UM first ACC tournament game is Thursday at Noon

Advertisement
One other factor that I think factored in to Pack’s less than usual game is that he spent the first half chasing around that ultra quick/talented/future NBA player PG for Wake. That young man has a chance to be a star and chasing him has to take away shooting legs.

Advertisement
One other factor that I think factored in to Pack’s less than usual game is that he spent the first half chasing around that ultra quick/talented/future NBA player PG for Wake. That young man has a chance to be a star and chasing him has to take away shooting legs.

Appelby is a baller!!

As an aside after the scare today and the “we can’t keep a lead” talk.

In the First Round last year, we were up 7 against USC with a minute to go. They ended up tying it before Moore drained 2 FTs to give us a 68-66 lead. USC nearly banked the half court shot to win.

These problems have been going on for forever. USC made two 3s in the last minute. Idk what curse we have but I’d like these teams to start bricking them… but guess that’s why THIS IS MARCH

GO CANES

Too many people criticizing (or suggesting) what Coach L should do or be doing. Im told he belongs on all 4 faces of Mt. Rushmore, so obviously he knows more than you (or me) about successful basketball.
No offense, but who are the other 3 faces in the history of college basketball? All bull**** aside, Coach L is a legendary coach, but I watched as Coach K, Williams, Calipari and quite a few others were criticized by the media and their own fans.😂

I love our coach, and he has forgotten more about basketball than I will ever know…but he will be the first to admit he is human and not beyond reproach.

Advertisement
We’re exactly where we all hoped to be when the season began, in the ACC Tourney semis as a number 1 seed with a chance to knock out hated rival Duke in a prime time matchup.

I’ll take it and not worry about anything else.
And quite honestly, that is fair enough. When these kids haven’t had 2-3 years together, it truly is tough to hold them to some gelled measure after the one season they get to play together.

In the First Round last year, we were up 7 against USC with a minute to go. They ended up tying it before Moore drained 2 FTs to give us a 68-66 lead. USC nearly banked the half court shot to win.

These problems have been going on for forever. USC made two 3s in the last minute. Idk what curse we have but I’d like these teams to start bricking them… but guess that’s why THIS IS MARCH

GO CANES

They call it March Madness for a reason! A win is a win is a win! This team is as battle tested as anyone in the country! Give me a close game, and I’m rolling with the Canes!!

Need to get Lively in early foul trouble. He’s playing much better the second half of the year and blocks/changes shots and alters the game planif he can play major minutes. We tend to be much more focused and engaged from the tip when a big name is on the other side. Hopefully that Carries over to tomorrow.

Oh, wait, some ****head porster is probably going to criticize anyone who suggests this method, because we are horrible human beings and Coach L has 700 wins...

Good lord, when dip****s on this board were screaming to fire Coach L, I defended him. Now I point out that we should put teams in foul trouble earlier (and shouldn't be STILL shooting 1-and-1s in the final minute of the game), and I'm too hard on Coach L.

I guess it's a sign that we are winning games...

GO CANES
three basketballs can fit inside a rim at the same time. this fallacy that a 3 point shot is impossible to hit at the end of the game is just that - it really isnt. most players have a 30-40 percent chance to hit the shot.

Advertisement
three basketballs can fit inside a rim at the same time. this fallacy that a 3 point shot is impossible to hit at the end of the game is just that - it really isnt. most players have a 30-40 percent chance to hit the shot.
Which is why I am continually baffled by coaches not fouling when their teams are up by 3 in the last 30 seconds of a game. Take the 3 point shot out of play.

respectfully, i've never heard anyone calling Omier Nacho. People call him Chad but Nacho?

images

Ok fellow arm chair and rec-league coaches, let’s start breaking down this game and what we need to do to win. A healthy Nigel Pack seems out of the question so let’s assume his effectiveness is limited for this conversation.

Duke strengths-great size inside with Lively and Filipowski. Lively will change or alter 5-10 shots, he is that good inside. But as @HurricanePhilly and @TheOriginalCane have pointed out, getting him into foul trouble opens up the inside game. Of course this is easier said than done because he blocks/alters a lot of shots without leaving his feet. On offense he can do some things but I think Miller will continue to guard him pretty effectively.

Filipowski is their key offensive player and looks more comfortable shooting from outside despite his height advantage over Omier. Omier can frustrate him again with strength. But he needs to do it without fouling.

Duke weaknesses-strength on the inside. We need to rebound with 5 players all game as we did in the game in Miami. Duke can be pushed around at all 5 positions by our older and stronger team.

Ball handling. Duke’s PG committed a lot of turnovers against us in Miami to the point that he was pulled from the game about a minute into the 2nd half. Frustrate their weak ball handlers so that their big guys can’t catch the ball where they want and have to work too hard to score. Use some full court press just to give them different looks and get in their heads, and maybe even some half-court traps.
This is a Joseph style game where his limited offense may not matter if he can frustrate the duke guards. He may need to play big minutes anyways considering Pack’s health.

For UM the usual needs to happen-Omier needs to stay out of foul trouble. Having attended the GTech debacle, once Omier fouled out that game was over. And Wong needs to play like the ACC player of the year. Not just in spurts but he needs to control the game. It can’t just be Miller and Omier. Time for Wong to shine.

Chime in CIS.

Advertisement
Lets at least try to get the ball into Omier on Lively and see if he cant get him off his feet for 1-2 early to make him change his game. Because Young who they then bring in is very average. Just another big body but doesnt move well but is they typical Hard Nosed Hustling Duke kid who flops around like he was shot when you run into him or he throws up a lay up

If Lively plays disciplined and Omier struggles then I think we try to push tempo. Try to gas up their big guys and maybe get them a little out of control like when we blew them out. They are still a young team with a bunch of guys playing in their first meaningful post season game.

Last nights score was the perfect storm Pitt caught. Duke shot 60+% from the field and hit like 10-11 threes. They arent shooting that well every night and they dont shoot the three that well.

So in the end I expect us to build a 10 pt lead with about 4 minutes left and then we will need free throws to hold them off.

Ok fellow arm chair and rec-league coaches, let’s start breaking down this game and what we need to do to win. A healthy Nigel Pack seems out of the question so let’s assume his effectiveness is limited for this conversation.

Duke strengths-great size inside with Lively and Filipowski. Lively will change or alter 5-10 shots, he is that good inside. But as @HurricanePhilly and @TheOriginalCane have pointed out, getting him into foul trouble opens up the inside game. Of course this is easier said than done because he blocks/alters a lot of shots without leaving his feet. On offense he can do some things but I think Miller will continue to guard him pretty effectively.

Filipowski is their key offensive player and looks more comfortable shooting from outside despite his height advantage over Omier. Omier can frustrate him again with strength. But he needs to do it without fouling.

Duke weaknesses-strength on the inside. We need to rebound with 5 players all game as we did in the game in Miami. Duke can be pushed around at all 5 positions by our older and stronger team.

Ball handling. Duke’s PG committed a lot of turnovers against us in Miami to the point that he was pulled from the game about a minute into the 2nd half. Frustrate their weak ball handlers so that their big guys can’t catch the ball where they want and have to work too hard to score. Use some full court press just to give them different looks and get in their heads, and maybe even some half-court traps.
This is a Joseph style game where his limited offense may not matter if he can frustrate the duke guards. He may need to play big minutes anyways considering Pack’s health.

For UM the usual needs to happen-Omier needs to stay out of foul trouble. Having attended the GTech debacle, once Omier fouled out that game was over. And Wong needs to play like the ACC player of the year. Not just in spurts but he needs to control the game. It can’t just be Miller and Omier. Time for Wong to shine.

Chime in CIS.

I think you nailed it. Wish you would have joined me and @wspcane at the GaTech game, at least we would have had another person to commiserate with.

You make a good point about Lively not leaving his feet. It will be a challenge, but that's why I think that using a couple of the freshmen to take their shots inside might be fun, even if they get called for charges once or twice. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Gonna have to guard that 3-point line, particularly because some of the Duke bigs can shoot it.

Advertisement
Back