UM staff pushing for 4-star local DT Lyons

Advertisement
Jess Simpson coached Dline in the NFL. His motto is either you want to play for me or not. He’s not going to waste time and on top of that, Lyons film isn’t impressive.

I’ve heard some people mention Shemar Stewart could grow into a DT in college. Is that true or is he a DE all the way? Manny has moved oversized ends to tackle in the past.

Advertisement
I’ve heard some people mention Shemar Stewart could grow into a DT in college. Is that true or is he a DE all the way? Manny has moved oversized ends to tackle in the past.
Yes, I think most people believe DT is his money position. Same story with Lucas. However, the staff better be telling these guys whatever the F they want to hear and if that's being a defensive end then tell them that. **** look at Rousseau, whose best position was sliding inside but he's still technically an end. In today's game these guys move along the line in certain schemes like ours.

It's possible but I would leave him at end even if he gets to 280ish. That size and athleticism on the edge is too good to pass up.
I was thinking the same thing. With his length and athleticism, looks like he could play DE up to 280. But knowing how manny likes those bigger DEs inside, seems like he’d move inside similar to RJ McIntosh.

Advertisement
Lyons and Tarber is not an A+ haul to anyone but delusional Miami fans. Both are mid that’s why they are ranked mid and will continue to be ranked mid even though they have been playing football for years! I can’t believe we have fans ****ing about 3 star, downtrending, d tackles. Then these are the same fans that cry when we take too many 3 stars. Y’all are sick.

tell us how you really feel lol

And everyone was talking about Spells clearly being part of the top CB group too and losing their minds when he wasn't coming until they realized that Rogers and Graves were certainties and Fegans appears to be next. So everyone decided not to learn a lesson. Very few know anything real on this board, we'll never truly know whats all going on so making a declarations one way or the other aint it
Logical…way too logical for these parts. Mods…please restrict this man until he’s reasonably irrational.

The game has changed, high school recruiting isn’t the foundation for a roster the way it used to be. I have no clue how things are going to play out but for those still losing their minds about the decision of a high school kid that will take 2 years minimum to develop before providing meaningful snaps………….it might be time to evolve with the game.

Lol. What??

High School is and will always be the recruiting foundation. Hence, the teams that get the best high school players yr after yr are the teams that continue to compete for conference championships & CFP spots yr after yr. The portal is just a stop gap; u don’t build ur team w/ portal/transfer players b/c either

A. They are one yr rentals if they are good (See Phillips, Rochè, Osborne, Willis (transfer), Colbert(son).)

B. If A is correct, u have zero continuity which yields fruitless results. (see 2018, 2019, 2020)

C. They could be in the portal/transferred b/c they absolutely suck. (see Martell, Nnoruka, Martin, Brown, Kennedy, Boulware)

U build ur foundation w/ the high school guys, and IF NEED BE, u dip in the portal to sure up any holes. The fact that we’ve been so active in the portal w/ VERY little, F it, NOTHING to show for it is b/c our high school evaluation has absolutely been putrid. Hence, we’re a disjointed program.

Advertisement
Lol. What??

High School is and will always be the recruiting foundation. Hence, the teams that get the best high school players yr after yr are the teams that continue to compete for conference championships & CFP spots yr after yr. The portal is just a stop gap; u don’t build ur team w/ portal/transfer players b/c either

A. They are one yr rentals if they are good (See Phillips, Rochè, Osborne, Willis (transfer), Colbert(son).)

B. If A is correct, u have zero continuity which yields fruitless results. (see 2018, 2019, 2020)

C. They could be in the portal/transferred b/c they absolutely suck. (see Martell, Nnoruka, Martin, Brown, Kennedy, Boulware)

U build ur foundation w/ the high school guys, and IF NEED BE, u dip in the portal to sure up any holes. The fact that we’ve been so active in the portal w/ VERY little, F it, NOTHING to show for it is b/c our high school evaluation has absolutely been putrid. Hence, we’re a disjointed program.
I agree with pretty much all this. I do think this cycle is an outlier though as teams will have to get back under the 85 scholly limit.

Idk where TOC but if anyone knows how our numbers look for the ‘22 roster that would provide a lot of context to this recruiting class.

Then combine the fact we’ve counted forward two guys and we still should reserve ≈3? spots for portal guys (as there will be many), and that leaves us a limited class of high schoolers THIS year.

Overall though I am still very confused by the d-line board, or lack there of.

Technically but Shemar is so athletic that he can get that big and still be an SDE. That’s how special he is. I’ve said continuously that he would be best used as a defensive line weapon to exploit mismatches much like GR15.

Advertisement
If we have a legit shot at Lucas we have to take it. 100% understand that. But how legit is it? Also, we cannot just take one DT. We did things like that during the Shannon and Golden years and ended up staying Corey King and Earl Moore. Gotta do better.

agree. Look at LSU/uga/bama - every year they sign multiple DTs. And not just projects - grown men. We can no longer get away with either none or projects.

agree. Look at LSU/uga/bama - every year they sign multiple DTs. And not just projects - grown men. We can no longer get away with either none or projects.

It’s almost necessary. Conference and playoff contenders all have elite qb play and/or elite DL play, especially on the interior. They sign the great one’s and they develop them by signing more the year after and keeping the competition high. The common denominator is always they sign SEVERAL. I know that I’m not saying anything earth shattering here but my main point is I can’t fathom the idea of anyone thinking our “plan” was to not take any prep DT’s this year lol. That is literally one of the most idiotic things I have ever read anywhere regarding anything. Any team that goes a year without signing a DT might as well not watch their team for 2-3 years to avoid the pain.

We need 3 (sign 5 DL total) and we NEED Lucas. Honestly at this point he might be our most important recruit left considering how bare the cupboard is for DT’s. Yes, we need OL, and LB’s but atleast we have some known realistic options out there (albeit not many) unlike DT.

Lol. What??

The key phrase there is “the way it used to be”. I never said recruiting didn’t matter…..but between the NIL, immediate eligibility transfers (multiple years of eligibility) and inevitable realignment of conferences the game is changing drastically. Where Miami sits currently, transfers have in fact been what has defined the program (without them we’d be a complete disaster). Until Miami gets more consistent on the field, the market the city provides in conjunction with transfer rules will continue to be the best option. Once we do we’ll be better equipped to play the recruiting game consistently with the big boys.

Advertisement
Back