UM must recruit Florida HS Basketball

King of Allapattah

LET'S GO CANES!!!
Premium
Here are some in-state players from the last 10 years who have had success at the next level after playing high school basketball in Florida, but who didn't sign with Miami coming out of HS. Please note, this list doesn't include some of the 4 & 5 star prospects who haven't found success yet and the countless number of out-of-state prospects who played at the basketball factories (IMG, Montverde, Rock, etc.).

There's no reason why Coach L and staff shouldn't be prioritizing the state of Florida in their recruiting. The proof is in the pudding.

Class of 2011:
Austin Rivers (Duke) ***NBA
Shane Larkin (DePaul) ***NBA
Jonathan Holton (West Va)

Class of 2012:
Erik McCree (Murray St.) ***NBA
Matt Williams (UCF) ***NBA
Stefan Moody (Ole Miss) All-SEC 2x
Joel James (UNC)
Gian Clavell (Colorado St.) ***NBA
Devaughn Purcell (Illinois St.) ***NBA

Class of 2013:
Chris Walker (Florida) ***NBA
Kasey Hill (UNC) ***NBA
Joe Chealey (Charleston) ***NBA

Class of 2014:
Grayson Allen (Duke) ***NBA
Joel Berry (UNC)
Malik Martin (USC)
Zach Johnson (FGCU)

Class of 2015:
Dwayne Bacon (FSU) ***NBA
Antonio Blakeney (LSU) ***NBA
John Collins (Wake Forest) ***NBA
Justin James (Wyoming) ***NBA
Corey Sanders (Rutgers)
Kerry Blackshear, Jr. (Va Tech)
Jonathan Laurent (OK St)

Class of 2016:
Jonathan Isaac (FSU) ***NBA
Tony Bradley (UNC) ***NBA
Trent Forrest (FSU) ***NBA
John Mooney (Notre Dame) 1st All-ACC
LJ Figueroa (Oregon) ***NBA G-League
Juwan Durham (UCONN)
Andres Feliz (Illinois)
Troy Baxter Jr (UNLV) ***NBA
Udoka Azubuike (Kansas) ***NBA - Played 4 years of HS ball in J'ville after moving here from Africa

Class of 2017:
Kevin Knox (Kentucky) ***NBA
Paul Reed (DePaul) ***NBA
Trent Frazier (Illinois)
Chaundee Brown (Michigan) ***NBA
Jamari Wheeler (Penn St.) just transferred to Ohio St.
Mitchell Robinson (W Kentucky) ***NBA - born & raised in Pensacola. Played first 2 years of HS ball before transferring to a Louisiana HS.
RaQuan Gray (Fsu) ***NBA

Class of 2018:
Nassir Little (UNC) ***NBA
Anfarnee Simons (Louisville) ***NBA
Emmitt Williams (LSU) ***NBA G-League
Colin Castleton (Florida)
Darius Days (LSU)

Class of 2019:
Vernon Carey (Duke) ***NBA
Kai Jones (Texas) ***NBA
CJ Walker (Oregon)
Tyrell Jones (Auburn)
Tre Mann (Florida) ***NBA
Balsa Koprivica (fsu) ***NBA
Hunter Catoor (Va Tech)
Omar Payne (Florida)

Class of 2020:
Scottie Barnes (FSU) ***NBA
Norchad Omier (Arkansas St.)
Jamal Mashburn, Jr. (Minnesota)
Miguel Selton (Kansas St.)
Dudley Blackwell (Iowa St.)
Tony Sanders (Notre Dame)
Damari Monsato (ETSU)
Isaiah Adams (UCF)

Class of 2021:
Josh Minott (Memphis) ***NBA
Ernest Ross (NC State)
Wes Cardet (Samford)
Devin Carter (South Carolina)
Dallan Coleman (Ga Tech)
Fanbo Zeng ***NBA G-League
Mike James (Louisville)
RJ Melendez (Illinois)
Emanuel Sharp (Houston)

Class of 2022:
Ausar Thompson (OTE) ***NBA
Amen Thompson (OTE) ***NBA
Dillon Mitchell (Texas)
Malik Reneau (Indiana)
Ernest Udeh, Jr. (Kansas)
Jett Howard (Michigan) ***NBA
Gregg Glenn (Michigan)
Taylor Hendricks (UCF) ***NBA
Brice Sensabaugh (Ohio St.) ***NBA
Kolby King (St. John's)
Jaylen Martin (OTE) ***NBA
Tre Donaldson (Auburn)
Riley Kugel (Florida)
RJ Luis (UMass)
Ven Allen-Rubin (Notre Dame)

Class of 2023:
Sean Stewart (Duke)
Eric Dailey (Oklahoma St.)
Sam Walters (Alabama)
Matt Bewley (OTE)
Ryan Bewley (OTE)
Dylan James (Georgia)
Kris Parker (Alabama)
Jordan Burks (Kentucky)
Jizzle James (Cincinatti)
Paul Djobet (Miami)
Carl Cherenfant (Memphis)
Marvel Allen (Dayton)
Anthony Robinson (Missouri)
Jayden Hastings (Boston College)

Class of 2024:
Asa Newell (Georgia)
Karter Knox (Kentucky)
Marcus Allen (Missouri)
Ryan Jones (Virginia Tech)
Isaiah Brown (Florida)
Tyler Johnson (Virginia Tech)
Malik Abdullahi (Princeton)
IB Traore (Oregon)
Sammy Yeaney (Arizona St.)

Last edited:
Advertisement
Here are some in-state players from the last 10 years who have had success at the next level after playing high school basketball in Florida, but who didn't sign with Miami coming out of HS. Please note, this list doesn't include some of the 4 & 5 star prospects who haven't found success yet and the countless number of out-of-state prospects who played at the basketball factories (IMG, Montverde, Rock, etc.).

There's no reason why Coach L and staff shouldn't be prioritizing the state of Florida in their recruiting. The proof is in the pudding.

Class of 2011:
Austin Rivers (Duke) ***NBA
Shane Larkin (DePaul) ***NBA
Jonathan Holton (West Va)

Class of 2012:
Erik McCree (Murray St.) ***NBA
Matt Williams (UCF) ***NBA
Stefan Moody (Ole Miss) All-SEC 2x
Joel James (UNC)
Gian Clavell (Colorado St.) ***NBA
Devaughn Purcell (Illinois St.) ***NBA

Class of 2013:
Chris Walker (Florida) ***NBA
Kasey Hill (UNC) ***NBA
Joe Chealey (Charleston) ***NBA

Class of 2014:
Grayson Allen (Duke) ***NBA
Joel Berry (UNC)
Malik Martin (USC)
Zach Johnson (FGCU)

Class of 2015:
Dwayne Bacon (FSU) ***NBA
Antonio Blakeney (LSU) ***NBA
John Collins (Wake Forest) ***NBA
Justin James (Wyoming) ***NBA
Corey Sanders (Rutgers)
Kerry Blackshear, Jr. (Va Tech)
Jonathan Laurent (OK St)

Class of 2016:
Jonathan Isaac (FSU) ***NBA
Tony Bradley (UNC) ***NBA
Trent Forrest (FSU) ***NBA
John Mooney (Notre Dame) 1st All-ACC
LJ Figueroa (Oregon)
Juwan Durham (UCONN)
Andres Feliz (Illinois)
Udoka Azubuike (Kansas) ***NBA - Played 4 years of HS ball in J'ville after moving here from Africa

Class of 2017:
Kevin Knox (Kentucky) ***NBA
Paul Reed (DePaul) ***NBA
Trent Frazier (Illinois)
Chaundee Brown (Michigan)
Jamari Wheeler (Penn St.) just transferred to Ohio St.
Mitchell Robinson (W Kentucky) ***NBA - born & raised in Pensacola. Played first 2 years of HS ball before transferring to a Louisiana HS.
RaQuan Gray (Fsu)

Class of 2018:
Nassir Little (UNC) ***NBA
Anfarnee Simons (Louisville) ***NBA - never made it to Louisville; went into the draft after prep school
Emmitt Williams (LSU) ***NBA G-League
Colin Castleton (Florida)
Darius Days (LSU)

Class of 2019:
Vernon Carey (Duke) ***NBA
Kai Jones (Texas)
CJ Walker (Oregon)
Tyrell Jones (Auburn)
Tre Mann (Florida)
Balsa Koprivica (fsu)
Omar Payne (Florida)

Class of 2020:
Scottie Barnes (FSU)
Norchad Omier (Arkansas St.)
Miguel Selton (Kansas St.)
Dudley Blackwell (Iowa St.)
Tony Sanders (Notre Dame)
Damari Monsato (ETSU)
Isaiah Adams (UCF)
RaQuan Gray might be one of the most egregious recent examples. You have a 3 star PF from your own backyard (Fort Lauderdale, which is just about 40 minutes from campus). UM doesn’t throw an offer his way, yet he’s good enough for programs like FSU, UF, Baylor, Illinois, Memphis, and West Virginia.

We signed deng Gak and Sam in that same class (2017). How did that work out?

RaQuan Gray might be one of the most egregious recent examples. You have a 3 star PF from your own backyard (Fort Lauderdale, which is just about 40 minutes from campus). UM doesn’t throw an offer his way, yet he’s good enough for programs like FSU, UF, Baylor, Illinois, Memphis, and West Virginia.

We signed deng Gak and Sam in that same class (2017). How did that work out?
I'll take your RaQuan Gray and raise you a John Collins. Collins went to Cardinal Newman and decided to go to Wake Forest. Imagine him on that 2015-16 team or the 2016-17 team and you are talking about a top 5 team each of those years maybe a title contending team.

I'll take your RaQuan Gray and raise you a John Collins. Collins went to Cardinal Newman and decided to go to Wake Forest. Imagine him on that 2015-16 team or the 2016-17 team and you are talking about a top 5 team each of those years maybe a title contending team.
247 shows we offered him and he visited here at one point, so while we failed to sign him, it shows we at least tried

Advertisement
247 shows we offered him and he visited here at one point, so while we failed to sign him, it shows we at least tried

Many thought JC was going to Miami once Coach L offered after the spring evaluation, but surprised a lot of people when he went up to Wake Forest for his official visit and committed about a week later.

Many thought JC was going to Miami once Coach L offered after the spring evaluation, but surprised a lot of people when he went up to Wake Forest for his official visit and committed about a week later.
I don’t remember his recruitment, but on paper it’s odd that he ended up at Wake Forest of all places. It’s not like they’ve been a power in the ACC. They’ve been at the bottom of the league for the majority of the last 10 or so years.

Marone'.

Advertisement
I don’t remember his recruitment, but on paper it’s odd that he ended up at Wake Forest of all places. It’s not like they’ve been a power in the ACC. They’ve been at the bottom of the league for the majority of the last 10 or so years.

If I remember correctly, JC's recruitment picked up at the end of his junior year in HS. During the following summer, he really blew up. Picked up a bunch of P5 offers. When Miami offered early that summer, all indications were he would stay home and play for Coach L. Not sure what sold him on Wake Forest, but a few days after his official visit there he decided to shut things down and commit to them.

https://www.theseasonticket.com/news_article/show/1157328-on-the-radar-hoops-sweet-16-top-performers

Came across this article from a travel basketball event held in Georgia this past weekend. Found it interesting that 6 of the 9 players mentioned as top performers there were all from Florida. Just another example of why it’s imperative that Larranaga start prioritizing the state a little more.
The state of Florida took over the summer league scene around 2010 and haven’t looked back since.

The state of Florida took over the summer league scene around 2010 and haven’t looked back since.

I wouldn’t necessarily say Florida has taken over but no question our state has been a major player on the national summer basketball scene since at least 2008, when South FL’s very own Team Breakdown won 17u AAU Nationals. I believe they did it again the following year in 2009 with the same core group of players. One of the most talented and successful prep basketball teams our state has ever seen.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I wouldn’t necessarily say Florida has taken over but no question our state has been a major player on the national summer basketball scene since at least 2008, when South FL’s very own Team Breakdown won 17u AAU Nationals. I believe they did it again the following year in 2009 with the same core group of players. One of the most talented and successful prep basketball teams our state has ever seen.
That is correct. Breakdown lost their shine when the big dogs were created like E1T1, NTF, and Florida Rams. The Rams have fallen off as of late but they were that deal in 2010-2012

That is correct. Breakdown lost their shine when the big dogs were created like E1T1, NTF, and Florida Rams. The Rams have fallen off as of late but they were that deal in 2010-2012

I didn't realize Florida Rams were still around. I thought they shut down when when Matt Ramker got into trouble for their ties with the agents. E1T1 and NTF have definitely done their thing over the years. Q6/Showtime had their run as well. There are some other new comers who are also doing a great job. Team Parsons, Nightryders, Florida Pros, among others are programs that have come up in recent years and are producing some very good prospects. It's crazy that Breakdown has lasted 20+ years in the game. Those guys are one of the few programs from around the country that have been delivering D1 talent and NBA pros since the 90's. Speaking of the 90's, I really do miss watching the battles between the likes of Jacksonville Lee Bulls, Tallahassee Wildcats, Goldcoast, Miami Tropics, etc.

Advertisement
I didn't realize Florida Rams were still around. I thought they shut down when when Matt Ramker got into trouble for their ties with the agents. E1T1 and NTF have definitely done their thing over the years. Q6/Showtime had their run as well. There are some other new comers who are also doing a great job. Team Parsons, Nightryders, Florida Pros, among others are programs that have come up in recent years and are producing some very good prospects. It's crazy that Breakdown has lasted 20+ years in the game. Those guys are one of the few programs from around the country that have been delivering D1 talent and NBA pros since the 90's. Speaking of the 90's, I really do miss watching the battles between the likes of Jacksonville Lee Bulls, Tallahassee Wildcats, Goldcoast, Miami Tropics, etc.
Now you’re talking my language! Those are the squads I battled against each and every week for years! Best memories of my life, no question. The scene has changed for the worse. In the 90’s and 2000’s up until about 2010 it was a genuine process/league looking out for young men. Now it’s filled with crooks and users

What are the AAU teams locallya bball kid should aim to get on.

Trying to see if my 9th grade relative has what it takes to play on one of those squads.

Let me know so i can try to get em on 1 of them

What are the AAU teams locallya bball kid should aim to get on.

Trying to see if my 9th grade relative has what it takes to play on one of those squads.

Let me know so i can try to get em on 1 of them

It all depends on your relative's level of play. There are a number of good programs in South Florida. Most important thing is that he find a program that has a history of developing talent. Still being relatively young he should be focused on getting the most development and exposure he can get. If it so happens they're ready to play against top level national competition then I'd suggest hitting up Team Breakdown, Nightryders, or Florida Pros. Those are the top national programs in South Florida.

It all depends on your relative's level of play. There are a number of good programs in South Florida. Most important thing is that he find a program that has a history of developing talent. Still being relatively young he should be focused on getting the most development and exposure he can get. If it so happens they're ready to play against top level national competition then I'd suggest hitting up Team Breakdown, Nightryders, or Florida Pros. Those are the top national programs in South Florida.
He's coming from a raw background...recently moving fromt he Bahamas..and played some balL last year at South Broward. You have any links to any programs?

Advertisement
Back