UM student newspaper adds to pressure on Golden

Advertisement

I stopped reading that garbage after the first 2 sentences when I thought about the coach at Ohio State.

"Despite the controversy, Al Golden still has a winning record with Miami. He is 28-22." I can't believe this girl actually put this in her article to attempt to enhance her argument. Wow.

"Lest we forget, there were two years of bowl bans and scholarships that were taken away with the NCAA investigation." The ncaa didn't take any scholarships away and the only self imposed scholarships we had were when golden misevaluated a kid and he either got kicked off or we told him to find a new school.

"Fans took to Twitter to discuss how Miami men’s basketball Coach Jim Larrañaga has done more with less. It’s a shame fans need reminding that basketball is a completely different sport with its own set of obstacles. There are fewer recruits, and teams can bounce back more easily."

"The prevailing sentiment among fans is the desire to have The U’s glory days of the ‘80s back. The ‘80s are over and they aren’t coming back. Football has changed. Not everyone can have a dynasty, and building one takes time." Typical strawman. I think more fans are concerned with going 6-7 while having 7 players go in the top 4 rounds draft yet.

"At the end of the day, Al Golden still has his job and the university makes the decisions. Not the fans. Not the talking heads on ESPN. People will complain, but that’s all they can do.":roll-canes2:

This student body is so out of touch with Miami Hurricanes football.

There have been a lot of bad articles about the state of the program, and im suprised to say this but this is the worst article on the state of Miami Hurricanes football I've ever read in my life.

Last edited by a moderator:

I stopped reading that garbage after the first 2 sentences when I thought about the coach at Ohio State.

"Despite the controversy, Al Golden still has a winning record with Miami. He is 28-22." I can't believe this girl actually put this in her article to attempt to enhance her argument. Wow.

"Lest we forget, there were two years of bowl bans and scholarships that were taken away with the NCAA investigation." The ncaa didn't take any scholarships away and the only self imposed scholarships we had were when golden misevaluated a kid and he either got kicked off or we told him to find a new school.

"Fans took to Twitter to discuss how Miami men’s basketball Coach Jim Larrañaga has done more with less. It’s a shame fans need reminding that basketball is a completely different sport with its own set of obstacles. There are fewer recruits, and teams can bounce back more easily."

"The prevailing sentiment among fans is the desire to have The U’s glory days of the ‘80s back. The ‘80s are over and they aren’t coming back. Football has changed. Not everyone can have a dynasty, and building one takes time." Typical strawman. I think more fans are concerned with going 6-7 while having 7 players go in the top 4 rounds draft yet.

"At the end of the day, Al Golden still has his job and the university makes the decisions. Not the fans. Not the talking heads on ESPN. People will complain, but that’s all they can do.":roll-canes2:

There have been a lot of bad articles about the state of the program, and im suprised to say this but this is the worst article on the state of Miami Hurricanes football I've ever read in my life.

I wouldn't completely throw the student body down the hole because of the student newspaper. Here is most of the staff's bios

http://www.themiamihurricane.com/staff/

AJ Ricketts isn't listed, but with the exception of the EiC, the Miami Hurricane staff is dominated by females. Are there females who are take no prisoners sports nuts? Sure, one of the past EiCs, Christinia DeNicola, now writes for Fox Sports. Culturally speaking, however, most females are casual fans and usually watch to be part of the scene where men are watching/attending (Super Bowl party, tailgating). This is how you get pieces like Courtney's, a female who probably has a passing interest in sports, and who's ego dooms her think she can write about coaching with no real experience. This is why I commented on her story with a reference to the women's soccer coach being canned after two years by Blake with a winning record. At least AJ Ricketts tried to respond with a lame "your argument is silly" approach which got him some more schooling; nothing from Miss Courtney. More CIS posters should comment on their articles; they are in a bubble over there and we should help prepare them for THE REAL WORLD, by bursting it some.

I think the observed apathy on Campus will change when a new president is named. Like it or not, DS is liked by the majority of the students. Once she is gone, I think a vocal group of students will express to the new president their frustration at the AD and HC eating up a ton of money and not producing.

I wouldn't completely throw the student body down the hole because of the student newspaper. Here is most of the staff's bios

AJ Ricketts isn't listed, but with the exception of the EiC, the Miami Hurricane staff is dominated by females. Are there females who are take no prisoners sports nuts? Sure, one of the past EiCs, Christinia DeNicola, now writes for Fox Sports. Culturally speaking, however, most females are casual fans and usually watch to be part of the scene where men are watching/attending (Super Bowl party, tailgating). This is how you get pieces like Courtney's, a female who probably has a passing interest in sports, and who's ego dooms her think she can write about coaching with no real experience. This is why I commented on her story with a reference to the women's soccer coach being canned after two years by Blake with a winning record. At least AJ Ricketts tried to respond with a lame "your argument is silly" approach which got him some more schooling; nothing from Miss Courtney. More CIS posters should comment on their articles; they are in a bubble over there and we should help prepare them for THE REAL WORLD, by bursting it some.

I think the observed apathy on Campus will change when a new president is named. Like it or not, DS is liked by the majority of the students. Once she is gone, I think a vocal group of students will express to the new president their frustration at the AD and HC eating up a ton of money and not producing.

I attend UM and I have come into contact with plenty of students (guys and girls) who either fall into this line of thinking or have no sense of the tradition at UM.

The only thing that can change the student's body mindset about the former standard of UM football would be to consistently start winning 10-11 games a year again and be very competitive & aggressive on down years. And I completely disagree on the bolded. Students do not show any passion for the football team. The only ones who understand the culture of UM football grew up in South Florida watching UM such as Willie, MG2TH, TedH, Canespimp, Pete and myself. We obviously aren't alone but it is a small minority.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
I like the picture of Shalala holding a big *** head of shalala sign at the sign where "signs are banned for safety and blah blah".

If there's really a picture of Shalala holding up a sign at the BUC it needs to be posted here and then sent to everyone who did an article on UM snatching Willy's signs and then claiming there was a no sign policy at the BUC. We need to embarrass the fck out of these lying jackbooted thugs.

We need to send that dopey bytch Courtney to spend a month with Jennifer Urs. Give her a crash course bootcamp on how to **** the fck up and not be an embarrassment to other broads who follow sports.

I sent Courtney's article to Rachel Nichols, and Rachel became so despondent that she slowly choked herself to death by sticking a tampon in her throat and drinking a glass of water.

I attend UM and I have come into contact with plenty of students (guys and girls) who either fall into this line of thinking or have no sense of the tradition at UM.

The only thing that can change the student's body mindset about the former standard of UM football would be to consistently start winning 10-11 games a year again and be very competitive & aggressive on down years. And I completely disagree on the bolded. Students do not show any passion for the football team. The only ones who understand the culture of UM football grew up in South Florida watching UM such as Willie, MG2TH, TedH, Canespimp, Pete and myself. We obviously aren't alone but it is a small minority.

Respect your point from the vantage of being on-campus, but I believe the opportunity to influence a new president will not be ignored by a group of students. I didn't say it would be a large group, but I still believe your small core could be the start of a bigger movement. The administration tried to stop Willy's relatively small but noble gesture and now there are even more articles being written about it:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article8035626.html

All it takes is getting to the new President's ear. IF it is the Admiral, my military experience tells me the students need to put the Bottom Line Up Fron (BLUF) and explain in a short and concise way how Blake and Golden are destroying Miami football. Flag officer do like to shake things up when they assume command and come in looking to see what is broke...Be ready.

Respect your point from the vantage of being on-campus, but I believe the opportunity to influence a new president will not be ignored by a group of students. I didn't say it would be a large group, but I still believe your small core could be the start of a bigger movement. The administration tried to stop Willy's relatively small but noble gesture and now there are even more articles being written about it:

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article8035626.html

All it takes is getting to the new President's ear. IF it is the Admiral, my military experience tells me the students need to put the Bottom Line Up Fron (BLUF) and explain in a short and concise way how Blake and Golden are destroying Miami football. Flag officer do like to shake things up when they assume command and come in looking to see what is broke...Be ready.

I did that interview the night of the NC State game before going in. Didn't want to tip my hand in terms of what I have in mind for other games...

Advertisement
Have to disagree with Tad Footeball on Erika. Having been a student journalist way back, I know the typical young person has to fight the tremendous peer pressure to go along to get along. She got a cover out of it too, which is probably even more valuable in this visual world.

Yeah, had to skewer coaching expert Courtney; All the reasoning why Blake James' shouldn't fire Golden goes out the window when it is brought up that James fired the Women's Soccer Coach in 2013. Yeah, Yeah, no buy out there, but Fiorini doesn't mention the buy out (Elephant in the room), so the comparision is fair game.

Glad to see UMiami will be known for providing the next generation of Jen Psakis and Maria Harfs:canes2:

The Psaki and Harf reference is so spot on that it's nauseating.

Why would you give them the free clicks?

I guess in all fairness the comments are worth reading.

Great stuff there guys! lmao

"DK72 on JANUARY 24, 2015 2:43 PM
Back in the kitchen sweet toots. Hopefully you know more about sandwich construction than you
do about football.
This whole piece read like something Laz would mash out on his Smith-Corona. Ham fisted
and full of straw man arguments.
Bless your heart."

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A counter argument is apparently coming for Courtney by Erika with Willie's interview in there. This isn't over and is really gaining steam where the pro-Golden/Admin people would prefer to bow out of the continued argument.

One trend I have noticed on campus is that the student body is aware of all this noise and vitriol towards Golden but they didn't understand why because they don't know about the program's tradition with a large group of them being from the Northeast and liking Golden personally. A contingency has started to do their own research into the program and Golden-Admin issues.

For what it is worth, the opinion of the faculty is overwhelmingly against Golden. I say faculty, not admin.

Last edited:
Advertisement
A counter argument is apparently coming for Courtney by Erika with Willie's interview in there. This isn't over and is really gaining steam where the pro-Golden/Admin people would prefer to bow out of the continued argument.

One trend I have noticed on campus is that the student body is aware of all this noise and vitriol towards Golden but they didn't Understand why because they don't about the program's tradition with the a large group of them being from the Northeast and liking Golden personally. A contingency has started to do their own research into the program and Golden-Admin issues.

For what it is worth, the opinion of the faculty is overwhelmingly against Golden. I say faculty, not admin.

Good, good. (In my russian voice)

One trend I have noticed on campus is that the student body is aware of all this noise and vitriol towards Golden but they didn't Understand why because they don't about the program's tradition with the a large group of them being from the Northeast and liking Golden personally. A contingency has started to do their own research into the program and Golden-Admin issues.

A HUGE part of the problem. When I was in school (and being from the northeast) a large part of the reason my geographical brethren even considered or knew about UM was because of the exploits of the football team. Foote had transformed the academic reputation of the school by then but the initial draw that opened the door to us actually enrolling when people still assumed that you had a good chance of being killed in Miami was us watching and falling in love with the team as kids in the 80's and 90's.

A HUGE part of the problem. When I was in school (and being from the northeast) a large part of the reason my geographical brethren even considered or knew about UM was because of the exploits of the football team. Foote had transformed the academic reputation of the school by then but the initial draw that opened the door to us actually enrolling when people still assumed that you had a good chance of being killed in Miami was us watching and falling in love with the team as kids in the 80's and 90's.

Another by-product of government wanting to control whole sectors of a state or country (see Health Care.gov for the country version). In this case, the State of Florida wants to control education from K - PhD and has acted in such a manner since after WWII. From regional campuses (one of which is larger than the flagships - UCF) to low tuitions further subsidized by the working poor through lottery ticket sales (no socialist BS, the demos of lottery ticket buyers give credence to it) it has made a private university's ability to compete for top quality students in the state much more daunting. UMiami has been forced to look out of state (and out of the country) for its student body. What was once a majority population of Florida students with a strong Northeast representation has now become a slight majority out of state/country population with an even bigger Northeast representation blended with Midwesterners and some West Coasters. It's a challenging task, especially if you factor in that many of the states UMiami is recruiting in have popular in-state options and many late Millennials (or as some believe, Gen Z) who are real homebodies who don't even have drivers licenses and are catered and protected to by their parents (Why do you think UCF's Football Game PSA's emphasis it's Orlando location: Orlando = Theme Parks = Safe). In Miami's case, it's similar to a military recruiters job: You have to find adventerous young people whose parents are willing or even motivating them to go off and do something different...With the added difficulty of your prospects needing to have great SAT/ACT/GPA and them and/or their parents paying for it.

I came from the Northeast also; didn't attend UM and was originally drawn to the team because they played pro set like the NFL teams I grew up with as a kid. College Football has increased its exposure in the Northeast, but unlike Southeastern or Midwestern UM students, Northeastern students returning home on breaks won't get nearly the razzing about Miami's performance because many of their peers' schools don't even play D1 football, only D1 Basketball

Hmm...Is this why so many want UM to become a basketball school?

Last edited:
Advertisement

One trend I have noticed on campus is that the student body is aware of all this noise and vitriol towards Golden but they didn't understand why because they don't know about the program's tradition with a large group of them being from the Northeast and liking Golden personally. A contingency has started to do their own research into the program and Golden-Admin issues.

Who the **** goes to the U and doesn't know about the history of the football team?

Who the **** goes to the U and doesn't know about the history of the football team?

I'd wager a large portion of the incoming students in the last 5 or so years have no clue about the history of the football program.

Most of these kids are more interested in snatchchat and video games than actual sports. All the recent studies back this up. They would actually rather watch other people play video games before watching pro sports.

http://news.investors.com/technolog...-study-shows-millennials-big-on-streaming.htm

I'd wager a large portion of the incoming students in the last 5 or so years have no clue about the history of the football program.

Most of these kids are more interested in snatchchat and video games than actual sports. All the recent studies back this up. They would actually rather watch other people play video games before watching pro sports.

http://news.investors.com/technolog...-study-shows-millennials-big-on-streaming.htm

I'm only 23 and I only realized that people do this when South Park made an episode about it this season. I used to play a lot of video games and this makes no sense to me

I appreciate the effort.

Wait, **** that, I don't.

'Fans' didn't put Al Golden on the hot seat. Al Golden put his own incompetent *** on the hot seat.

Advertisement
Back