic offenses with full route trees and well executed zone blocking. The thing is, it ain't madden. When you aren't comfortable with your QB's ability to complete certain types of passes on certain routes, you can't call those plays or incorporate those concepts. When your offensive line can't execute a basic inside zone run, how are you going to expect them to handle more complicated assignments.

Some of that is on the coaches but in fairness to them, they inherited a QB who wouldn't start for FAU and the rest of the quarterbacks on the roster were freshmen who were clearly not ready to come in and start for a P5 program. They did the best they could with the cards they were dealt in that regard. I have less sympathy for coach Searles who inherited an experienced offensive line and could not even turn them into an average unit.

Richt and Brown aren't running a simplistic and sometimes predictable offense because they want to, It's because they have to.

Advertisement

If it takes a coach a team full of his players to start winning then that is an indictment of their abilities. I remember fans saying this about Shannon too when he took over for Coker.

If it takes a coach a team full of his players to start winning then that is an indictment of their abilities. I remember fans saying this about Shannon too when he took over for Coker.

Except Richt has won 19 games in two years so far with mostly Golden's players. So he doesn't need "his players" to win but if he can win 10 games with Golden's roster imagine what he can do with a team of his recruits?

For those that feel that the big 12 doesn't play good defense it's not that they don't play good defense it's that the offenses are just that much better. Hence why UM's offensive staff should visit some of the top tier big 12 schools.

Last edited:
Let's worship the conference that hasn't won a championship since 2005, and often gets left out of the playoffs.

WVU is in the Big 12 with one of those high powered offenses....

Advertisement
Let's worship the conference that hasn't won a championship since 2005, and often gets left out of the playoffs.

WVU is in the Big 12 with one of those high powered offenses....

OP's specifically talking about implementing similar plays from those offenses, not trying to be exactly like that team.

Oklahoma is in the Big 12 as well and let's see how their offense performed against against two top 10 defenses.

You mix a high-powered offense like an Oklahoma with a defense that has speed at all three levels like Miami and you have a championship caliber team.

OP's specifically talking about implementing similar plays from those offenses, not trying to be exactly like that team.

Oklahoma is in the Big 12 as well and let's see how their offense performed against against two top 10 defenses.

You mix a high-powered offense like an Oklahoma with a defense that has speed at all three levels like Miami and you have a championship caliber team.

Do you think any team besides Clemson would have been within 30 points of us last year with heisman winner/first pick in the draft, baker mayfield as our qb?

Can our coaches learn from other coaches? Sure.

Is the big 12 some magical place where every coach is an offensive wizard? No.

Do you think any team besides Clemson would have been within 30 points of us last year with heisman winner/first pick in the draft, baker mayfield as our qb?

Can our coaches learn from other coaches? Sure.

Is the big 12 some magical place where every coach is an offensive wizard? No.

As much as Baker made that offense their offensive line was equally as, if not more, important.

Our coaches should definitely listen/learn from other coaches. I'm not as versed as most on here about how an offense is supposed to function but I do know that our offense was bland and predictable by the end of the season.

I don't think any one inferred that it was; just that Ok State and Oklahoma usually have high-powered offenses and our coaches should visit them to get info.

Advertisement
For those that feel that the big 12 doesn't play good defense it's not that they don't play good defense it's that the offenses are just that much better. Hence why UM's offensive staff should visit some of the top tier big 12 schools.

4-7 in bowls vs ACC and SEC. But sure offensive stats look great vs the texas techs and ok states of the world. They allowed 30+ in all their losses because they can't defend.

Big 12 vs ACC in Bowls
Date Big 12 8 - 5 ACC
2017-12-28Oklahoma State30-21Virginia Tech W
2016-12-28West Virginia14-31Miami L
2015-12-31Oklahoma17-37Clemson L

Big 12 vs SEC in Bowls
Date Big 12 13 - 29 SEC
2018-01-01Oklahoma48-54Georgia L
2017-12-27Texas33-16Missouri W
2017-01-02Oklahoma35-19Auburn W
2016-12-30Texas Christian23-31Georgia L
2016-12-28Kansas State33-28Texas A&M W
2016-01-02Kansas State23-45Arkansas L
2016-01-01Oklahoma State20-48Mississippi L
2015-12-29Texas Tech27-56LSU L

I sat in the upper deck end zone for the Pitt game. We had someone open on every play. I’m still convinced that Rosier was hungover.

Advertisement
richts stubborn

you can't really criticize him on this board because of how much people love him, but I see issues with him.
You see issues with Richt, but the rest of us see receivers running open all over the place.

It isn’t a problem of not being able to criticize Richt. The problem is that the criticism is almost always lacking specifics.

Richt can’t win the big one...only 4 current D1 coaches have.

Our offense is vanilla...vanilla is still **** good ice cream, and no Gundry/Leach/Holgerson space-age offense has yet to conquer a fundamentally sound defense and a team that can effectively run the football.

We don’t run motion...we also don’t commit 10+ procedure penalties per game.

Criticize the man if you want, but please cut the bull**** with the same old, vague arguments.

Advertisement
Back