UM announces Simpson as DL coach, Van Dyke as CB coach, Baker retained as DC, Diaz to call plays; Diaz comments

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The Miami Hurricanes hired Jess Simpson as assistant head coach/defensive line and promoted DeMarcus Van Dyke to cornerbacks coach, head coach Manny Diaz announced Thursday as UM finalized its football coaching staff for the coming season.

Simpson’s hire is pending completion of a standard University background check.

Simpson, who held the same title at Miami during the 2018 season, returns to Coral Gables after spending the past two seasons as defensive line coach for the Atlanta Falcons. Van Dyke, a former UM cornerback who spent six seasons in the NFL, shifts to cornerbacks coach after serving the past two seasons as UM’s assistant director of recruiting.

Simpson and Van Dyke join Blake Baker (defensive coordinator/inside linebackers), Jonathan Patke (special teams coordinator/outside linebackers) and Travaris Robinson (defensive backs) on the defensive coaching staff. Diaz also announced he will be calling the defensive plays on gameday moving forward.

In addition, former assistant head coach/defensive line coach Todd Stroud will now serve as Senior Football Advisor and former cornerbacks coach Mike Rumph will assume a role in UM’s recruiting department.

“We are excited to announce these staff hires as we work to improve all facets of our program on and off the field,” Diaz said. “Jess is a proven defensive line coach at all levels who had great success with our defensive line in 2018 and we are thrilled to have him back at UM. DeMarcus is eager to take the next step in his coaching career and work in tandem with Travaris with our defensive backs.

“Jonathan will continue to work with our outside linebackers and lead our special teams, which are coming off a season in which we led the nation in net punting and had our first Lou Groza Award winner.

“Blake will continue to run our defense and I will call the defensive plays on gamedays, which we feel is our best path to maximizing our strengths on that side of the ball.

“We also think it’s a tremendous asset to have Todd and Mike continue to work closely with our program. Overall, this is a staff that firmly believes in our vision and culture for Miami Football and we can’t wait to hit the ground running with our offseason program.”

Simpson originally joined the Hurricanes staff in March of 2018 after a first stint with the Falcons as defensive assistant in 2017. In his first season at The U in 2018, Miami delivered a stellar season on defense. The Hurricanes ranked No. 4 in the country in total defense and ranked No. 1 in several categories, including tackles for loss, third down conversion percentage and passing yards allowed. Under Simpson’s tutelage, defensive tackle Gerald Willis earned All-American honors. In 12 years as the Buford (GA) High School head coach, Simpson won seven state titles and compiled a record of 164-12 – a .932 winning percentage. Simpson earned his bachelor's degree from Auburn in 1993 and added a master's in education from North Georgia College in 2002.

Van Dyke has spent the last two years as assistant director of recruiting after spending 2018 as a defensive quality control analyst for the Hurricanes. This past year, Van Dyke played an instrumental role in the Hurricanes reeling in a recruiting class ranked in the top 10 nationwide by ESPN. Van Dyke was a four-year letterwinner for the Hurricanes, graduating from Miami in 2010. He was selected by the Oakland Raiders in the third round of the 2011 NFL Draft. The Miami Gardens, Fla., native spent the 2017 season as cornerbacks coach at ASA College in Miami.

Advertisement
I will never give up on my alma mater, but I have officially given up on Manny Diaz ever growing up from a boy to a man and becoming a great college football head coach.

He clearly doesn't understand what it takes to address the structural and coaching related issues on defense, and I do not care to hear any of his explanations or excuses any longer.

I still hope we win every game, but I am ready to start discussing head coaching alternatives.

Advertisement
go fuck yourself middle finger GIF by IFC
gun middle finger GIF
jon stewart middle finger GIF

Advertisement
I will never give up on my alma mater, but I have officially given up on Manny Diaz ever growing up from a boy to a man and becoming a great college football head coach.

He clearly doesn't understand what it takes to address the structural and coaching related issues on defense, and I do not care to hear any of his explanations or excuses any longer.

I still hope we win every game, but I am ready to start discussing head coaching alternatives.
Samesies

Advertisement
As I've mentioned here, I actually played for Coach Simpson back in HS lol and I thought he did well here.

However, THIS: “Blake will continue to run our defense and I will call the defensive plays on gamedays, which we feel is our best path to maximizing our strengths on that side of the ball."

What the **** does that even mean? You're going to continue to employ this ****** D coordinator but not make him do his job on gamedays?!

Baker is his boy, and had a kid a couple years ago. He has to look after him. That what it is let’s be real. And he loves him some Rumph . The guy can’t recruit, or develop , but he is loyal to manny. Playing favorites with the coaches, just as he did with players on the field.

Advertisement
I have no problem keeping Rumph on in the recruiting dept. This way we aren't just cutting one of our own loose and it will give him time to line up something else. Sometimes it's important to take care of your own.

Van Dyke has the chance to continue recruiting and learn how to be a coach under TRob. Since we didn't really need a separate CB coach, it's good to put a recruiter in there.

This what I donr get why do we need to corner back coaches? And my thing is keep Baker get rid of baker dont matter he will just be seen no heard. We could use an extra Grad ***. N baker fits that role perfectly. But I thought all these guys were parting ways or it was n there best interest to leave the program? Now there back. Why couldn't we just hire a Def man coverage coach and Manny just do what a head coach is supposed to do run the program.

Advertisement
Back