UM's Defensive Stats

2016- 345.4 Yards/game

2017- 362.4 Yards/game.

That's a lot of yards folks!!!

Our defense was very inconsistent this year. Stats wise it was worse than last year with players with more experience overall. Turnoverchain was nice, but we just didn't improve and made average QB's seem like the next coming of Jesus. Improvements in the coaching area should take place. I just feel that Diaz is not the answer if we are aiming to be ultimately a championship Team. The areas he's responsible for, Defense and LB's underperformed overall. His Defenses do not remind me at all of previous U great defenses.

Just my thoughts.

"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination." ~Vin Scully

Advertisement
Average yards per play,

4.7 in 2016

4.6 in 2017

Let's see folks, our Defense improved by 0.1 yards per play over 2016. Wow what an improvement!! Last time I did my Math, 4.6 yards/Play x 3 downs= 13.8 Yards per every 3 downs, which means basically that on an average basis, our Defense never got off the field. These stats for a Defense suck folks!

Please stop posting

You want me to stop posting because we disagree? Isn't the goal of these posts to brainstorm for none of us has all of the answers, but at the end we want our team to do well?.. Isn't the goal of Defense to give up as few yards as possible and improve their Defense year over year? If you are please with our Defense and defensive stats, they we are watching different ball games bro. No way in **** that we will win championships playing defense the way we have been. Defense wins championships, not offenses.

I did not disagree with your overall point of our defense underperforming. I am stating that based on our offensive tendencies we're going to give up more yards overall per game. That is just the truth. I am pointing out that you're not looking at the right stats to back up your argument of our defense being bad.

To further my point of the defense/scheme being fine (in my opinion), we led the nation in TO margin, TFL, and sacks in the regular season.

Average yards per play,

4.7 in 2016

4.6 in 2017

Let's see folks, our Defense improved by 0.1 yards per play over 2016. Wow what an improvement!! Last time I did my Math, 4.6 yards/Play x 3 downs= 13.8 Yards per every 3 downs, which means basically that on an average basis, our Defense never got off the field. These stats for a Defense suck folks!

Please stop posting

You want me to stop posting because we disagree? Isn't the goal of these posts to brainstorm for none of us has all of the answers, but at the end we want our team to do well?.. Isn't the goal of Defense to give up as few yards as possible and improve their Defense year over year? If you are please with our Defense and defensive stats, they we are watching different ball games bro. No way in **** that we will win championships playing defense the way we have been. Defense wins championships, not offenses.

It's not a disagreement. You started a thread about stats and you multiplied 4.6 yards per play times 3 plays to show that you don't understand that metric.

Average yards per play,

4.7 in 2016

4.6 in 2017

Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Posting "statistics" without including the incalculable variables is ridiculous and for those who buy into this nonsense know that you have been sent on a fools errand.

Average yards per play,

4.7 in 2016

4.6 in 2017

Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Posting "statistics" without including the incalculable variables is ridiculous and for those who buy into this nonsense know that you have been sent on a fools errand.

All the best defenses in the country are in the top 10-15 of this statistic.

Dismissing stats is silly.

Of course if the wrong people are using the wrong statistics then that's another thing.

But this one is ironclad.

Advertisement
Ok I understand now. Our hole Offense sucks, our Defense is the best we've ever had and Manny Diaz is the best DC in NCFB. Now let's fix our Offense and we should win championships!!

That's what most of you want me to say right? Most of our fans are really the most blind *** fans in the history of College football. You feel that everything is great and you don't want to hear otherwise. Did you all watch the Clemson game? Our Defense, which is what we are talking about, totally sucked. If Clemson's Offense had not throttled back in the fourth quarter, the score would have been around 58-0 folks. Wake up and see reality!

Average yards per play,

4.7 in 2016

4.6 in 2017

No, they don't, on the contrary. Miami was #9 in 2016 and #13 in 2017.

Average yards per play,

4.7 in 2016

4.6 in 2017

All the best defenses in the country are in the top 10-15 of this statistic.

Dismissing stats is silly.

Of course if the wrong people are using the wrong statistics then that's another thing.

But this one is ironclad.

Ironclad?? Now, that is rich. Seriously, you have no idea as to what you claim to be facts. Once you have included all of the variables then we can have a serious discussion. By the way; in addition to having no variables you have conveniently left out any statistics that don't support your narrative.

Here's a statistic...Miami is 10 & 2 and for the first time in many years they will play in a major bowl.

Decline in consistency of linebacker play for whatever reason and struggling to get off the field in 3rd down. Also new secondary

Advertisement
Total yards is a very misleading stat. Can't really go by that.

You're bound to give up yards when your offense is ranked dead last in 3rd down percentage. That means your defense is on the field all day.

Our defense isn't very good at getting off the field on 3rd down though.
Great at forcing TO's.
Great at producing sacks and TFL's.

Our defense is far from perfect. It isn't always sound. But they get absolutely zero help from the offense.

15th in scoring Defense
10th in INT's
5th in Turnovers
11th in Passing efficiency Defense
1st in Sacks
2nd in Tackles For Loss

Now go check what our Offenses 3rd down % was, go check what their points off Turnovers was, go check how low they ranked in numerous categories.

Nobody is is saying the Defense is perfec or without flaw, they obviously didn't play up to their capabilities this season.

Some of our fans think the Defense is supposed to literally do everything & when they can't do everything they wanna criticize'em for it, that's completely unfair.

This Defense carried this team through most of the season, yet people still wanna make every excuse in the book for why the Offense has struggled over the last 2 years even with 2 different QB's & 5 different RB's (Walton, Homer, Yearby, Gus & Deejay).

This ain't the NFL & we ain't the 2000 Ravens, the Defense shouldn't have to do everything in order for us to win, if the Offense can't be expected to get us at least 3 scores a game then you can't blame the Defense for giving up yards.

Our Offense is basically asked to do the bare minimum & they struggle with that, and people on this board still wanna attack the Defense. You know how many times we forced a TO & put the Offense in great field position & they still couldn't score?!?

When Rosier misses a Deep ball TD, that's the Defenses fault right? When we get stuffed in the run game & have another 3 & out, that's the Defense fault? When we get the ball in the red zone inside the 5yd line & had trouble scoring all year, that's the Defense's fault too?

No, the Defense isn't perfect or elite... But neither is the Offense or Special Teams, yet people seem to be okay with that.

Last edited:
The D carried the team all year and were pretty darn good. However, I did expect a little more out of them this year.

Next year the D should be elite or Manny is not as good as we think he is.

Advertisement
Defensive yards per pass attempt is the pivotal stat, both in the NFL and especially the NCAA, where it always aligns with the premier teams. It also identifies the underrated teams, like Michigan and Florida State right now. Those teams may have lost more games than expected but anyone mocking or denouncing those programs is a fool. They are very close. You can see how Iowa was eligible to trounce Ohio State via the excellent pass defense at 5.9 YPA for tied 7th in the country.

The Canes made big strides toward legitimacy but really fell apart down the stretch. The pass defense dropped from 4th at 5.4 YPA a few weeks ago to 15th at 6.2. That is not going to cut it. It basically parallels where the preseason ratings placed us, and where we would be given a normalized distribution in the tight games, instead of winning all of them. You can't get away with that very long, as the Dolphins have found out recently.

cfbstats.com - 2017 National Team Leaders

When I researched this stat decades ago and noticed that the national champion was almost always within the Top 10 in YPA allowed, I did so using the stats at the end of the bowl games. I did not use the stats with 3 games remaining. When you come up 3 games shy and key stats plummet, you are still a pretender.

Our 1983 team didn't have any trouble carrying it through. They led the nation with a fantastic 4.7 during the regular season and that held up very well in the Orange Bowl, with Nebraska passing 30 times for 172 yards. I believe there was a key play in pass defense during the late stages of that game.

The reason pass defense is such a great stat is that it requires overall aggressiveness and intensity to wipe out and limit those underneath throws. Very seldom will a great pass defense be especially weak in run defense. It does happen quite often in reverse, a top run defense that can't defend the pass well at all.

Last edited:
This is the more telling stat...

Defensive yards per play

2016 - 16th 4.7

2017 - 9th 4.6

Feel free to check this, but I think we played more teams that were **** bent on running lots of plays this year which obviously drives up the total yards/game.

Advertisement
I am not sure how many were at the game but let me give you a firsthand account from the lower bowl. The performance was absolutely pathetic in every phase offense, defense and ST. It was so bad Clemson fans were offering their sympathies to me. Many said they knew watching the Pitt game that our QB was inept. However they had no idea how inept our defense was. Kelly Bryant is no world beater but of course we made him look like Tom Brady on steroids.

Something is wrong with the game plan and why they keep coming out flat like a pancake (VT and ND not withstanding). I didn’t expect them to win but how about try a little? If the score would have been 38-20 fine Clemson is the more talented team.

No excuse for that dumpster performance. Whether it was zone or the QB can’t fire an accurate pass just make a **** play! Any play!

Given an offense that struggled staying on the field and 3rd downs

and then throw in a punter who consistently shanked punts putting you in terrible field positions I thought we played pretty well with our strength being the Dline which to no fault of Diaz got neutered alot because of NO CALLS on holding and his LBs who looked like lost puppy dogs this season

Average yards per play,

4.7 in 2016

4.6 in 2017

Wow. This is a bad post.

Advertisement
Back