2023 UM trying to lure 5 star WR Jurrion ****ey Offered, Palo Alto, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't thrilled with the hire, but thought he could put something together in the long run, even if it isn't national championships. I thought his and our limits were 9 and 10 win seasons with a better run every four years or so. That's just today's landscape in the NIL Era.

Still, I don't think anyone saw how much we'd be on the struggle bus offensively. I think anyone's reservations have been surpassed. They sure as heck didn't see the Southern Miss struggle or the MTSU loss. Talk about a buzz kill for recruiting.
For whatever reason, Miami is a different challenge than anywhere else. You can’t put a product on the field like we’ve seen and expect to get it done on the trail. Mario has his work cut out for him. And most of that is his fault.

Advertisement
Sometimes @cway313 can get a little carried away IMO but he is dead on for this one.

With regard to Jean, I agree. The rumor is Jean got one of the first big boy bags dropped by the FU collective for a verbal because FU needed a recruiting win. If Jean actually signs with them in December, I'll re-evaluate then. That's not to say I expect him to sign here, mind you, it's just that I don't expect him to sign with FU either.

Its more than just the system

LSU's passing offense is garbage, Kelly's system have never been WR friendly and they've got 2 five star WRs

UF's scheme is worse than ours for WRs right now, and yet they are beating us for a local kid we want

Jimbo is running a scheme from 2009, refuses to adapt and they signed the two best WRs in the entire Southeast last cycle.

Meanwhile we can't sign a top 20 WR at the position for 4 years straight
law and order crazy shit GIF

Advertisement
“Scheme” is just the latest excuse

It works because it’s plausible just like the ones we’ve been told in the past why kids opt to go elsewhere

It’s a long list

Regardless of the specific reason for each kid, one thing is for sure……Miami has made it easy for other schools to negatively recruit against Miami. Be it scheme, coaches, development, investment in the program and/or facilities, crowd/game day experience, on field results, rumors about culture, etc…….there has always been something for other coaches to point at and say look, you don’t want to go there. Mario needs to address those things one by one to win recruits back. The MTSU debacle made that task a very difficult one. We’re going to see just how good he is on the trail this year.

Regardless of the specific reason for each kid, one thing is for sure……Miami has made it easy for other schools to negatively recruit against Miami. Be it scheme, coaches, development, investment in the program and/or facilities, crowd/game day experience, on field results, rumors about culture, etc…….there has always been something for other coaches to point at and say look, you don’t want to go there. Mario needs to address those things one by one to win recruits back. The MTSU debacle made that task a very difficult one. We’re going to see just how good he is on the trail this year.
This ^

It’s never just one thing but it’s just not cool to go to Miami anymore

Advertisement
20 years of mediocrity will do that to you. If we aren't overpaying we will miss out on high end talent. We don't have the pedigree, or results to convince kids UM is in their best interest. Need bags.
Absolutely

And these days it’s just different with negative recruiting

These kids live on social media and it’s just a bombardment of negativity about us

“Trends” are more powerful than ever

I saw a verified twitter account maybe a national writer actually tweet something along the lines of "If you are a top QB recruit, why would you ever go play for Mario Cristobal".

If that tells you what Miami has to deal with.

Do you see anyone tweet that about Texas A&M? What about Georgia when they botched the Justin Fields situation?

Alabama when Nick Saban signed QBs to hand it off? Nah just Mario because he had a QB at Oregon "he ruined" that is in the career PAC 12 passing record books, got picked as the 6th overall pick in ten draft, and won a Rose Bowl.

Advertisement
I saw a verified twitter account maybe a national writer actually tweet something along the lines of "If you are a top QB recruit, why would you ever go play for Mario Cristobal".

Do you see anyone tweet that about Texas A&M? What about Georgia when they botched the Justin Fields situation?

Alabama when Nick Saban signed QBs to hand it off? Nah just Mario because he had a QB at Oregon "he ruined" that is in the career PAC 12 passing record books, got picked as the 6th overall pick in ten draft, and won a Rose Bowl.
It’s the fear of Mario being able to get Miami rolling. Whether he can or not can be debated but the fear is real.

Saban's QB's do alot more than hand it off. Not since Mccarron and them has that been the Saban way. Tua, Hurts, and now Young all throw the ball plenty. Herbet did good things with Mario but I think many know that Herbert could have been even more prolific under a different offense.

Fields thing gets swept cuz UGA won a chip. Mario hasn't.

A&M gets plenty off national heat for the crappy offense.

Think you're reaching a bit

Saban's QB's do alot more than hand it off. Not since Mccarron and them has that been the Saban way. Tua, Hurts, and now Young all throw the ball plenty. Herbet did good things with Mario but I think many know that Herbert could have been even more prolific under a different offense.

That's what he's stating. "Alabama when Nick Saban signed QBs to hand it off" as in back when Bama was purely focused on a dominant run game prior to Hurts' tenure.

Advertisement

That was accurate between 2007-2012 during Saban's tenure, but he adjusted to the times, can Mario do the same ?

Its more than just the system

LSU's passing offense is garbage, Kelly's system have never been WR friendly and they've got 2 five star WRs

UF's scheme is worse than ours for WRs right now, and yet they are beating us for a local kid we want

Jimbo is running a scheme from 2009, refuses to adapt and they signed the two best WRs in the entire Southeast last cycle.

Meanwhile we can't sign a top 20 WR at the position for 4 years straight

Don't forget FSU.

Not surprising. We get negatively recruited against more than anyone. Jimbo is a great example - his offense is brutal and antiquated and yet they are landing 4-5 star WRs. I'm ok in missing out on a bunch as long as we land an elite guy once in a while but man, we can't even get that. Not only that, we lose out on big time kids at a position of need...in our own backyard! I would have thought NIL would help us in this case but even that doesn't even seem to move the meter with these kids which means one of two things (or both) - bags are still a major deciding factor and the prospect of playing for Mario is really damaging to your pro potential.

Don't forget FSU.

Not surprising. We get negatively recruited against more than anyone. Jimbo is a great example - his offense is brutal and antiquated and yet they are landing 4-5 star WRs. I'm ok in missing out on a bunch as long as we land an elite guy once in a while but man, we can't even get that. Not only that, we lose out on big time kids at a position of need...in our own backyard! I would have thought NIL would help us in this case but even that doesn't even seem to move the meter with these kids which means one of two things (or both) - bags are still a major deciding factor and the prospect of playing for Mario is really damaging to your pro potential.

It's an easy solution- for a couple years, the UM NIL collective is going to have suck it up and pay well over market value for the top skill position players. If the offense gets back to top 25 (you know, like it was for 2 yrs in a row when Lashlee had an unimpressive group of WRs), then the recruits may see that playing for Mario won't kill their draft prospects and the NIL $$$ won't have to be as high going forward. Unfortunately Cristobal has put himself in this position with the garbage offense , only NIL is going to get him out of it.

That was accurate between 2007-2012 during Saban's tenure, but he adjusted to the times, can Mario do the same ?

Even during those years he still won 2 chamoionships, played for 3.

Excluding his first year, he only lost 7 games combined for all of those years.

Man, if only we had their problems from back then. ****, anyone would love those kinds of problems.

In reality, Mario hasn't even sniffed that rarified air. They did adapt though and became an even more dangerous team. I'm just laughing because the dude above tried calling them out about those early years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back