UM commit Fleming speaks on status of his pledge and meeting Stubblefield

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Miami Northwestern 4-star WR Marcus Fleming continued to make a name for himself on the camp circuit at the Opening Miami Regional on Sunday. The 5’11” 175 pound speedster was routinely wide-open in drills and was a frequent visitor to the endzone.

“I feel like I did great,” Fleming said of his performance. “I caught a lot of TD’s. None of the DB’s were too tough. I won every rep, even if I didn’t make the catch, I had my man beat.”

Fleming has been committed to the Hurricanes since June of last year, but there has been some rumors that he might start looking around with former position coach Ron Dugans out of the picture. However, Fleming says that’s not the case at all.

“I’m 100% with Miami,” Fleming said. “I’m not looking around, no other visits planned.”

What makes him feel comfortable with his Miami commitment despite the changes that the offensive staff has undergone?

“I’ve always loved Miami. Ever since I got the offer, I knew I’d commit,” Fleming said. “It’s the crib, there’s nothing better than home… and also the tradition.”

2 weeks back, Fleming was able to take part in Miami’s Junior Day event that allowed the recruits to familiarize themselves with the new staff members and also saw UM land 5 new commitments. Fleming got a chance to bond with new WR coach Taylor Stubblefield and he said the position coach has been on him hard about sticking in the class.

“Yeah, I was there at Junior Day. It was a fun vibe with all the new commits,” Fleming said. “I met coach Stubblefield, talked to him a lot. He’s great. He’s been hitting me up, says he wants me to stay solid and end up at Miami.”

Strong camp performances are just the tip of the iceberg for Fleming as he navigates the 2019 off-season. He’s gearing up for track season by working on his speed and plans to improve his game in all areas by the time fall comes around.

“I’m ready for senior year. I’ve just been working out and I have track starting on Tuesday,” Fleming said. “My goal is to get a little better at everything (this off-season).”

Fleming also added that he does not plan on signing early as of now.

Advertisement
Advertisement
2020 Miami Northwestern 4-star WR Marcus Fleming continued to make a name for himself on the camp circuit at the Opening Miami Regional on Sunday. The 5’11” 175 pound speedster was routinely wide-open in drills and was a frequent visitor to the endzone.

“I feel like I did great,” Fleming said of his performance. “I caught a lot of TD’s. None of the DB’s were too tough. I won every rep, even if I didn’t make the catch, I had my man beat.”

Fleming has been committed to the Hurricanes since June of last year, but there has been some rumors that he might start looking around with former position coach Ron Dugans out of the picture. However, Fleming says that’s not the case at all.

“I’m 100% with Miami,” Fleming said. “I’m not looking around, no other visits planned.”

What makes him feel comfortable with his Miami commitment despite the changes that the offensive staff has undergone?

“I’ve always loved Miami. Ever since I got the offer, I knew I’d commit,” Fleming said. “It’s the crib, there’s nothing better than home… and also the tradition.”

2 weeks back, Fleming was able to take part in Miami’s Junior Day event that allowed the recruits to familiarize themselves with the new staff members and also saw UM land 5 new commitments. Fleming got a chance to bond with new WR coach Taylor Stubblefield and he said the position coach has been on him hard about sticking in the class.

“Yeah, I was there at Junior Day. It was a fun vibe with all the new commits,” Fleming said. “I met coach Stubblefield, talked to him a lot. He’s great. He’s been hitting me up, says he wants me to stay solid and end up at Miami.”

Strong camp performances are just the tip of the iceberg for Fleming as he navigates the 2019 off-season. He’s gearing up for track season by working on his speed and plans to improve his game in all areas by the time fall comes around.

“I’m ready for senior year. I’ve just been working out and I have track starting on Tuesday,” Fleming said. “My goal is to get a little better at everything (this off-season).”

Thanks for the timely info!

Advertisement
Regardless of whether he signs or not

This is a far cry from a reason to call him a *** and a diva like a bunch of you were yest

At least verify you have a reason to be emotional and late your little emotional fingers start spewing hate.

Advertisement
Advertisement
He is solid to Miami, but doesn't plan on signing early. Sounds like late recuiting season shenanigans maybe in Miami forecasted future with this young man.

Or in the glass is half full scenario someone who knows how the recruit ranking game is played has counseled him on staying committed to Miami but saying publicly just the right things to imply he's open to overtures from others schools could get him a 5* rating before he ultimately signs with UM.

Go Canes

Thank you for the update Stefan!

What I don't get is why is it ok for coaches and recruiters to "play games" with these kids but if a kid decides he wants to commit when he's allowed to or sign on signing day instead of signing early, they're playing games? It's their college career and I think they can take as much time as they need to. I saw a coach tell a kid he'll recruit another kid now that someone he wanted committed somewhere else. I tell any kid, take your visits and take your time. A kid asked me the other day, why are fans so mad if a Miami kid plays elsewhere but it's ok for coaches to recruit elsewhere besides Miami? Where's the "loyalty" in that?

Advertisement
Back