UM athletics getting a nutritional staff

Advertisement
That accountability is on the players is STOOPID. Are you serious? The average ******* adult thinks pizza and beer is full of good stuff. Players, many of them not all, are from backgrounds where nutrition is not exactly priority number one but they're supposed to know about this stuff? I am shocked people actually toe that line in order to absolve the administration and staff from responsibility. The University not having this is outright negligence and not surprising the strenght and conditioning has been **** since Clappy and Blanditus were here.

Most kids dont know about eating healthy, and especially how each player has individual makeup vis a vis the interaction btw their diet, and exercise routine and how to tweak it individually to achieve optimal results.

Do you just assume that EVERY kid at Bama, Florida and LSU came to campus aware of macro nutritients, etc? NO they were trained and educated. We didn't do that to blame the kids is stupid.

Advertisement
That accountability is on the players is STOOPID. Are you serious? The average ******* adult thinks pizza and beer is full of good stuff. Players, many of them not all, are from backgrounds where nutrition is not exactly priority number one but they're supposed to know about this stuff? I am shocked people actually toe that line in order to absolve the administration and staff from responsibility. The University not having this is outright negligence and not surprising the strenght and conditioning has been **** since Clappy and Blanditus were here.

Most kids dont know about eating healthy, and especially how each player has individual makeup vis a vis the interaction btw their diet, and exercise routine and how to tweak it individually to achieve optimal results.

Do you just assume that EVERY kid at Bama, Florida and LSU came to campus aware of macro nutritients, etc? NO they were trained and educated. We didn't do that to blame the kids is stupid.

Disagree, Dutch. You know the value I place on this stuff personally, but it's a function of discipline. Sounds cheesy, but these kids have to want it. This doesn't really seem to be an issue with the great players. Which is why it boils down to the kids that you're bringing in. Hard workers or entitled? And what culture does the head coach create? One of competition, or the "country club" mentality.

Alex,

I understand but they're still kids some of the fiercest competitors are totally unaware of nutrition. I blame the staff full stop.

Expecting an 18 year old kid to be able to structure and monitor an ideal nutritional profile suited for his individual needs and goals is possibly the most absurd expectation I have ever seen on a message board.

Bama, LSU, UF, etc. these places have a staff dedicated to not only teaching the kids but monitoring them every day, and giving them specific instructions, every day, of what to eat, how much, and when.

Advertisement
Alex,

I understand but they're still kids some of the fiercest competitors are totally unaware of nutrition. I blame the staff full stop.

Agree as to the 1st part of your statement. Disagree as to the latter. You can't monitor what these kids do when they go home, or what they eat or drink when they go out. You can provide them the tools, the training, and the education, but in the end, it's up to them to live it.

Just as a comparison, I see a guy like Duke and all the progress he's made (has definitely gotten bigger) and then I see a Gionni Paul, who just looked soft. Poor body composition. They need to have accountability for what they do. They can't blame their physique or body composition on others.

What is this go home you speak of? The couple of months a year that they are away from campus? OK.

When they are on campus, that is exactly what these nutritionists are there for: monitoring and structuring their daily eating habits. These kids are given specific easy to follow plans that guides them based on the various options on campus for eating.

What is this go home you speak of? The couple of months a year that they are away from campus? OK.

When they are on campus, that is exactly what these nutritionists are there for: monitoring and structuring their daily eating habits. These kids are given specific easy to follow plans that guides them based on the various options on campus for eating.

A kid is still going to be on his own from time to time and going to have to have the discipline to listen to the knowledge the nutritionists give him. I'm sure most of them have zero knowledge coming in but once they are given the information, it becomes the responsibility of both since there's no way to monitor these guys 24 hours per day.

Yes but there is a massive difference between asking a kid to follow a diet when he's home versus have zero guidelines and monitoring at ANY time, which is what we had here.

The implication that our lack of S and C results lays mostly at the kids feet is foolish. You have to develop and guide kids. That why they pay coaches millions of dollars.

Advertisement

Sorry. Didn't elaborate. What I mean by "go home" is any time these kids have a meal that isn't provided by the football team. I doubt these kids have every meal together and I'd presume that most of the time, they're on their own in that regards.

Yes but there is a massive difference between asking a kid to follow a diet when he's home versus have zero guidelines and monitoring at ANY time, which is what we had here.

The implication that our lack of S and C results lays mostly at the kids feet is foolish. You have to develop and guide kids. That why they pay coaches millions of dollars.

We'll agree to disagree on that one. It's no surprise that S&C problems (or purported problems) aren't issues with college football's great coaches. Coaching is most important element. What could we expect under Coker and Shannon? A rudderless ship.

I'm not implying that at all. Of course it's on everyone involved.

Advertisement
I spoke to a good gym buddy of mine who was an S&C coach here under Swasey. He was hired just before Butch left and left after Peach Bowl.

-Said that he felt that it was within his job title/description to provide individualized food counseling/education to each kid.
-Said many players would come to him with nutritional issues and he'd provide guidance.
-However, no "customized" meal plan for the kids. Said the problem with that is that without a training table, really can't control/monitor what these kids eat.
-He said that he thinks they have a training table now (or sometime after he left) 2x a week. But said problem with that is that the big $ schools have training table 3x a day!
-Said Swasey has been pushing for nutritionist and training table for some time now.
-When team travels, S&C staff takes care of nutrition and kids have access to training table.
-Said to meet Swasey's concerns, team hired a nutritionist but the nutritionist wasn't particularly effective, so they continued their individual sessions with the kids. (I presume he was referring to Dorfman but didn't intrude for a name.)

I spoke to a good gym buddy of mine who was an S&C coach here under Swasey. He was hired just before Butch left and left after Peach Bowl.

-Said that he felt that it was within his job title/description to provide individualized food counseling/education to each kid.
-Said many players would come to him with nutritional issues and he'd provide guidance.
-However, no "customized" meal plan for the kids. Said the problem with that is that without a training table, really can't control/monitor what these kids eat.
-He said that he thinks they have a training table now (or sometime after he left) 2x a week. But said problem with that is that the big $ schools have training table 3x a day!
-Said Swasey has been pushing for nutritionist and training table for some time now.
-When team travels, S&C staff takes care of nutrition and kids have access to training table.
-Said to meet Swasey's concerns, team hired a nutritionist but the nutritionist wasn't particularly effective, so they continued their individual sessions with the kids. (I presume he was referring to Dorfman but didn't intrude for a name.)

All truth. Without FUNDS and SUPPPORT not much can be done by ANYONE. Just like your buddy stated, Swasey has wanted to implement certain things for awhile.

Advertisement
Back