UM-UF GAME WEEKEND - ALL INFO IN ONE LOCATION

OC , I was told by Fl Sports parking was limited and they did not sell to either Canes or Gates. Not sure that is correct but parking was all gone in March when they gave me my one and only parking pass at Gate 10. I just got lucky knowing someone. As for downtown, when I checked all garages well full even the ones for Dr Phillips Center months ago. I still believe this is going to be a cluster F

Florida Citrus Sports is lying about not "selling" parking, maybe they are not selling to the general public, but they sold most of the parking, in bulk, to the Gaytors. Think about this. The stadium holds 60K, they let UM and UF sell 50K and held 10K for Florida Citrus Sports members. If Florida Citrus Sports tries to argue that all of their parking has been given to the 10,000 ticketholders from Florida Citrus Sports, that is a lie.

I am passing along what I was told from someone with knowledge within the UMAA, which is that most of the Florida Citrus Sports people are Gaytors, and the Gaytors AD requested (and got) most of the available parking, while Blake James did not request any. In addition, there is a new person who is the professional VP of the Alumni Association (i.e., the person who has a full-time job working at UM, not the actual volunteer President who is a UM alum), and the new VP is from Arizona State and doesn't have any awareness of how big this game is, so no pre-game tailgate was planned until the last minute, when Florida Citrus Sports caved and let us have Tinker Field.

Since we got the Tinker Field tailgate set up, there was LIMITED parking made available to UM ticketholders, but you had to be Silver Canes level (I think they call it Category 5 now) to get the parking. One of my friends just got a parking pass last week...through UM...in one of the stadium lots.

I've been trying to tell people from the beginning that Blake James is a disaster, especially because his whole background is ticket sales. I heard about the possible date change from a friend on Florida Citrus Sports before tickets went on sale, and I contacted a couple of the moderators here to try to get confirmation before the dates of the ticket sale. Then Blake completely screwed up the ticket sale, with multiple incorrect e-mails, no limits on how many times Golden Canes could purchase additional ticket blocks, and a random re-offering of tickets after certain ticket sales were cancelled. Now I found out that Blake didn't negotiate for any parking spaces, and only belatedly secured Tinker Field for a tailgate.

Finally, as for the overall parking situation, I'm not sure if it is as bad as you think. Yes, the Backstreet Boys concert was announced in November of last year, but everyone didn't immediately purchase parking. In 2017, there was a Jimmy Buffet concert at Amway on the same day that Orlando City Soccer was playing, and everyone managed to find parking.

Several people on this board have been able to buy parking in GEICO, several have purchased Orange Lot (right next to Orlando City Soccer Stadium) and several have purchased in Lot B and surrounding lots (across the street from the Orange Lot). And for the garages near Dr. Phillips, such as City Commons and SunTrust, I do not believe they do pre-sales (maybe City Commons has changed, but SunTrust is not, I just parked there last week for an event).

And I just checked the City of Orlando lots - 55 West has availability (parking garage on Church Street), Central Boulevard Garage has availability, Amelia Street Garage has availability (Bob Carr/old Orlando Arena area to the west of I-4), and the Jefferson Street Parking Garage has availability, in addition to the Orange Lot.

It's still going to be a clusterfvck, but you can thank Blake James for that. The UM Athletic Department and UMAA have completely ignored parking and done nothing to provide any of us with assistance or information. UM could have easily purchased parking in certain parking lots and then resold it to us, but they wanted nothing to do with this part of the process.

Advertisement
We have a Geico garage parking pass - and are either taking shuttle or walking to stadium. Any suggestions on restaurants for pregame drinks and snacks. We were thinking Church Street area?

If you park in GEICO, I would walk back to the main area of Church Street on the other side of I-4. While they are doing construction on I-4, Church Street is frequently used by pedestrians going in either direction. There will be a soccer match on Friday night and a Backstreet Boys concert at Amway on Saturday night, so it is very likely that there will be police out in force both days directing traffic. Currently, the street between Amway and I-4 (Hughey) is shut down to traffic for I-4 construction, and they might be extending the perimeter around Amway for another block on Saturday due to the 2 events (i.e., traffic coming down Hughey would have to turn at Central, and would not be allowed to come down to Church).

So if you come out of GEICO, you will probably come out on South Street, but you probably want to walk up Hughey Avenue for one block until you hit Church Street. Then you can walk under I-4 and go down to the main Church Street area (about 2 city blocks).

On Church Street, I would imagine Harry Buffalo will be very busy, they usually have a DJ setup outside with Angel from 104.1 Real Radio. Lion's Pride is a good spot, it is soccer-themed but very new and nice. I also like Grafitti Junktion and Hamburger Mary's, which are burger bars. A lot of people also head down to Wahlburgers. There has been a change of ownership at Rusty Spoon, not sure if they are changing the name and what the menu will be like, but they have a nice bar. And there are a bunch of places just a couple blocks farther, on Orange Avenue. Chela Tequila & Tacos, Avenue Gastrobar, Orlando PourHouse, and Underground Public House are all worth looking into, see if you like the menu and the vibe.

What time does Geico garage open as it is also being used for concert

Not sure what time GEICO opens and there isn't specific info on the City of Orlando website, so you may need to call. It will definitely be used for the concert, there is a pedestrian bridge that goes straight from the garage into the arena. I would imagine it will open 2, MAYBE 3, hours before the concert.

Is Dyme Lyfe or Out The Huddle doing anything? I love the Alumni stuff but the crowd gets a little older then me range.

OC what I was told that the parking has always been given to the Lanier Parking Company which controls all the parking in Stadium and surrounding areas. That is the company who sent me a letter about bringing in my 15 passenger Van . Came from Senior Vice President. The Florida Sports out sources it. So when I asked in March she told me they had only a few passes and all the rest were gone. They had no control. If you are right then the private company worked directly with the Gators. As I said you could be correct but that is not what they said 5 months ago. Hope all goes well but the Whisky games were a cluster F and they didn’t have that many people.

Advertisement
Not sure what time GEICO opens and there isn't specific info on the City of Orlando website, so you may need to call. It will definitely be used for the concert, there is a pedestrian bridge that goes straight from the garage into the arena. I would imagine it will open 2, MAYBE 3, hours before the concert.
Wow 2 hours before is way too late, I guess that was a waste of $20, was hoping to get down there around 3:00. Time to search for others options.

I know we've had a bunch of different threads in the past, but now that we are in the final week, I thought it would be good to post all of the available information in one location. IF A MODERATOR CAN PIN THIS FOR THE WEEK, I WOULD APPRECIATE IT. I will update this throughout the week if anything changes. If you have any questions this week, send me a PM, I have already responded to several people who are going to the game. Some of you know that I am a VP with the Orlando Alumni Association, so I will mention an event (below) that we are doing that is open to EVERYONE, even if you are not a UM alum.

General Transportation - if you are driving/parking, the stadium is very close to the intersection of I-4 and the East-West Expressway (408). There is a lot of I-4 construction, but the traffic should not be too bad. Because Orlando has a lot of tourism, there should be plenty of Uber/Lyft drivers in the area. There will be a Lynx Bus shuttle running from near-downtown to the stadium. The departure point is on the WEST side of I-4, and will be on S. DIVISION AVENUE, in between W. Central Boulevard and W. Pine Street. This spot is just 2 blocks north of the Amway Arena (Orlando Magic). The drop-off point is on the EAST side of Camping World Stadium, at Lake Lorna Doone Park, on S. NASHVILLE STREET, in between W. Central Boulevard and W. Church Street. PLEASE NOTE, if you have tickets that you purchased from UM, we will be on the WEST SIDE of the stadium, so you will still need to walk a couple of blocks from the shuttle drop-off to your entry gate. There will also be an army of pedi-cabs running along the same route, and there are Lime Bikes as well.

Parking - The main parking within a 2-3 block radius of Camping World Stadium is already taken by Florida Citrus Sports and MOSTLY the UF crowd, UM did NOT negotiate for parking, and UM had to do a last minute deal to get Tinker Field for the "official" 2 hour tailgate. They have sold 1,200 tix, there are only 1,500 slots, just passing along the information. Then, this area around the Stadium will be cordoned off, and you will need a GAME ticket to get access. It's kinda like what we saw in Dallas last year, just without the fancy iron fences. This is the blue collar version.

Beyond the 2-3 block perimeter, to the NORTH and SOUTH and WEST of Camping World Stadium, you will be dealing with a situation similar to the OLD Orange Bowl. There will be lots of cash lots in front yards, apartment complexes, churches, and businesses. There will be plenty of cops and plenty of game day services (meat-on-a-stick), but it has historically been very safe in that area, even if it is not fancy. I have no idea how much the prices will be, so bring cash.

To the EAST of Camping World Stadium, and east of US 441, is where there will be more "traditional" parking lots, particularly downtown and around the Amway Arena and the Orlando City Soccer Stadium. I will post some links below, and I mentioned the Lynx Bus shuttle that will be running (above) in the General Transportation section.

Here is the City of Orlando website, they have both the GEICO garage (which is to the south of, and attached to, the Amway Arena), and a number of other garages and surface lots near downtown. The best one is the "Orange Lot" at 522 West Central, though when you print out your ticket, it usually says 521 West Pine Street. You can get into the lot from either street. This lot is city-owned, and I am not sure that it will allow for grilling/tailgating, but it is right next to the shuttle stop.

Here is the website for several privately-owned parking lots which DO allow grilling and tailgating. I have already spoken to the operator of these lots, and the ones near Central (there are 2 of them) will open at 1 pm (though he told me 11 am over the phone) and you can set up grills and pop-up tents. I have already purchased 3 spots at 521 W. Central Boulevard, this is the largest of the lots. They also have a smaller lot at 530 Grove Park Drive, which is one block north of the 521 W. Central Boulevard lot. Both of these lots are a block away from the Lynx Bus shuttle stop. They are also selling 777 W. Central Boulevard. This is directly north of the Orlando City Stadium. HOWEVER, full disclosure, the city has just torn up Parramore Street right there, so I'm not sure what the access will be. You would also have to walk a few blocks to catch the shuttle. Finally, the 99 N. Garland Avenue lot is on the EAST side of I-4. So you would have to walk a few blocks extra, but that lot is close to Tin & Taco, Planet Pizza, and Gringos Locos, which is a bonus.

FRIDAY NIGHT EVENTS - The Orlando Alumni Association is doing a free "Spirit Night" event at Ace Cafe on the SECOND floor (since the UM Alumni Association **** the bed on planning an event). Ace Cafe is at 100 W. Livingston Street. This is the location where the Orlando Alumni Association will be doing UM Game Watch parties during 2019. Ace Cafe is ENORMOUS, the food is great, the drinks are great, the decor is British motorcycles, and they have both indoor and outdoor bar areas. This event starts at 6:30 pm, and CANESWEAR will have a little pop-up store during the event. ALSO, IF YOU ORDER FROM CANESWEAR THIS WEEK, YOU CAN PICK UP YOUR ORDER AT THE FRIDAY NIGHT EVENT, just be sure to let them know when you check out. If you need more info, contact me or go to the Orlando Canes page on Facebook.

"AllCanes" (now owned by Follett, who also owns the UM campus bookstore) is also doing a Friday night event at Celine on North Magnolia (near Lake Eola). This is a ticketed event.

I JUST REALIZED, ON FRIDAY NIGHT ORLANDO CITY SOCCER WILL BE HOSTING ATLANTA UNITED AT 8 PM, SO SEVERAL OF THE DOWNTOWN BARS WILL HAVE PRE-GAME AND POST-GAME FOR SOCCER, PARTICULARLY AT THE CHURCH STREET AND WALL STREET BARS, AND ALONG ORANGE AVENUE BETWEEN CHURCH AND WALL.

I also think that NJCanetoFla is trying to do an event on Friday night, but it is in Sanford, at The Barn. Larry the Cable Guy used to hang out at The Barn all the time when he lived in Orlando (that's true, I'm not joking), so if you prefer this event over downtown, that's up to you.

SATURDAY EVENTS - As mentioned above, the UM Alumni Association is doing a $50 ticket tailgate event at Tinker Field (just west of Camping World Stadium). They have sold 1,200 tickets, and there are about 300 tickets left.

Canes United is doing their tailgate near Jones High School, south of Camping World Stadium, on the other side of the East-West Expressway. I believe that parking and food are now sold out. I know that parking is, without a doubt.

IF YOU DO NOT HAVE TICKETS, Ace Cafe is going to be doing a big watch party, with a huge screen. They have been running ads on Real Radio 104.1, so if anyone without tickets needs a place to go, this is the best spot.

SUNDAY EVENTS - Lots of great brunches around, Santiago's Bodega, Se7en Bites, BriarPatch (Park Avenue), East End Market, White Wolf, The Glass Knife, Maxine's on Shine, The Hammered Lamb, The Porch, The Boheme, SoCo Thornton Park, Stubborn Mule, Underground Public House, Avenue Gastrobar, Dexters, Ace Cafe (particularly if you slept there), Hamburger Mary's (particularly if your log-in name is NY State of Mind)

Hope that helps, PM me if you have any questions.
Has anybody been to Ace Cafe? We're tailgating but don't have tickets to the game. I would rather go to a place with mostly Canes fans so if anybody has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated

Florida Citrus Sports is lying about not "selling" parking, maybe they are not selling to the general public, but they sold most of the parking, in bulk, to the Gaytors. Think about this. The stadium holds 60K, they let UM and UF sell 50K and held 10K for Florida Citrus Sports members. If Florida Citrus Sports tries to argue that all of their parking has been given to the 10,000 ticketholders from Florida Citrus Sports, that is a lie.

I am passing along what I was told from someone with knowledge within the UMAA, which is that most of the Florida Citrus Sports people are Gaytors, and the Gaytors AD requested (and got) most of the available parking, while Blake James did not request any. In addition, there is a new person who is the professional VP of the Alumni Association (i.e., the person who has a full-time job working at UM, not the actual volunteer President who is a UM alum), and the new VP is from Arizona State and doesn't have any awareness of how big this game is, so no pre-game tailgate was planned until the last minute, when Florida Citrus Sports caved and let us have Tinker Field.

Since we got the Tinker Field tailgate set up, there was LIMITED parking made available to UM ticketholders, but you had to be Silver Canes level (I think they call it Category 5 now) to get the parking. One of my friends just got a parking pass last week...through UM...in one of the stadium lots.

I've been trying to tell people from the beginning that Blake James is a disaster, especially because his whole background is ticket sales. I heard about the possible date change from a friend on Florida Citrus Sports before tickets went on sale, and I contacted a couple of the moderators here to try to get confirmation before the dates of the ticket sale. Then Blake completely screwed up the ticket sale, with multiple incorrect e-mails, no limits on how many times Golden Canes could purchase additional ticket blocks, and a random re-offering of tickets after certain ticket sales were cancelled. Now I found out that Blake didn't negotiate for any parking spaces, and only belatedly secured Tinker Field for a tailgate.

Finally, as for the overall parking situation, I'm not sure if it is as bad as you think. Yes, the Backstreet Boys concert was announced in November of last year, but everyone didn't immediately purchase parking. In 2017, there was a Jimmy Buffet concert at Amway on the same day that Orlando City Soccer was playing, and everyone managed to find parking.

Several people on this board have been able to buy parking in GEICO, several have purchased Orange Lot (right next to Orlando City Soccer Stadium) and several have purchased in Lot B and surrounding lots (across the street from the Orange Lot). And for the garages near Dr. Phillips, such as City Commons and SunTrust, I do not believe they do pre-sales (maybe City Commons has changed, but SunTrust is not, I just parked there last week for an event).

And I just checked the City of Orlando lots - 55 West has availability (parking garage on Church Street), Central Boulevard Garage has availability, Amelia Street Garage has availability (Bob Carr/old Orlando Arena area to the west of I-4), and the Jefferson Street Parking Garage has availability, in addition to the Orange Lot.

It's still going to be a clusterfvck, but you can thank Blake James for that. The UM Athletic Department and UMAA have completely ignored parking and done nothing to provide any of us with assistance or information. UM could have easily purchased parking in certain parking lots and then resold it to us, but they wanted nothing to do with this part of the process.

OC, of the available lots for pre purchase, which would you say is best at this point? Orange isn’t available. Looking to purchase and possibly walk around downtown.

Advertisement
Has anybody been to Ace Cafe? We're tailgating but don't have tickets to the game. I would rather go to a place with mostly Canes fans so if anybody has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated
I love Ace Cafe. Great food and service. I usually go to their car show events that they host. I have never watched a Canes game or any other sporting event there so I am not sure what to expect for that.

I'm thinking of going myself but can't seem to find anyone free that night to tag along with me.

I love Ace Cafe. Great food and service. I usually go to their car show events that they host. I have never watched a Canes game or any other sporting event there so I am not sure what to expect for that.

I'm thinking of going myself but can't seem to find anyone free that night to tag along with me.
That's actually what I was curious about. On their schedule online it says they're having a Mopar car show, but apparently they've been advertising a watch party for the game on the radio. I may just say **** it and show up anyway since I'ma muscle car guy

That's actually what I was curious about. On their schedule online it says they're having a Mopar car show, but apparently they've been advertising a watch party for the game on the radio. I may just say **** it and show up anyway since I'ma muscle car guy
It's a huge place so they can host both. Parking is going to be the issue. They usually block the parking lot for the car show so trying to find an open garage with all the events happening this weekend will be a pain.

I'm planning on hitting up downtown early in the day and then heading over to the stadium. What's my likely best/less problematic way of getting there? Uber, or the shuttle?

Advertisement
Is Dyme Lyfe or Out The Huddle doing anything? I love the Alumni stuff but the crowd gets a little older then me range.

Haven't seen anything from DL/OTH, except for the Gator BBQ in Miami that was just held this past weekend.

I'm an alum, and I tend to agree with you on the "official" UMAA stuff, but the Ace Cafe event on Friday night is free and open to all Canes fans, not just Alums.

On Saturday, I am tailgating with family and friends at one of the Orlando City Soccer lots, then taking the Lynx Bus over to the game.

It's a huge place so they can host both. Parking is going to be the issue. They usually block the parking lot for the car show so trying to find an open garage with all the events happening this weekend will be a pain.
Thanks for the info. I'll end up taking an Uber there so parking won't be an issue. Unless something better comes up, sounds like my plan for the game

OC what I was told that the parking has always been given to the Lanier Parking Company which controls all the parking in Stadium and surrounding areas. That is the company who sent me a letter about bringing in my 15 passenger Van . Came from Senior Vice President. The Florida Sports out sources it. So when I asked in March she told me they had only a few passes and all the rest were gone. They had no control. If you are right then the private company worked directly with the Gators. As I said you could be correct but that is not what they said 5 months ago. Hope all goes well but the Whisky games were a cluster F and they didn’t have that many people.

I agree with you, Florida Citrus Sports "outsources" to Lanier, but those are all buddy-buddy deals anyhow. From what I was told by someone with very good connections, the UF AD knew enough to negotiate to get most of the parking from Lanier, because Florida Citrus Sports/Lanier are dominated by Gaytors and Gaytor fans. Blake James idiotically thought that this was gonna be JUST LIKE the Dallas game, and didn't bother to negotiate for any parking.

I got e-mails that offered me tickets/parking to the game through FCS. When I called, I was told that FCS had so few tickets/parking spots, that it was going to take a crazy amount of money to be guaranteed seats that were no better than what I could get through UM. And while I don't like to admit this, I am also a UF alum (it's a graduate degree) in addition to being a UM alum, so I get all the ticket information through UF too. I guaran-*******-tee you that many UF ticketholders were given a chance to buy parking. Go on their boards, a bunch of them are talking about where they are parking, and very few of them are doing what we are doing (i.e., figuring out where to tailgate a mile away from the stadium).

What ****es me off about this all is that UM has done so little for what SHOULD BE a slam-dunk event, just 4 hours up the road from UM. Each local alumni association is expected to do certain events, like community service (the Orlando AA is working with the Special Olympics on October 20th). For all of 2019, we have been trying to get UM to work with us for this game. I was the person who identified Ace Cafe (even before we decided to do Game Watch parties there), several of us went to Ace to check out the venue and menu, and then we got radio silence from UM. And for the Saturday event, THERE WOULDN'T BE ONE if a certain person (not me) hadn't e-mailed the right people and shamed them into doing an event.

So, yeah, all of this---tickets, parking, events---has been a frustrating experience, which is why I'm trying to let everyone know via the board, since UM isn't doing ****e.

Advertisement

Ace Cafe is a great venue. They are advertising a huge gamewatch event for Saturday, so it is probably going to be a great spot to watch the game. I'm just not sure if it will be "mostly" Canes fans.

OC, of the available lots for pre purchase, which would you say is best at this point? Orange isn’t available. Looking to purchase and possibly walk around downtown.

OK, so I say this with "peace and love" (Stern fans will get the reference)...

I do NOT know for certain when each of the City of Orlando lots will let you start parking. If you want to wander around downtown, then I PERSONALLY like the 55 West parking garage, as it has an elevator that puts you right on Church Street.

If you want to GUARANTEE that you can park earlier, then the Orlando City lots (the ones owned by The Parking Operator) are going to open by 1 pm. I have purchased spots in the Central Boulevard lot, but there are two other lots nearby (one within 100 feet, the other closer to the Orlando City stadium). These lots are very close to the shuttle, but may not have many amenities (port-a-lets or food), you may have to walk a couple of blocks to Church Street.

They just added a FIFTH lot at 19 N. Westmoreland Drive. This lot is even a bit farther west from the one by Advanced Auto Parts (the one that is right by the OCSC stadium).

OK, so I say this with "peace and love" (Stern fans will get the reference)...

I do NOT know for certain when each of the City of Orlando lots will let you start parking. If you want to wander around downtown, then I PERSONALLY like the 55 West parking garage, as it has an elevator that puts you right on Church Street.

If you want to GUARANTEE that you can park earlier, then the Orlando City lots (the ones owned by The Parking Operator) are going to open by 1 pm. I have purchased spots in the Central Boulevard lot, but there are two other lots nearby (one within 100 feet, the other closer to the Orlando City stadium). These lots are very close to the shuttle, but may not have many amenities (port-a-lets or food), you may have to walk a couple of blocks to Church Street.

They just added a FIFTH lot at 19 N. Westmoreland Drive. This lot is even a bit farther west from the one by Advanced Auto Parts (the one that is right by the OCSC stadium).

My plan was to arrive around 2, and be in downtown and maybe slowly mozy over to camping world.

Is the new lot on 19N closer to Campung World than the Orlando city lots?

My plan was to arrive around 2, and be in downtown and maybe slowly mozy over to camping world.

Is the new lot on 19N closer to Campung World than the Orlando city lots?

OK, so here is what I've got, going from west (closest to the stadium) to east (closest to downtown).

19 N. Westmoreland is CLOSEST to the football stadium, out of the 5 "The Parking Operator" lots. In fact, if you park here, you are already halfway to the football stadium (from where the shuttle picks up), so if you walk down to Central Boulevard, you are probably 0.4 miles from Lake Lorna Doone Park, where the shuttles will drop off). So I would NOT walk back to Division Avenue to take the shuttle if you park in this lot. Also, if you are planning to just park in one spot, this is the farthest from downtown. If you plan to park near downtown, and then park closer to the game, you will be fine.

777 W. Central is SECOND-CLOSEST to the football stadium. From looking at the map...it is close enough to the Westmoreland lot to walk. However, you could also walk to the shuttle stop at Division.

521 W. Central AND 530 Grove Park Drive are within a block or two of the shuttle stop at Division.

99 N. Garland is on the EAST side of I-4, near Tin & Taco. If you park here, it's about 4 blocks to the shuttle stop at Division.

Advertisement
Back