UM's Defensive Stats

twalcott5

Freshman
2016- 345.4 Yards/game

2017- 362.4 Yards/game.

That's a lot of yards folks!!!

Our defense was very inconsistent this year. Stats wise it was worse than last year with players with more experience overall. Turnoverchain was nice, but we just didn't improve and made average QB's seem like the next coming of Jesus. Improvements in the coaching area should take place. I just feel that Diaz is not the answer if we are aiming to be ultimately a championship Team. The areas he's responsible for, Defense and LB's underperformed overall. His Defenses do not remind me at all of previous U great defenses.

Just my thoughts.

Advertisement
With the front 7 we had coming back, we should have been a top 10 defense and I’d say the defense underperformed.

We struggled getting off the field all year. Too often, we performed fairly well on 1st and 2nd downs, and then gave up a big 3rd down. I'm not ready to give up on Diaz, but this is just not elite defense. At times, we allowed quarterbacks to get way too comfortable.

the uva qb is a top 5 draft qb.

tell me who else other than the top team in the country we under performed on.

perhaps you dont understand that the defense knew the all season they would have to help malik. they probably got sick of it by pitt.

no excuse for the poor play versus clemson but again our offense went 3 and out multiple times (or pretty close to 3 and out) to start the game.

we were tops or close to it in TO, sacks and TFLs.

put this defense on oklahoma and they'd never lose a game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The defense played ok at times, at other times they allowed big runs (FSU and NC torched us running the ball) and they allowed huge passing days (Toledo, Virginia, Clemson) against other teams. Very inconsistent and not a top 10 defense for sure.

The one thing we did have going for us is turnovers. We caused a lot of turnovers this year. It's a shame our offense is garbage cause we rarely capitalized off of them.

I like how hard we play and the aggressiveness. I think that sometimes hurts us but I would rather have kids going 100% then have a soft *** D.

That being said, Manny is learning the league and will improve as we stack talent.

2016- 345.4 Yards/game

2017- 362.4 Yards/game.

That's a lot of yards folks!!!

Our defense was very inconsistent this year. Stats wise it was worse than last year with players with more experience overall. Turnoverchain was nice, but we just didn't improve and made average QB's seem like the next coming of Jesus. Improvements in the coaching area should take place. I just feel that Diaz is not the answer if we are aiming to be ultimately a championship Team. The areas he's responsible for, Defense and LB's underperformed overall. His Defenses do not remind me at all of previous U great defenses.

Just my thoughts.

Just remember, we lost our whole secondary to the NFL. That was one of the biggest ? marks we had coming in to this season. Plus we’ve exponentially increased our TO ratio this year. We led the nation in TFL, and were top 5 in sacks. But, the “bend don’t break” attitude we have to begin games and the 3rd qtr gotta stop. Maybe they don’t feel as confident as they did last year w bump/run and straight man. We made improvements in a lot of areas, including RZ def.

Advertisement
Average yards per play,

4.7 in 2016

4.6 in 2017

Let's see folks, our Defense improved by 0.1 yards per play over 2016. Wow what an improvement!! Last time I did my Math, 4.6 yards/Play x 3 downs= 13.8 Yards per every 3 downs, which means basically that on an average basis, our Defense never got off the field. These stats for a Defense suck folks!

Yds/play, TO margin, and PPG are all much more appropriate stats for grading a defense than yds/game.

Take OSU for example... on the advanced metrics they're the nations leading D based on pace of play - they are a homerun offense so their D is usually on the field a lot more than say an Alabama who sustains offensive drives constantly.

We are much more like OSU - lots of 3 & outs or big plays...

Average yards per play,

4.7 in 2016

4.6 in 2017

Let's see folks, our Defense improved by 0.1 yards per play over 2016. Wow what an improvement!! Last time I did my Math, 4.6 yards/Play x 3 downs= 13.8 Yards per every 3 downs, which means basically that on an average basis, our Defense never got off the field. These stats for a Defense suck folks!

Please stop posting - Alabama (#1 in yds/play) are also giving up more than a 1st down per 3 downs. Do you think a defense is just not supposed to give up a single yard? FFS.

Advertisement
Average yards per play,

4.7 in 2016

4.6 in 2017

cfbstats.com - 2017 National Team Leaders

No team averaged less than 4 yards per play. So I guess on average no defense gets off the field, huh?

With the front 7 we had coming back, we should have been a top 10 defense and I’d say the defense underperformed.

Miami should have EASILY been ranked somewhere in the Top 25, total defense, and not No. 42. And that's all on Diaz and his staff. Of course, the exception to the Orange and Green rule, is Coach Kool. hUh.

Average yards per play,

4.7 in 2016

4.6 in 2017

Please stop posting - Alabama (#1 in yds/play) are also giving up more than a 1st down per 3 downs. Do you think a defense is just not supposed to give up a single yard? FFS.

Both mighty Roll Tide, Roll and mighty Clemson are the current STANDARDS for team defense. No ifs, buts or dUh.

Advertisement
Blame Diaz For all of the open receivers that Rozier missed too. Do you realize how bad we were on third down on offense this year? Do you realize how many extra plays this defense had to play against high paced up-tempo offenses?

They did absolutely fantastic with what they had to work with on the other side of the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Minor point, but remember we canceled a cupcake game. This likely would have some impact on per game stats in all categories.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Average yards per play,

4.7 in 2016

4.6 in 2017

We're 14th in yards per play on defense this year.

That certainly does not suck.

Average yards per play,

4.7 in 2016

4.6 in 2017

Please stop posting

You want me to stop posting because we disagree? Isn't the goal of these posts to brainstorm for none of us has all of the answers, but at the end we want our team to do well?.. Isn't the goal of Defense to give up as few yards as possible and improve their Defense year over year? If you are please with our Defense and defensive stats, they we are watching different ball games bro. No way in **** that we will win championships playing defense the way we have been. Defense wins championships, not offenses.

Advertisement
Back