UM's New DC Manny Diaz Talking Past Defenses

one thing i noticed is the MSU offense didnt put up points. could lead to a tired defense.

Advertisement
The defense looked good against Bama. Held them to 24 pts and under 375 yards total offense. Looked really good in 1st half.

The Ole Miss game on the other-hand is awful. They couldn't stop Ole Miss from doing whatever they wanted. Played too far off Treadwell/WRs and got nickle and dime'd to death. Ole Miss's QB also ran all over them. I can see what FullyEricht is saying in regards to gap integrity and ability to stop spread running teams.

I will say this - they are completely outmatched in both of those games. Miss St players aren't big at all, and quite frankly aren't that fast either. Ole Miss on the other-hand is loaded at the skill position and QB. Couple this with the fact that it's Diaz's first year back at Miss St and I'm leaning towards giving him the benefit of the doubt.

We will struggle against UNC/VT the most imo based off what I've seen.

I don't see a ton of crazy exotic blitzes as many have referred too. Seems to be much more conservative than his older days. Against Bama they got a lot of pressure with just 4 or 5. Against Ole Miss they ran right by RBs/QB on every play.

*My question to the experts here is... why can't Diaz just adjust his defense based upon the opponent and have his players play with a little more gap integrity against spread run teams and "run to daylight" against traditional offenses?

Agree on the spread offenses, that is obviously the huge concern bc UNC and VT will be our main rivals in the Coastal moving forward.

I'm hoping working with Coach Kool with be huge in Diaz's on going development. Its hard not to get excited about the DL every time I see a clip of Mizzo's pass rushers.

The defense looked good against Bama. Held them to 24 pts and under 375 yards total offense. Looked really good in 1st half.

The Ole Miss game on the other-hand is awful. They couldn't stop Ole Miss from doing whatever they wanted. Played too far off Treadwell/WRs and got nickle and dime'd to death. Ole Miss's QB also ran all over them. I can see what FullyEricht is saying in regards to gap integrity and ability to stop spread running teams.

I will say this - they are completely outmatched in both of those games. Miss St players aren't big at all, and quite frankly aren't that fast either. Ole Miss on the other-hand is loaded at the skill position and QB. Couple this with the fact that it's Diaz's first year back at Miss St and I'm leaning towards giving him the benefit of the doubt.

I don't see a ton of crazy exotic blitzes as many have referred too. Seems to be much more conservative than his older days. Against Bama they got a lot of pressure with just 4 or 5. Against Ole Miss they ran right by RBs/QB on every play.

*My question to the experts here is... why can't Diaz just adjust his defense based upon the opponent and have his players play with a little more gap integrity against spread run teams and "run to daylight" against traditional offenses?

Hard to run two different style defenses at the same time. He sticks with his system b/c he believes it works. Nothing unusual about that, our last DC believed what he was doing was the correct way too.

When he discusses Texas, he never makes mention of inherent fundamental flaws in his defense. Instead it's about the lack of experienced players, the DBs not having instincts. Accountability of the players. Trust of the players. Not a single thing about how running spot drop zone with 6 players is a recipe for death against spread teams. And clearly, he continued to employ that concept at MSU when he returned.

It reminds me so much of the attitude Golden had. His joke defense worked at Temple, so when it was getting torched here, instead of thinking he needed to change, he thought it was the players fault.

Hard to run two different style defenses at the same time. He sticks with his system b/c he believes it works. Nothing unusual about that, our last DC believed what he was doing was the correct way too.

When he discusses Texas, he never makes mention of inherent fundamental flaws in his defense. Instead it's about the lack of experienced players, the DBs not having instincts. Accountability of the players. Trust of the players. Not a single thing about how running spot drop zone with 6 players is a recipe for death against spread teams. And clearly, he continued to employ that concept at MSU when he returned.

It reminds me so much of the attitude Golden had. His joke defense worked at Temple, so when it was getting torched here, instead of thinking he needed to change, he thought it was the players fault.

Its creepy. No d' ofrio-like

Advertisement
[video=youtube;1XOPTF98cRM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XOPTF98cRM[/video]

I cannot understand how anyone can watch this and think this looks anything like a "Miami style defense". It is mind blowing. The first two drives, both resulting in scores for Ole ****, the DBs are playing WAY off. Zone coverage the ENTIRE time. Massive gaping holes in the zone. Terrible run fits. And he's playing with two standup ends for no reason.

I mean we can talk about results, which I think most would say are average. But you can't watch this and say this looks like the type of "attacking, pressed CBs, Miami style defense".

this day and age gotta have a complete team that can have a defense that can grind when the game's a grinder, and an offense that can score 56 when the game's a big 12 style shootout.. every DC in the country is getting lit up at certain points in this day and age, just gotta be built as a complete team to step up as needed.

Advertisement
I have seen nothing of Diaz that tells me he is what Miami is looking for on defense. I don't see the aggression people are talking about. You want aggressive, Bud Foster is aggressive. Mickey Andrews was aggressive. I don't see that here.

I have seen nothing of Diaz that tells me he is what Miami is looking for on defense. I don't see the aggression people are talking about. You want aggressive, Bud Foster is aggressive. Mickey Andrews was aggressive. I don't see that here.

this first 2 years were under andrews and that is who's philosophy he uses.

Advertisement

this first 2 years were under andrews and that is who's philosophy he uses.
I know his pedigree, but the games I saw Diaz coach in do not resemble Andrews. When the opposing team got to FSU's side of the ball Andrews would go ape**** on blitzes. His DE's usually played hands down and rushed upfield. I don't see that with Diaz. I actually see a lot of 3-4 with him.

I didn't get a chance to watch any of this yet. (and haven't seen any of Diaz other work)

Soooooo, he's not actually aggressive? And we'll be spot-dropping again?

Fvck man!

Agreed!

Saying "Aggressive" sounds nice. That is what MR is banking on to appease the fans.

Advertisement
Why don't we give Diaz a month's worth of games to coach so we see what he does with the guys we have... And then we can fight about it all over again.

Team Tackles for Loss | FBS Football Statistics - NCAA.com

Mississippi State tied for 9th in the country in TFL.

Miami at 105 in the country in TFL.

I'll take 9th, but I guess that's not aggressive enough for some.

The Just blitzing more creates that stat. Diaz' defense between the 20s.....another story.

So he's blitzing so much to create that stat but not between the 20s. Is he doing the majority of blitzing inside the 20s?

Advertisement
Back