UM athletics getting a nutritional staff

Advertisement
Thought this was interesting. This is a quote from an old Warchant article from when Jimbo was hired. Sound familiar?

“I'd also look for major improvements in the areas of strength, conditioning, and nutrition. Todd Stroud, FSU's current S&C coach will be out. He's not a bad S&C coach, but FSU can definitely do better. Fisher wants someone in the mold of Tommy Moffit, from LSU, widely considered the gold standard in college strength and conditioning programs. In addition to that, FSU's nutrition program is horrible. Players routinely fail to put on the necessary bulk. While UF has multiple nutritionists on staff, FSU doesn't have a single nutritionist on staff. Florida and Alabama regularly conduct blood testing on their players to make sure they have the proper levels of protein, vitamins, etc. Gator and Tide players regularly receive an individualized vitamin and mineral concoction upon getting to the complex. That's not happening at Florida State.”

Thought this was interesting. This is a quote from an old Warchant article from when Jimbo was hired. Sound familiar?

“I'd also look for major improvements in the areas of strength, conditioning, and nutrition. Todd Stroud, FSU's current S&C coach will be out. He's not a bad S&C coach, but FSU can definitely do better. Fisher wants someone in the mold of Tommy Moffit, from LSU, widely considered the gold standard in college strength and conditioning programs. In addition to that, FSU's nutrition program is horrible. Players routinely fail to put on the necessary bulk. While UF has multiple nutritionists on staff, FSU doesn't have a single nutritionist on staff. Florida and Alabama regularly conduct blood testing on their players to make sure they have the proper levels of protein, vitamins, etc. Gator and Tide players regularly receive an individualized vitamin and mineral concoction upon getting to the complex. That's not happening at Florida State.”

I've long suspected that. I wonder what's in those concoctions. :ohlord:

Lulzz

I was roasted on ****stime a few years ago for telling people we didn't have this.

Same here on either that site or CI. I even emailed the chick that people claimed to be the nutritionist, and she said 1) she would meet once or twice in season with the team to give them a lesson on good eating and 2) there was no legit individualized nutrition program.

You're referring to Dorfman?

http://www.foodfitness.com/articles/LisaDorfman.pdf

Lisa Dorfman, MS, RD, CSSD, LMHC, a leader to industry the public and the press for more than two decades, is Director of the Graduate Degree program in Nutrition for Health & Human Performance, Dept. of Kinesiology & Sport Sciences at the University of Miami, former Director of Sports Medicine Nutrition & Performance & Sports Nutritionist for the Canes Athletic Teams, 2003-2011.

Was that the extent of her involvement? If so, terrible. You'd figure if they have a **** job description for it there'd be more interaction then that.

Advertisement
As I understand it, we're targeting 2016 for getting "squat racks".

Lulz but not far off. Its mind boggling that we are just now getting a nutritional staff. I remember the sheer horror I felt when I saw Marcus Forston bragging about his new healthy diet which included a tuna sandwich and 2 bags of chips for lunch every day. We should have had a nutritional staff a decade ago.

Lulz but not far off. Its mind boggling that we are just now getting a nutritional staff. I remember the sheer horror I felt when I saw Marcus Forston bragging about his new healthy diet which included a tuna sandwich and 2 bags of chips for lunch every day. We should have had a nutritional staff a decade ago.

But the accountability is still on the players.

What's the old saying? "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink."

But the accountability is still on the players.

What's the old saying? "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink."

I agree, but thats what was so troubling about the article. Forston genuinely thought he was eating healthy. We are dealing with kids who have been able to coast off their natural abilities for their entire lives, many of whom come from low income backgrounds. A major part of the battle is simply teaching them what is healthy and what isnt. If they want to eat burger King after that then its on them.

Advertisement
Swasey has been pushing for something like this for a while of course Randy didn't see this as to important

177.jpg

Easily the best photo I have ever seen!

hands down one of the funniest photos ever!!1

I have zero doubt Randy's view on nutrition was "in the 80s we ate catfish and a strawberry soda and we was good for the day....."

Shame on the AD, and Shalala, for being so late on modernizing.

Btw, the basketball team in year two is totally different after they got a new S and C coach, but he football team is still stuck with Mr MuscleMilk Swasey.

Another coach that you can't fire bc his boys in the community will flip out. Smfh.

You're referring to Dorfman?

http://www.foodfitness.com/articles/LisaDorfman.pdf

Lisa Dorfman, MS, RD, CSSD, LMHC, a leader to industry the public and the press for more than two decades, is Director of the Graduate Degree program in Nutrition for Health & Human Performance, Dept. of Kinesiology & Sport Sciences at the University of Miami, former Director of Sports Medicine Nutrition & Performance & Sports Nutritionist for the Canes Athletic Teams, 2003-2011.

Was that the extent of her involvement? If so, terrible. You'd figure if they have a **** job description for it there'd be more interaction then that.

lol

I took her class last semester with the entire freshmen football team, basically.

anyway, ALL freshmen were supposed to take the class, and I think that used to be the requirements for better nutrition.

what a joke.

I have zero doubt Randy's view on nutrition was "in the 80s we ate catfish and a strawberry soda and we was good for the day....."

Btw, the basketball team in year two is totally different after they got a new S and C coach, but he football team is still stuck with Mr MuscleMilk Swasey.

Another coach that you can't fire bc his boys in the community will flip out. Smfh.

Randy was stuck in the past. That is complete truth. As far as Swasey goes, you're WAY OFF. Not much he can do when you have Shannon dictating how things ar going to be done, and when he doesn't have THE FUNDS OR RESOURCES to implement certain things he wants. Honestly, UM needed/still needs to step up BIG TIME with getting funds for some other things related to the football program. That's alot easier said then done. I do think Blake James is Getting there. Another thing I know was talked bout was trying to add some type of indoor facility.

Advertisement
As a poster said before, not having a nutritionsit and training table may be the reason were missing out on all these DTs. If a recruit really likes his final 2 or 3 equally that may be a thing that eliminates us in his quest to get to the NFL.

Randy was stuck in the past. That is complete truth. As far as Swasey goes, you're WAY OFF. Not much he can do when you have Shannon dictating how things ar going to be done, and when he doesn't have THE FUNDS OR RESOURCES to implement certain things he wants. Honestly, UM needed/still needs to step up BIG TIME with getting funds for some other things related to the football program. That's alot easier said then done. I do think Blake James is Getting there. Another thing I know was talked bout was trying to add some type of indoor facility.

Ol' GS STILL can't accept the fact that Swasey might actually be competent. As has been pointed out to him MULTIPLE times, on MULTIPLE boards ... Swasey has been at the mercy of the head coaches he works for. And if they don't think nutrition is a big deal, they won't fight for the funds. Swasey is not the one constant in the decline of the S&C program ... The one constant has been bad head coaches who were leading the team.

Glad to see Swasey, Golden, James, and Shalala on the same team, and committing more resources to the program!

hopefully we can hire a dominican dude to be on staff. Hgh gummies and greenie dumdrops in addition to the winstrol will all be much appreciated

Advertisement
Every top program has a nutritional staff we are atleast 10 years late on this

If anyone is to blame it's the AD.....everything always on Randy & yes he did fail & he has his share

Something's was out of his hands so let's stop pointing fingers & move on

Go Canes!!!!!:neonu:

I've always said the S and C program here (whih includes nutrition) is the number one culprit in 5 star talent busting and kids playing better in the NFL.

Every top program has a nutritional staff we are atleast 10 years late on this

If anyone is to blame it's the AD.....everything always on Randy & yes he did fail & he has his share

Something's was out of his hands so let's stop pointing fingers & move on

Go Canes!!!!!:neonu:

Unfortunately, we had an obese lawyer as our AD when things went south for us. (God rest his soul)

Advertisement
Back