UM offers 2022 LB Devon Jackson

Advertisement
It’s **** near cult like.
I've got to jump in this thread to vent my complete and utter disgust at the state of our LB recruiting. Our atrocious LB recruiting under Diaz has been well documented but there are things that drive me over the edge like the Deshawn Troutman offer for one. Why? Is that really the best we can do? Nothing against the kid personally but why does he have a scholarship? Corey Flagg is another. Don't get me wrong I like Flagg and Im sure he is a great kid but this is UM for crying out loud!!!!! This program has had the following LBs play here.........

Maurice Crum
Bernard Clark
Jay Brophy
George Mira Jr.
Winston Moss
Darrin Smith
Michael Barrow
Jesse Armstead
Ray Lewis
Dan Morgan
Jon Vilma
DJ Williams
Jon Beason
Colin McCarthy
Sean Spence
Denzel Perryman

I'm sure I forgot my share but my point stands. What we are doing at this position is an embarrassment and its disrespectful to every name I listed above. Diaz loves to talk standards. Standard this and standard that. When it comes to our LB recruiting we have no standard. When we hired T.Will I thought we were out of the woods but that lasted about a week and he was back with Malzahn at UCF. Gus Malzahn killed our LB recruiting as soon as he hired T.Will back. Our only hope it would seem is hiring an experienced and respected LB coach next off season. End of rant!

Last edited:
Advertisement
I've got to jump in this thread to vent my complete and utter disgust at the state of our LB recruiting. Our atrocious LB recruiting under Diaz has been well documented but there are things that drive me over the edge like the Deshawn Troutman offer for one. Why? Is that really the best we can do? Nothing against the kid personally but why does he have a scholarship? Corey Flagg is another. Don't get me wrong I like Flagg and Im sure he is a great kid but this is UM for crying out loud!!!!! This program has had the following LBs play here.........

Maurice Crum
Bernard Clark
Jay Brophy
George Mira Jr.
Winston Moss
Darrin Smith
Michael Barrow
Jesse Armstead
Ray Lewis
Dan Morgan
Jon Vilma
DJ Williams
Jon Beason
Colin McCarthy
Sean Spence
Denzel Perryman

I'm sure I forgot my share but my point stands. What we are doing at this position is an embarrassment and its disrespectful to every name I listed above. Diaz loves to talk standards. Standard this and standard that. When it comes to our LB recruiting we have no standard. When we hired T.Will I thought we were out of the woods but that lasted about a week and he was back with Malzahn at UCF. Gus Malzahn killed our LB recruiting as soon as he hired T.Will back. Our only hope it would seem is hiring an experienced and respected LB coach next off season. End of rant!

Bro, it is truly mind boggling. But of course, we’re told to be patient.

Maurice Crum
Bernard Clark
Jay Brophy
George Mira Jr.
Winston Moss
Darrin Smith
Michael Barrow
Jesse Armstead
Ray Lewis
Dan Morgan
Jon Vilma
DJ Williams
Jon Beason
Colin McCarthy
Sean Spence
Denzel Perryman

We literally have 3 new LBs in 2021 plus Medlock for 2022. With James a few Twinkies away from becoming the 5th new LB joining the LB corps. Why freak out about LBs we have much bigger fish to fry along the DL and DB units.

Honestly, I'm not even sure where this kid is gonna go. I'm not sure if he's a take for any one of his top schools right now. His ranking is based purely off potential as he has literally done nothing in high school. He has elite track times for a LB but he is built like a receiver.

We literally have 3 new LBs in 2021 plus Medlock for 2022. With James a few Twinkies away from becoming the 5th new LB joining the LB corps. Why freak out about LBs we have much bigger fish to fry along the DL and DB units.
Your point is a fair one and its well taken. However I wasn't freaking out about the future potential of the LB corps with all of the new guys and the 22 kids as much as I was ripping Diaz for his absolutely horrendous track record of LB recruiting up to this point or his entire body of work if you will. Many of these evals, offers and accepted commitments have been beyond strange or not up to standard. They have been downright bizarre!

In terms of the future potential of this group there are many options and possibilities. I still haven't thrown in the towel on Sam Brooks or Avery Huff. I still think Tirek Austin Cave could develop into a good player as well. Keontra Smith at Will is intriguing and maybe Corey Flagg will prove to be a contributor at Mike even as a backup off the bench. I'm incredibly high on Striker Chase Smith as I believe the he has the potential to be an All ACC level player at Striker or at LB I also agree that James Williams may turn out to be a factor in the the LB room just based on his tremendously eclectic skill set although I'm of the mind that JW would be most valuable to this defense by being a type of utility player who lines up all over the field depending on the opponents strengths etc..... My dark horse in this entire thing is Tyler Johnson. Johnson has an intriguing set of tools, explosion, great motor and he's Jaquan's brother. I see Johnson as being the type that really comes into his own on the college level.

Advertisement
Honestly, I'm not even sure where this kid is gonna go. I'm not sure if he's a take for any one of his top schools right now. His ranking is based purely off potential as he has literally done nothing in high school. He has elite track times for a LB but he is built like a receiver.
I was waiting for someone to say so.

I like him a bit because of those track times an athleticism..plu si have faith in Feeley that he can add legitimate 15+pounds to this type of kid....But his film aint all that aas a possible LB....and he is what i would call a project not a plug n play.

Hes a take for me but i aint losing sleep...i liked Medlocks film a bit better

I like him a bit because of those track times an athleticism..plu si have faith in Feeley that he can add legitimate 15+pounds to this type of kid....But his film aint all that aas a possible LB....and he is what i would call a project not a plug n play.

Maybe Huff’s slow development has them nervous about taking him. Ultimately I’d take him. It’s the coaches job to develop him properly, no sense in passing on him because it may take two off seasons before he contributes.

Advertisement
I wish to God someone would be str8 on how tall he is. I watched 2 Edgewater games last year and thought he jumped off the screen. Kid is an animal. That said, I’ve read where people have said he is only 5’9 and other places I read he is 6’0. I’m w fan tho.
That’s a quirky thing to put on your list of things to ask God for.

Do you like the Medlock pickup? Your opinion is one of the few I trust. Who would you like to see in our LB class?

Advertisement
Your point is a fair one and its well taken. However I wasn't freaking out about the future potential of the LB corps with all of the new guys and the 22 kids as much as I was ripping Diaz for his absolutely horrendous track record of LB recruiting up to this point or his entire body of work if you will. Many of these evals, offers and accepted commitments have been beyond strange or not up to standard. They have been downright bizarre!

In terms of the future potential of this group there are many options and possibilities. I still haven't thrown in the towel on Sam Brooks or Avery Huff. I still think Tirek Austin Cave could develop into a good player as well. Keontra Smith at Will is intriguing and maybe Corey Flagg will prove to be a contributor at Mike even as a backup off the bench. I'm incredibly high on Striker Chase Smith as I believe the he has the potential to be an All ACC level player at Striker or at LB I also agree that James Williams may turn out to be a factor in the the LB room just based on his tremendously eclectic skill set although I'm of the mind that JW would be most valuable to this defense by being a type of utility player who lines up all over the field depending on the opponents strengths etc..... My dark horse in this entire thing is Tyler Johnson. Johnson has an intriguing set of tools, explosion, great motor and he's Jaquan's brother. I see Johnson as being the type that really comes into his own on the college level.

Just want to point out the irony in you “ripping” Manny for his LB recruiting and then immediately following that up by listing 7-8 LB types that you’re feeling at minimum, optimistic about.

Do we need to recruit more talent at the LB position? Of course. But at the moment, that position group is more of an unknown than the disaster everyone makes it out to be IMO. A lot of young dudes who are yet to play or have barely gotten their feet wet. We’ll learn plenty about that room soon enough though.

Carry on.

Just want to point out the irony in you “ripping” Manny for his LB recruiting and then immediately following that up by listing 7-8 LB types that you’re feeling at minimum, optimistic about.

Do we need to recruit more talent at the LB position? Of course. But at the moment, that position group is more of an unknown than the disaster everyone makes it out to be IMO. A lot of young dudes who are yet to play or have barely gotten their feet wet. We’ll learn plenty about that room soon enough though.

Carry on.
The position have also had a vicious injury bug the past few years

Carry on.
His record over the past 5 recruiting classes has been abysmal and it isn't even up for discussion. There is no real irony here as the 7 players that inspire optimism haven't produced a thing yet. If you recall I was also optimistic about many over the years not named Pinckney or Quarterman. I'm optimistic about several players but there are a ton of question marks for what basically amounts to 2 positions Will and Mike. Im optimistic about Smith at Will but he was recruited as a safety. Im trying to be optimistic about Mike but so far nobody I have listed has stepped forward to claim that spot. Also players like Brooks, Cave and Huff need to start making some noise here soon. There have been injuries but development at LB has been questionable at best to this point. I will also add that Diaz's track record recruiting LBs can be called out as garbage while also having a sense of optimism about several players. Those two are not necessarily mutually exclusive. We will know much more very soon.

Do you like the Medlock pickup? Your opinion is one of the few I trust. Who would you like to see in our LB class?
I like the Medlock pick up.

He's a true Inside backer...looks to be a guy that will fill out upward of 230 and actually plays the spot and looked good there.

Guys if i was a coach i would of made priorities:

Advertisement
Back