UM's Defensive Stats

Here are the stats from the ACC season (2016 v. 2017):

2016 (averages): Defense

Points Allowed: 21.75 (This includes the 7 points on the STs TD against Pitt, the 100 Yard Return) [Actual Points Allowed is 20.875]
Yards Allowed: 397.75
Turnovers: 1.5
Sacks: 2.5
Tackles for Loss: 6.75

2016 (averages): Offense

Points Scored: 29.38 (This includes the 14 points the D scored against GT, 2 Fumble TDs) [Actual Points Scored is 27.625]
Yards Gained: 394.13
Turnovers: .63
Sacks: 2
Tackles for Loss: 5.5

2017 (averages): Defense

Points Allowed: 18.75 (This includes the 7 points on the STs onside kick flop against GT) [Actual Points Allowed is 17.875]
Yards Allowed: 368.25
Turnovers: 2.75
Sacks: 3.75
Tackles for Loss: 8.75

2017 (averages): Offense

Points Scored: 27.125 (This includes the 7 points the D scored against UVA, Johnson Pick 6) [Actual Points Scored is 26.25]
Yards Gained: 392.625
Turnovers: 1.25
Sacks: 2.375
Tackles for Loss: 5.375

What you will see is a defense that improved in EVERY category. This is the reason we're having success this year.

Advertisement
This is the more telling stat...

Defensive yards per play

2016 - 16th 4.7

2017 - 9th 4.6

Exactly.
More yards were gained because more plays were run against us.
Yes, the D didn't get off the field at times, but the offense wasn't as good as last year.

Offense 3rd Down conversions :
2016- 36.3% (99th)
2017- 29.4% (125th)!!

Offensive yards per play/pg ....points per game
2016- 6.4/426....34.3 ppg
2017- 6.2/405....29.5 ppg

Last edited:

Defensive yards per play

2016 - 16th 4.7

2017 - 9th 4.6

Exactly.
Yes, the D didn't get off the field at times, but the offense wasn't as good as last year.

2016- 36.3% (99th)
2017- 29.4% (125th)!!

Again, we get it. The offense isnt good.

Stop using it to excuse the defense. Its not the only problem.

The offence was terrible at ball control so the d was on the field for alot of plays. That hurts the numbers. Plus the punt team was terrible. Field position hurt the d as well.

I think it has been well established that the offense is no good.

Why some people constantly need to deflect the defensive issues back onto the offense is puzzling.

Lol. "2001" is the banned troll "WilforkHOF".

The defensive was dominant this year. The stats bear it out. Third down defense was great outside Toledo and Bethune. Yards per play elite. It just got worn down a little.

Wow just wow.

The defense was dominant? We were atrocious on 3rd down all year. It was a good, above average D.

Advertisement
Look the the difference in the experience of the secondary. A push would have been a victory, defensively - and we improved in many respects. We won't lose all our starters next year. -

I also expected (and was critiqued here) for claiming that coordinators would adjust some to Diaz. That's now run it's course, and I expect improvement across the board next year, as long as the d line stays.

Advertisement
We held Clemson to 4.41 yards per play (75 total plays). Our offense had only 59 plays run for 3.64 yards.

They were on the field for 10 minutes more. They ran the ball 41 times for 77 yards. FFS if the offense had even half the execution that Clemson's offense had, this would've been a close game. If we had a decent offense that can convert 3rd downs and RZ visits, we would've ran the table easily. EASILY.

I love Rosier. He's a Cane. But if he doesn't develop some other QB-necessary traits besides scrambling and throwing the ball, this offense won't take the next step. The same Rosier shows up to camp next year, then this is open season on the QB1 slot.

We held Clemson to 4.41 yards per play (75 total plays). Our offense had only 59 plays run for 3.64 yards.

They were on the field for 10 minutes more. They ran the ball 41 times for 77 yards. FFS if the offense had even half the execution that Clemson's offense had, this would've been a close game. If we had a decent offense that can convert 3rd downs and RZ visits, we would've ran the table easily. EASILY.

I love Rosier. He's a Cane. But if he doesn't develop some other QB-necessary traits besides scrambling and throwing the ball, this offense won't take the next step. The same Rosier shows up to camp next year, then this is open season on the QB1 slot.

More dopey stats which skew it to look like the defense did a good job because they slowed down Clemson after the game was already over.

Give me the stats on the first 3 drives when the game was still in issue. What were the defensive stats in the first half?

What are you folks arguing?

Isn't it pretty clear the D was good and carried the team. However we didn't have an elite defensive unit either. We did give up some yards and points in bunches at times. The defense needs to improve a little more to get to that elite championship level.

Do most folks agree with that?

Advertisement

More dopey stats which skew it to look like the defense did a good job because they slowed down Clemson after the game was already over.

Give me the stats on the first 3 drives when the game was still in issue. What were the defensive stats in the first half?

it's not just that game, it's the previous two as well

there's no gawd **** reason pitt and ***ing uva should be playing with the swagger they did against our defense

it was like they both flat out knew they were gonna win

Defensive yards per play

2016 - 16th 4.7

2017 - 9th 4.6

Exactly.

2016- 36.3% (99th)
2017- 29.4% (125th)!!

Did you get it? Don't think so.
The OP was comparing 2016 ypg to 2017 pyg numbers.
The defense in 2017 was better than the defense in 2016. Period.
Did I like how our defense performed overall this year?
No. We should have been a Top-10 D.

Last edited:

Defensive yards per play

2016 - 16th 4.7

2017 - 9th 4.6

Exactly.

2016- 36.3% (99th)
2017- 29.4% (125th)!!

Did you get it? Don't think so.
The OP was comparing 2016 ypg to 2017 pyg numbers.
The defense in 2017 was better than the defense in 2016. Period.
Did I like how our defense performed overall this year?
No. We should have been a Top-10 D.

Fair enough.

The defense was almost identical in 3rd downs against, PPG, YPG, and yards per play as 2016. Only difference was we got more TOs. Otherwise similar defense.

Advertisement

Isn't it pretty clear the D was good and carried the team. However we didn't have an elite defensive unit either. We did give up some yards and points in bunches at times. The defense needs to improve a little more to get to that elite championship level.

I don't agree with that at all. I don't think the D "carried the team." And I don't think it only needs to "improve a little" to get to the elite championship level.

The D had some great moments this year, but so did the O. I think both were up and down. Fortunately, when one side was down the other seemed to rise up.

How many turnovers did we waste by going 3 and out immediately after. Those were killers to our D this year. Next year if we make them pay with extended drives and points you will see those games going our way more often than not.

the uva qb is a top 5 draft qb.

tell me who else other than the top team in the country we under performed on.

perhaps you dont understand that the defense knew the all season they would have to help malik. they probably got sick of it by pitt.

no excuse for the poor play versus clemson but again our offense went 3 and out multiple times (or pretty close to 3 and out) to start the game.

we were tops or close to it in TO, sacks and TFLs.

put this defense on oklahoma and they'd never lose a game.

This x 100. Our D was young in the LB and Secondary. Our Dline was top 3 in cfb though. Our D played like a top 5 unit half of the time and a top 30 unit the other half of the time. So we were a top 20 unit for the most part. We are better than last year and next year we will be better than this year. No complaints as where we are now and where we were under Dnofrio is night and day. Lots of canes fans just don't understand you get better over time . Not overnight.

Of coarse. People just expect us to be elite in year 2 of the rebuild which is silly. As someone who was on grassy in the late 90's these posts are mirror images of things people said in 99 about our team. And in 2000 we turned the corner . I expect this team to be a top 10 D next season and a top 20 O and our team to be in the playoffs. I expect to win it all in 19 or 20 as well. It is a process . Trust it.

Advertisement
Back