UM announces Simpson as DL coach, Van Dyke as CB coach, Baker retained as DC, Diaz to call plays; Diaz comments

View as article
It amazes me that Patke is good enough for Miami but not Utah State.

And Rumph.. If he wanted to keep Rumph on staff, ok. But putting Rumph in the recruiting dept borders on insulting.

Its like Manny thought.. What's Rumph worst at? Recruiting. So thats where I'll put him. What's Baker worst at? Coaching defenses. So thats where I'll keep him. Whats Patke good at? Nothing. So that's what I'll have him do.
It's as if he's building a dossier of failure so he can fire him. If that's what he wants, just do it. It's a no balls, political move.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Alabama has about 90 former head coaches employed as analysts.

Miami, meanwhile, is retaining a DC that isn’t even good enough to call his own plays on game day. What a joke.

And please, please, please tell me that Manny won’t be able to buy himself another couple of years when he finally has to fire Baker and bring in a real DC. This was it. This was his last mulligan and he played it the way he wanted to. He doesn’t get any more.

Dead Manny Walking.
If he was sincerely trying to hire a DC, this is probably the reason he couldn't.

This is unfortunately what the Canes have become. To basically add just TRob (who is a good hire) and Jess, and not do anything with the rest of the defense is beyond me. I think it goes to show that no one worth a ****, wants to come work for Manny. He has no tree to call upon and I believe these coaches know he wont be around long. Who else hires a coach with no experience to be CEO of the team-our ADs office. And now Manny had the chance to make changes on the staff, but decided to go with his heart. I commend him for that but we have two, two lame duck coaches in Rumph and Baker. This would not happen at any of the top schools in the country. Feel we are in for another mediocre two years until the administration says "enough" and wants to be part of college football again.

Hope you're right to be optimistic about Manny as the DC playcaller, CL. We played a lot of crappy offenses in those 2016-2018 years that helped pad Manny's numbers. Also, opposing OCs have a lot of tape on his scheme now. With the ACC slowly getting better, his work is a lot harder the second time around.

IMO, the only way Manny survives as HC at Miami is if he keeps hunting for an Alpha DC that he can bring in like Orgeron and Dabo did.

Manny is certainly flawed from a DC perspective but he's an obvious upgrade over Baker. If he can add a little bit of discipline to his scheme, it could work and be successful in my opinion. Successful is a relative term though by my standards for defense in today's game is to hold bad teams under 20 and good teams under 30. If you do that, you'll have a very good record especially with Lashlee here. Is it sustainable for Diaz to be the play caller? I'm not so sure but this is his last stand, if the defense falters again, I don't know if he gets another do over.

Advertisement
So...basically...DVD and Mike Rumph switched jobs.

Lets see if DVD can actually recruit. Those in the loop speak highly of him as a recruiter. Sounds like T-Rob is the coach, DVD is the assistant to the coach there.

Keeping Baker is a mistake. LB play was atrocious as was our defensive play calling. I would have preferred new blood to send the message that poor performance won't be tolerated from anyone, coaches included.

Diaz as a play caller at Miami is a proven commodity and I would expect similar results to 2016-2018.

2016- 18.5 PPG (12th)
2017- 21 PPG (28th)
2018- 19.5 PPG (18th)

2019- 20.2 PPG (23rd) (Baker)
2020- 27 PPG (51st) (Baker)

I fully expect Bama to drop 40+ on us but Diaz will be judged on the remaining 11 games. He's betting on himself and will be the one to pay the price should it backfire.
I agree with this 100%. Manny is betting on his D and his ability to call the D.
I think next year if we don't win the Coastal he is on an extremely hot seat. He might as well go down with what he thinks will work opposed to trying something new. We are returning alot of Starters and especially on the back end. You never know if that had to do with guys returning like Bolden and Nesta. Do you think they stick around if they are learning new scheme/lingo etc?
It had to of been a tough decision and he decided F its lets roll, I will take the reigns myself.

Advertisement
The question I have is how does TRob fit into this staff. Specifically, he was DC at USCarolina, but it was a different philosophy (ie., Muschamp's defense) on that side of the ball....will TRob add to this defense? If we had decent beat reporters in sFL, it would be good to ask, but good luck with Susan Miller Dingbat, Barry Jagoff, and Mammary Navarro.

Advertisement
‘we’ll be fine’ says the fan base of the program that has won 1 bowl game in 13 years.

failed DC retained, struggling first time head corch doing two jobs. lb recruiting and cb recruiting huge glaring issues. defense gets humiliated by unc.

‘we’ll be fine.’

I will never give up on my alma mater, but I have officially given up on Manny Diaz ever growing up from a boy to a man and becoming a great college football head coach.

He clearly doesn't understand what it takes to address the structural and coaching related issues on defense, and I do not care to hear any of his explanations or excuses any longer.

I still hope we win every game, but I am ready to start discussing head coaching alternatives.
Well said...I never wanted him as DC or HC but these moves will no doubt end his tenure at Miami & for that I am happy.

2023 Welcome TRob as the new Miami HC

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The Miami Hurricanes hired Jess Simpson as assistant head coach/defensive line and promoted DeMarcus Van Dyke to cornerbacks coach, head coach Manny Diaz announced Thursday as UM finalized its football coaching staff for the coming season.

Simpson’s hire is pending completion of a standard University background check.

Simpson, who held the same title at Miami during the 2018 season, returns to Coral Gables after spending the past two seasons as defensive line coach for the Atlanta Falcons. Van Dyke, a former UM cornerback who spent six seasons in the NFL, shifts to cornerbacks coach after serving the past two seasons as UM’s assistant director of recruiting.

Simpson and Van Dyke join Blake Baker (defensive coordinator/inside linebackers), Jonathan Patke (special teams coordinator/outside linebackers) and Travaris Robinson (defensive backs) on the defensive coaching staff. Diaz also announced he will be calling the defensive plays on gameday moving forward.

In addition, former assistant head coach/defensive line coach Todd Stroud will now serve as Senior Football Advisor and former cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph will assume a role in UM’s recruiting department.

“We are excited to announce these staff hires as we work to improve all facets of our program on and off the field,” Diaz said. “Jess is a proven defensive line coach at all levels who had great success with our defensive line in 2018 and we are thrilled to have him back at UM. DeMarcus is eager to take the next step in his coaching career and work in tandem with Travaris with our defensive backs.

“Jonathan will continue to work with our outside linebackers and lead our special teams, which are coming off a season in which we led the nation in net punting and had our first Lou Groza Award winner.

“Blake will continue to run our defense and I will call the defensive plays on gamedays, which we feel is our best path to maximizing our strengths on that side of the ball.

“We also think it’s a tremendous asset to have Todd and Mike continue to work closely with our program. Overall, this is a staff that firmly believes in our vision and culture for Miami Football and we can’t wait to hit the ground running with our offseason program.”

Simpson originally joined the Hurricanes staff in March of 2018 after a first stint with the Falcons as defensive assistant in 2017. In his first season at The U in 2018, Miami delivered a stellar season on defense. The Hurricanes ranked No. 4 in the country in total defense and ranked No. 1 in several categories, including tackles for loss, third down conversion percentage and passing yards allowed. Under Simpson’s tutelage, defensive tackle Gerald Willis earned All-American honors. In 12 years as the Buford (GA) High School head coach, Simpson won seven state titles and compiled a record of 164-12 – a .932 winning percentage. Simpson earned his bachelor's degree from Auburn in 1993 and added a master's in education from North Georgia College in 2002.

Van Dyke has spent the last two years as assistant director of recruiting after spending 2018 as a defensive quality control analyst for the Hurricanes. This past year, Van Dyke played an instrumental role in the Hurricanes reeling in a recruiting class ranked in the top 10 nationwide by ESPN. Van Dyke was a four-year letterwinner for the Hurricanes, graduating from Miami in 2010. He was selected by the Oakland Raiders in the third round of the 2011 NFL Draft. The Miami Gardens, Fla., native spent the 2017 season as cornerbacks coach at ASA College in Miami.
Great news!

Advertisement
Well said...I never wanted him as DC or HC but these moves will no doubt end his tenure at Miami & for that I am happy.

2023 Welcome TRob as the new Miami HC

Tee you think TRob would be a solid HC or just because that’d be a Miami move?

Tee you think TRob would be a solid HC or just because that’d be a Miami move?
BOTH 🤣🤣🤣...I think he would be a solid HC for someone....he paid real dues, coached mostly in the SEC..been a coordinator in the SEC...an elite position coach & recruiter...has ties to south Florida...has a coaching network he can pull coaches from....turns 40 this year.

I agree with this 100%. Manny is betting on his D and his ability to call the D.
I think next year if we don't win the Coastal he is on an extremely hot seat. He might as well go down with what he thinks will work opposed to trying something new. We are returning alot of Starters and especially on the back end. You never know if that had to do with guys returning like Bolden and Nesta. Do you think they stick around if they are learning new scheme/lingo etc?
It had to of been a tough decision and he decided F its lets roll, I will take the reigns myself.
Do not like even the thought of eating crow but if we make the ACC championship game I would gladly eat some. A double helping if we are competitive in that game

Meme Wwe GIF
The ACC Coaches better know that the U will be coming and some D awaits with anticipation to avenge the beatdown at UNC.......Mack watch out, it will be our turn......let Coach Lash unleash....Payback game in 2021.

Advertisement
Back