UM's New DC Manny Diaz Talking Past Defenses

Why don't we give Diaz a month's worth of games to coach so we see what he does with the guys we have... And then we can fight about it all over again.

Agreed. No one in their right mind wanted Diaz as DC. He is here now. Nothing we can do.

Some are showing blind loyalty because of Richt. Some are disappointed after vetting his past defenses. I guess neither side is wrong.

Let's just watch. If he is average..........well, he was average at best before he arrived here. Nothing new!

Blame MR if that happened....he hired the guy.

If MD is good, thank MR.

Advertisement
Team Tackles for Loss | FBS Football Statistics - NCAA.com

Mississippi State tied for 9th in the country in TFL.

Miami at 105 in the country in TFL.

I'll take 9th, but I guess that's not aggressive enough for some.

The Just blitzing more creates that stat. Diaz' defense between the 20s.....another story.

So he's blitzing so much to create that stat but not between the 20s. Is he doing the majority of blitzing inside the 20s?

Just saying that it is easier for a Defense to be Stout in the redzone.....less field to cover.

The great defenses are stout everywhere.....especially between the 20s.

It not hard to move the ball on MD's defenses.

The Just blitzing more creates that stat. Diaz' defense between the 20s.....another story.

So he's blitzing so much to create that stat but not between the 20s. Is he doing the majority of blitzing inside the 20s?

Just saying that it is easier for a Defense to be Stout in the redzone.....less field to cover.

That was exactly Donofrio's strategy was to give up yards between the 20's and tighten down in the redzone, yet he is 96 spots behind Diaz. Explain that.

That was exactly Donofrio's strategy was to give up yards between the 20's and tighten down in the redzone, yet he is 96 spots behind Diaz. Explain that.

No need to explain it. Dorito is a bad DC. But.....only bad DCs have to tighten up! Diaz is a disappointing hire, but he is who MR hired. We are stuck with him.

One can hope....just don't surprised if Diaz is well...Diaz.

Advertisement
Agreed. No one in their right mind wanted Diaz as DC. He is here now. Nothing we can do.

Some are showing blind loyalty because of Richt. Some are disappointed after vetting his past defenses. I guess neither side is wrong.

Let's just watch. If he is average..........well, he was average at best before he arrived here. Nothing new!

what a pile of horse $h^& post above. Richt has forgotten more about football that your couch loving A$$ will EVER know. The guy was given the $ to get pretty much anyone he wanted and picked Diaz. That's IT, so get over it. You make an absolute fool of yourself by trying to say you could have done better on this hire 2 weeks into it. Let's just let the pro's do their job and you keep slogging away at whatever pays your mortgage. God almighty how did UM get some of this fan base!

what a pile of horse $h^& post above. Richt has forgotten more about football that your couch loving A$$ will EVER know. The guy was given the $ to get pretty much anyone he wanted and picked Diaz. That's IT, so get over it. You make an absolute fool of yourself by trying to say you could have done better on this hire 2 weeks into it. Let's just let the pro's do their job and you keep slogging away at whatever pays your mortgage. God almighty how did UM get some of this fan base!

Richt has a history of picking mediocre DCs. Fact. Just look at how many he fired at UGA.

News Flash: Mark is average himself. What has he done lately? Nothing!

Advertisement

Richt has a history of picking mediocre DCs. Fact. Just look at how many he fired at UGA.

News Flash: Mark is average himself. What has he done lately? Nothing!

LOL...Miami fans. This dude won almost 100 more games than losses in the SEC and he's average...hilarious

Last edited:
[video=youtube;iW13h_UNFh4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iW13h_UNFh4[/video]

Roasted in their firezone coverage.....frankly all of their coverage looks ***....glad we hired to rookies to help with Diaz's glaring deficiency.

406 passing yards against.

Last edited:

How does a guy suffer through the Golden era and still think it's a mortal sin to question a coach? I'm not equating Richt to Goldern but all that "guy's forgotten more about cfb than you will over know" crap applies equally. Ridiculous to think a message board is only here to porst "attaboy, we back" every few minutes.

Advertisement
You don't see the naysayers in the positive threads about Diaz, backed up with stats, but boy they flood the negative ones.

You don't see the naysayers in the positive threads about Diaz, backed up with stats, but boy they flood the negative ones.

Against any above average passing offense he gets absolutely obliterated. He just didn't face many of those in his early SEC days.

Our two biggest hurdles for the coastal are pass first offenses. All I can say is, watch out.

Advertisement

How does a guy suffer through the Golden era and still think it's a mortal sin to question a coach? I'm not equating Richt to Goldern but all that "guy's forgotten more about cfb than you will over know" crap applies equally. Ridiculous to think a message board is only here to porst "attaboy, we back" every few minutes.

Fragile minds can't handle the thought that we might not be on the road "back" after all

At 1:06:23 in the Arky game is why the whole TFL thing is absurd. So they stop Collins on 2 and 5 for a loss. Put one more in the TFL column.

But then on third down they give up a 20 yard pass to a wide open TE, en route to another TD. On that play, Manny brings his "signature" zone blitz, with the LBs spot dropping underneath, and they allow the TE to complete the play as they stand around staring at the QB covering grass. This is what he is best known for, and in 2015 it no longer works.

What do tackles for loss matter if you even them out by giving up wide open completions the very next play? In the end, they gave up nearly 500 yards of offense and 50 points to a lower end SEC squad. But the TFL will look good!

1:08 in the arky game, more of the wide open, soft zone we all know and love, for a massive easy completion. He also had a wide open flat route for an easy first down. This coverage is identical to Doritos, getting slowly bled all the way down the field. Watch the film and tell me it isn't. Guys running wide open all over the field. It's every game, every opponent. This is why the B12 ate him alive, not some fabricated nonsense about his DBs coach revolting. If anything, the DB coach revolted bc he couldn't stand seeing his players sit around covering grass all game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back