UM's Defensive Stats

Miami's defense was very good all year - not perfect, and not stifling in all phases at all times - but very good. The most important statistics, if I recall correctly, are turnover margin - where Miami excelled - and yards per pass attempt. Miami finished 15th in YPA which is good but not championship caliber, and was #1 in turnovers and #2 in turnover margin against Power 5 opposition. Despite the game flow last weekend, Clemson only averaged 1.8YPC on the ground, on 41 carries. That's a **** of a defense. We fans are unhappy about the Clemson outcome, but Bandy got hurt on the first series and it obviously screwed up the nickel combinations on that short Clemson passing game. We can play what-if, but it happened and Miami didn't have the depth to recover.

They got tired towards the end of the year as the depth isn't there for 11 consecutive games, and they faced a ton of plays. That'll get better.

Bottom line: the offense couldn't stay on the field long enough, especially late in the year - whether due to lack of skill, injury or whatever. But for a rebuilding year, I don't see much to complain about here on the defensive side of the football.

Advertisement
Top 10 in Yard per play and top 15 in scoring defense. Our defense is always on the field because our offense whether they're balling or not isn't staying on the field. Its either big play touchdown within 2 minutes or 3 and out.

We aren't a top 10 defense.

We should be considering our schedule and talent advantage over every single team.

We also didn't really improve in a ton of defensive metrics over last year.

We were 109th on 3rd down conversions against per game. We were 92nd last year.
57th in 3rd down conversions against percentage. In 2016 we were 58th. We were a percentage point better this season. For comparison, Bama, Wisky, UGA, Auburn, OSU, and Clemson were all in the top 20 in this stat.

We also gave up the slightest bit more yards per game this year than in 2016 (362 to 359).

We gave up 20.1 first downs per game, compared to 19 last year. Both are bottom half of FBS numbers.

Our offensive TOP is atrocious, this year we were 120th in the nation. Last year we were 93rd.

We gave up 20 points per game this year. That was 23rd in the nation. 19 last year.

I totally get the importance of yards per play. But ignore literally every other defensive stat and declaring only the ones we are good in matter, seems very biased.

Overall it's a good, not great defense. Whats most troublesome is there was little to no improvement year over year.

Diaz gets a pass around here because of the offensive struggles, but we are far from a dominant D. I'm hoping that a talent level increase will see a performance level increase the next couple of years.

Advertisement
Minor point, but remember we canceled a cupcake game. This likely would have some impact on per game stats in all categories.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was going to point this out, too.

Would upvote a second time and laughing it took someone this long to point a major flaw in the metric data base here. Cancelling a cupcake game and not having those stats in 2017 comparison make this whole thread garbage. Mods should just lock it now.

Minor point, but remember we canceled a cupcake game. This likely would have some impact on per game stats in all categories.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was going to point this out, too.

Would upvote a second time and laughing it took someone this long to point a major flaw in the metric data base here. Cancelling a cupcake game and not having those stats in 2017 comparison make this whole thread garbage. Mods should just lock it now.

Really weird to get emotional about stats. You play the schedule in front of you. If we needed a cupcake to not look as sketchy on defense, then I think that answers whether or not our defense is all that great. JMO.

Our defense underperformed relative to the talent on the roster. Cherry pick all the stats you want. Doesn't change the fact that we got chewed up too often, especially in the 2nd half of the season.

Just watch the games. Particularly, look at the stretch drive and how badly we got worked by two bad offenses (UVA and Pitt) and one good offense (Clem). Compare and contrast what UVA/Benkert did to us to what they did the following week at home against Vag Tech.

We created two record setting consecutive completion QBs and made a true freshman in his first start for a 4-7 team look like Joe Montana. We were actually fairly dreadful down the stretch defensively.

Our defense underperformed relative to the talent on the roster. Cherry pick all the stats you want. Doesn't change the fact that we got chewed up too often, especially in the 2nd half of the season.

Just watch the games. Particularly, look at the stretch drive and how badly we got worked by two bad offenses (UVA and Pitt) and one good offense (Clem). Compare and contrast what UVA/Benkert did to us to what they did the following week at home against Vag Tech.

We created two record setting consecutive completion QBs and made a true freshman in his first start for a 4-7 team look like Joe Montana. We were actually fairly dreadful down the stretch defensively.

Chise, will this be our version of Willy Martinez? Does Richt have any other Cuban DCs up his sleeve?

Advertisement
We played some baddddd offenses.

The turnovers were the reason for our success, and Manny deserves a lot of credit for that.

I just can't stand the soft zones early in the game, and allowing teams to pick up 3rd and long on a consistent basis. I actually hope for 3rd and short more than I do 3rd and long. We seem more successful stopping short yardage.

Offense:
58th in scoring
57th in yards per game
74th in rushing
73rd in rush yards per game
76th in 1st downs
128th in 3rd down conversion (which is bottom 3rd in all of FBS) & a 29.4% 3rd down percentage

The Defense definitely struggled & wasn't as good as they could be.

But, I challenge anyone to find an offensive stat we were top 10/15 in, because despite the bad Defensive play they were at least top 10/15 in 5 Defensive categories & were actually top 5 in 3 Defensive categories.

Go take a look at all the P5 schools (many in the ACC) that are ahead of us statistically on Offense, it's not just a bunch of G5 schools.

No one has argued the Defense is perfect or invincible, but why are the tasked with having to carry the Offense?

This is college football, Offense is literally the easiest thing to do out there, there's no excuse for a team that has as many talented skill players as we have at RB, WR & TE for them to struggle so much doing the most basic ****.

The Defense made bad QB's look great, well how did our Offense make bad Defenses look? 1-7 UNC gave up well over 160yds rushing to every FBS opponent before they played us & we only rushed for 59yds, why couldn't we run the ball on them?

I think it has been well established that the offense is no good.

Why some people constantly need to deflect the defensive issues back onto the offense is puzzling.

I think it has been well established that the offense is no good.

Why some people constantly need to deflect the defensive issues back onto the offense is puzzling.

Lol. "2001" is the banned troll "WilforkHOF".

The defensive was dominant this year. The stats bear it out. Third down defense was great outside Toledo and Bethune. Yards per play elite. It just got worn down a little.

Advertisement
Florida never had trouble fielding great defenses with absolutely abysmal offenses much worse than ours. The D just isn't great, you can try and nitpick stats all you want like everyone did in the beginning of Golden years... Unfortunately games aren't won by having the most sacks or TFL. Either we are vastly over rating the players or Diaz is a mediocre to average DC. The NFL draft should answer that for us.

I was under the impression that our defense is a fairly young unit this year.

Assuming a best case scenario (no one leaves early for the draft), how many returning starters will be on our defense?

Advertisement
I was under the impression that our defense is a fairly young unit this year.

Assuming a best case scenario (no one leaves early for the draft), how many returning starters will be on our defense?

Norton-RJ-Joe Jack
Pinckney-Shaq-Mccloud
Young-Mike Jack
JJ-Redwine

2016- 345.4 Yards/game

2017- 362.4 Yards/game.

That's a lot of yards folks!!!

Our defense was very inconsistent this year. Stats wise it was worse than last year with players with more experience overall. Turnoverchain was nice, but we just didn't improve and made average QB's seem like the next coming of Jesus. Improvements in the coaching area should take place. I just feel that Diaz is not the answer if we are aiming to be ultimately a championship Team. The areas he's responsible for, Defense and LB's underperformed overall. His Defenses do not remind me at all of previous U great defenses.

Just my thoughts.

Bro.. our OFFENSE sucked all year... I'm just guessing but I wouldn't be surprised if our O broke the school record for most 3 and outs in a year... a crappy offense will keep it's defense on the field longer than otherwise...More time on the field for any defense per game means more yards allowed per game... You fix the O, and this D is giving up 70-100 less yards per game, which would put us in the Top 10 nationally. It's that simple.

GO CANES!!

We were very young in the secondary - thought the LBs took a step back - feels like they need to be pushed by young talent - yards per play is the standard on D - this side of the ball wasnt the issue
- Many on on this board felt we could win with an average QB and we wouldnt miss Brad - you were wrong
- And those of you that thought we would win without Brad - I am confident even you would have had doubts if I told you Walton would go down and our best WR would be hurt for most of the year

Advertisement
Back