UM sprinter Brandon Taylor giving football a go this spring

Advertisement
I was wondering about Rick's history of doing this and am glad we're giving it a try. On a different note, I'm the farthest thing from the guys that are always counting scholarships but this NCAA rule annoys me. This kid is clearly a track athlete and was recruited as such. At worst let the school decide which scholarship allotment his is drawn from. If some clown SEC program decides to start fielding non-competetive track teams full of football players then deal with them individually for once. Nonetheless, I'm pumped to be kicking the tires on a world class burner.

Miami should never have a Malcolm Lewis or Gus Edwards type returning kicks. Let this cat come in just for that.

We shouldn't have had that this year. Should've had Homer back there or Malek Young. Maybe Richt doesn't want true freshman returning kicks and punts, but we definitely had better options.

Advertisement
So is there a reason why he'd have to switch to a football scholly if he's already on the track team? How did this work out for Santana and Daryll Jones? I'll take that speed and wiggle but due has a bright track future. Take into account Artic and Phillip were track guys too. I'm guessing you get a chance to be Devin Hester II you can take it.

And that's what Miami returners should do to other teams.

We have a long history of having difference makers returning punts and kicks...

He will scare the life out of teams if he is on returns.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Advertisement
So is there a reason why he'd have to switch to a football scholly if he's already on the track team? How did this work out for Santana and Daryll Jones? I'll take that speed and wiggle but due has a bright track future. Take into account Artic and Phillip were track guys too. I'm guessing you get a chance to be Devin Hester II you can take it.

The current NCAA rules would automatically switch it to a football scholarship as soon as he plays a down because football is deemed the higher revenue producing sport at Miami.

The current NCAA rules would automatically switch it to a football scholarship as soon as he plays a down because football is deemed the higher revenue producing sport at Miami.

The rule is designed to prevent teams from stashing football players in other sports.

Advertisement

It's the Butch Davis rule , he was doing this during probation. And it worked .

The ncaa eventually caught on

Advertisement
Understood. You better believe it was the Butch Davis rule. It helped us to get that 5th natty. But I see the reason he's giving it a try. With success he can go to the NFL and make a lifetime more that what he could make as a USA sprinter.

Tell him to get Isaiah Taylor from the track team to come. Faster and was injuried last year.
Isaiah Taylor Bio - University of Miami Hurricanes Official Athletic Site

Faster?
Really?
Also, I can't find any HS highlights on him.
Did you watch him play?

Used to coach him at west broward. Kid was all track then got him to come out for his senior year just to return kicks, punts and go routes. won state in 100m.
Isaiah Taylor - FL Track and Field Profile
Isaiah Taylor - Hudl Only highlight I could fine of him for football but the team sucked his senior year.

Your first concern with a kid that size is --can he hang on to the ball--if no--then nothing else matters ,game over.

Since he has now decided to give football a try ,it may be because he is bigger and stronger to where he now has the confidence to play with the big boys and take the hits that come with that. Maybe he needed another year for his body to mature and he now believes he is ready.

Curious what he weighs now?

Crazy speed !!!

Advertisement
Back