UM's New DC Manny Diaz Talking Past Defenses

Are you giving any consideration to MSU being a lower end SEC squad? They're probably the worst program in a loaded SEC West, and a bottom 5 SEC program overall.

he's been picking specific plays and making broad assumptions on them all week. No mention that his main point here (discrediting TFL and giving up the 20 yard pass) is inconsistent with Mississippi State being the best team in the nation in stopping pass plays of 20 yards or more

Problem with just looking at the 20 yard completion stat is that MSU was near the bottom of the NCAA in giving up extended long drives. So, they didn't give up a ton of 20 yard completions, but that doesn't mean you're stopping anyone. First downs are only 10 yards long.

Completely agree with this ^ he has to improve for sure on giving up 1st downs. His defenses ranked top 40 in 3rd down defense so it means he's giving up a lot of 1-15 yard pass plays in early downs. Idk much about scheme honestly, not sure if it's weak zones he's running or just doesn't have players in the right position but if he can't get it fixed I hope Richt fires him. Their inability to get off the field has me worried for sure.

Maybe i'm a little more optimistic than some (although have my doubts and took me a full day to not be mad about the Diaz hire), because just like you stated they were getting physically abused and worn down all game. They couldn't stop first downs from happening. They got to the quarterback and got plenty of TFL and avoided the big play but still gave up first downs. It means to me atleast that he has them playing disciplined in not being beat deep. I'm hoping that with more talent, smaller teams in the ACC, and UGA caliber S&C program, they may fare a little better in not allowing opponents to walk up and down the field on them as the game progresses

Just that is a completely different thing that what ericht is stating and implying i

Good stuff. I don't see too much changing in Diaz's approach with the addition of more talent. These coaches generally are who they are. He's going to run what he runs. I just cringe at the thought of us getting a few TFL here and there but then following them up by giving up a 15 yard pass for a 1st down. That soft zone **** just makes me sick.

Come on Chise, Rumph said it on the radio this morning so it must be true... man to man.

Advertisement
Are you giving any consideration to MSU being a lower end SEC squad? They're probably the worst program in a loaded SEC West, and a bottom 5 SEC program overall.

he's been picking specific plays and making broad assumptions on them all week. No mention that his main point here (discrediting TFL and giving up the 20 yard pass) is inconsistent with Mississippi State being the best team in the nation in stopping pass plays of 20 yards or more

Problem with just looking at the 20 yard completion stat is that MSU was near the bottom of the NCAA in giving up extended long drives. So, they didn't give up a ton of 20 yard completions, but that doesn't mean you're stopping anyone. First downs are only 10 yards long.

Completely agree with this ^ he has to improve for sure on giving up 1st downs. His defenses ranked top 40 in 3rd down defense so it means he's giving up a lot of 1-15 yard pass plays in early downs. Idk much about scheme honestly, not sure if it's weak zones he's running or just doesn't have players in the right position but if he can't get it fixed I hope Richt fires him. Their inability to get off the field has me worried for sure.

Maybe i'm a little more optimistic than some (although have my doubts and took me a full day to not be mad about the Diaz hire), because just like you stated they were getting physically abused and worn down all game. They couldn't stop first downs from happening. They got to the quarterback and got plenty of TFL and avoided the big play but still gave up first downs. It means to me atleast that he has them playing disciplined in not being beat deep. I'm hoping that with more talent, smaller teams in the ACC, and UGA caliber S&C program, they may fare a little better in not allowing opponents to walk up and down the field on them as the game progresses

Just that is a completely different thing that what ericht is stating and implying i

LOL, dude you know the answer... It was pointed out by Fully back in Lu's thread. smh

100% chance that Miami82 and FullyEricht are partners in life/related/or the same poster

haven't seen you post one thing not referencing your obsession with ericht

LOL, dude you know the answer... It was pointed out by Fully back in Lu's thread. smh

100% chance that Miami82 and FullyEricht are partners in life/related/or the same poster

haven't seen you post one thing not referencing your obsession with ericht

Stop the ad hominem attacks and figure out the riddle...

Advertisement
At 1:06:23 in the Arky game is why the whole TFL thing is absurd. So they stop Collins on 2 and 5 for a loss. Put one more in the TFL column.

But then on third down they give up a 20 yard pass to a wide open TE, en route to another TD. On that play, Manny brings his "signature" zone blitz, with the LBs spot dropping underneath, and they allow the TE to complete the play as they stand around staring at the QB covering grass. This is what he is best known for, and in 2015 it no longer works.

What do tackles for loss matter if you even them out by giving up wide open completions the very next play? In the end, they gave up nearly 500 yards of offense and 50 points to a lower end SEC squad. But the TFL will look good!

Arkansas was one of the better offenses in the SEC this year. They scored 50 points 4 out of their last 6 games. That said, he does play a ton of zone defense. People thinking that we are going to become more of a man to man defense is in for a rude awaken. What I don't understand is he grew up under Mickey Andrews and Chuck Amato. Mickey played a ton of man to man, and Amato played a lot of man at NC State. I believe you can't be a top defense playing a ton of zone coverage. Michigan doesn't do it. Alabama doesn't do it. LSU doesn't do it, and Clemson doesn't do it. Oklahoma does it all the time, and they looked horrible on defense in the Orange Bowl. He want last two years playing zone at Miami.

Yea I mean Arky was a 270 yards per game passing team.....against MSU they threw it for 406.......You'd like to see a guy with comparable talent be able to at least hold them to their average.

And your point about his coverage is what I've been screaming about but certain folks just don't want to hear it. This is not the defense people were asking for.

I just hope people don't do the all too predictable "blame the players the first two seasons" thing.

You don't have to tell me, I watched the game. I am from Arkansas and all my friends are Razorback's fans but me. When I tell you, Mississippi State couldn't stop Arkansas at all.

I think Arkansas punted twice. Arkansas did lead the conference in the least amount of punts, but DAM, you can't stop them more that two times.

My friends and I were watching the Arkansas, Kansas State game when the news broke that Diaz was our coordinator. They just laughed at me.

Good stuff. I don't see too much changing in Diaz's approach with the addition of more talent. These coaches generally are who they are. He's going to run what he runs. I just cringe at the thought of us getting a few TFL here and there but then following them up by giving up a 15 yard pass for a 1st down. That soft zone **** just makes me sick.

Come on Chise, Rumph said it on the radio this morning so it must be true... man to man.

Pretty sure Rumph corrected Buckethead Rose when Rose said, "Yeah, Mike. Gonna be playing bump and run." Rumph jumped in and said, "We're going to mix it up."

Although playing some form of man is essential, press zone would be just as effective. Gotta be disruptive upfront and on the perimeter.

Here's how I see things playing out. Coach Kool is going to bring fire upfront. Sync the secondary...starting with press technique on the corners. Diaz can choose his moments with those backer fires. I'm not a fan of them anyways. Safeties have got be able to cover. Linebackers can't spot drop. If nothing else roll strong or weak. Reduce area and maintain leverage. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced we're getting vintage Cane Defense. We will win upfront - cover-2.

Advertisement
Although playing some form of man is essential, press zone would be just as effective. Gotta be disruptive upfront and on the perimeter.

Here's how I see things playing out. Coach Kool is going to bring fire upfront. Sync the secondary...starting with press technique on the corners. Diaz can choose his moments with those backer fires. I'm not a fan of them anyways. Safeties have got be able to cover. Linebackers can't spot drop. If nothing else roll strong or weak. Reduce area and maintain leverage. The more I think about it the more I'm convinced we're getting vintage Cane Defense. We will win upfront - cover-2.

Good stuff.

Have you had a chance to look at any MSU games?

Good stuff.

Have you had a chance to look at any MSU games?

Not tape.. I caught a few of their game this year. Wasn't impressed. Don't want to see it.

Agreed, but we haven't seen that from him. He likes keeping his safeties deep to prevent the big play and leaves his DB's in a soft zone and gets eaten up with 10-15 yard passes from accurate QB's. If you really think about it, he loves using pressure with the front 7 and then plays safe with the back. Why not mix it up...

Advertisement

Agreed, but we haven't seen that from him. He likes keeping his safeties deep to prevent the big play and leaves his DB's in a soft zone and gets eaten up with 10-15 yard passes from accurate QB's. If you really think about it, he loves using pressure with the front 7 and then plays safe with the back. Why not mix it up...

You're correct we haven't seen it from him, but that's Miami's DNA. Diaz is receptive to change as I seem to recall his defenses at UT featured more man coverage.

So, there's that fact. To be honest, the secondary hires don't sound that ****, but I applaud the split coaching hires. As a former CB, I can't stress that enough, Specialized, hands-on coaching by position.

Yeah, Diaz just needs to clean up the loose concepts. 3rd down defense. Gotta get off the field. Match/mix I don't care just get off the field

Advertisement
This whole "diaz is gonna play man" thing is downright silly. As I said earlier, it would be like hiring Paul Johnson and saying "well he must know how we do it in Miami is pro style" and expecting him to change. This is the guy we hired, we basically let him pick his entire defensive staff except for Kool, and part of that was bc at his last major gig he had a DB coach who thought playing zone all the time sucked.

Coaches at this level, who have been given large raises, aren't going to come here and scrap their system b/c fans like bump and run.

I mean it's amazing you have radio hosts hearing a press release about "aggressive" defense, but too lazy to take the 10 minutes it requires to watch the first few drives of any game he coached against a decent pass offense to see that no, he doesn't play bump and run.

For anyone to assume he is going to just change his entire defense simply b/c the word "aggressive" was used in a press release is just absurd. Grasping at straws here. If you like his defense, by all means praise it. But if you don't, it's a huge cop out to say "wellllll he'll just run JJs defense and we back bro!"

didn't rumph say in a interview when he talked to diaz that we were going to run more man to man

LOL, yes, yes he did. Ill believe when I see it.

agree I'm holding on any judgement until i see how they are on the field

You know Rumph will be pushing for it.

Doubt it. That's what the DB coach in Texas wanted. I think that's exactly why we ended up with a grad assistant and a HS coach as the DBs coaches, b/c those dudes are def not going to stand up to Diaz on their first rodeo. No chance.

didn't rumph say in a interview when he talked to diaz that we were going to run more man to man

Definately but lets see if manny just goes with his scheme or he tweaks it with the personnel he has

Doubt it. That's what the DB coach in Texas wanted. I think that's exactly why we ended up with a grad assistant and a HS coach as the DBs coaches, b/c those dudes are def not going to stand up to Diaz on their first rodeo. No chance.

There isn't any evidence I can use to argue against the doubt that's why most that read LU's thread come away with the same concerns.
However I wouldn't automatically assume Rumph is just going to role over and be a yes man either. As the UT year bears out Diaz does try different things, on why he did is another story.

I'll wait and see how this plays out. We may see as soon as Spring game as well.

Advertisement
Back