UM announces Simpson as DL coach, Van Dyke as CB coach, Baker retained as DC, Diaz to call plays; Diaz comments

View as article
Advertisement
Manny failed. It takes 2 to tango and he couldn't pull it off. He will likely get fired after next season barring a total turnaround from the embarrassing blowout we're going to suffer at the hands of Alabama.
We've proven to be very resilient after beatdowns, so I expect an undefeated run after Baga eviscerates us and uses our pelts as Shaman garb on national TV.

“Bama breaks unbreakable record”

Defending National Champion Alabama opened the 2021 season by breaking Georgia Tech’s unbreakable record of the most lopsided win in CFB history, beating Miami 223-0. Georgia Tech held the record, a 222-0 win over Cumberland, since 1916.

Hurricanes HC Manny Diaz refused to accept a running clock in the second half, despite a 126-0 deficit.

Alabama’s scout team scored 42 points in fourth quarter. Notably, Alabama freshman QB Tonya Saban, granddaughter of Nick Saban, became the first female to score a touchdown in a FBS game, scoring on a 45-yard run, a draw up the middle on a 4th-and-10 quarterback sneak. She had also become the first female throw a touchdown pass, with three touchdown passes on three consecutive pass attempts in the fourth quarter.

“I could not be a prouder grandfather if I tried”, said the Alabama HC, announcing his retirement at the end of the season.

Alabama 63 63 55 42 - 223
Miami 0 0 0 0 - 0

1610678575130.jpeg

Last edited:
“Bama breaks unbreakable record”

Defending National Champion Alabama opened the 2021 season by breaking Georgia Tech’s unbreakable record of the most lopsided win in CFB history, beating Miami 223-0. Georgia Tech held the record, a 222-0 win over Cumberland, since 1916.

Hurricanes HC Manny Diaz refused to accept a running clock in the second half, despite a 126-0 deficit.

Alabama’s scout team scored 42 points in fourth quarter. Notably, Alabama freshman QB Tonya Saban, granddaughter of Nick Saban, became the first female to score a touchdown in a FBS game, scoring on a 45-yard run, a draw up the middle on a 4th-and-10 quarterback sneak. She had also become the first female throw a touchdown pass, with three touchdown passes on three consecutive pass attempts in the fourth quarter.

“I could not be a prouder grandfather if I tried”, said the Alabama HC, announcing his retirement at the end of the season.

Alabama 63 63 55 42 - 223
Miami 0 0 0 0 - 0

View attachment 141144

I hope this post gets the attention it deserves. If you could have mentioned Manny getting over the loss with his patented slip-n-slide move to keep the boys motivated for week 2. I'd say early nomination for post of the year.

Advertisement
We've become a government bureau.

Nobody gets fired. Ever.

We're like a bad school district where it takes 18 months to fire a high school teacher who got caught piping a cheerleader.

That part is wild to me. We didn't actually fire anyone on the D side. I need @Cribby to check with his sources but here is what I believe happened.

First, they played musical chairs. Banda was left with no chair so he was chosen to be a DC elsewhere.

Then we played hot potato with job titles. DVD ended up with an on-field position and Rumph lost his.

Then we played White Elephant. Stroud had by default gotten the D-Line Job but Simpson who was recently fired from the job he left us for wanted it back so he made that trade.

Blake James then watched as Manny and Friends played a game of cuckold with his wife.

So UNC obliterated the record book on rushing against this same staff, Losses to LT and FIU, minus T-Rob and not one person fired only reassigned, retired, and promoted elsewhere.

Cornerback recruiting and coaching sucked, no problem reassign the coach to the recruiting staff. Hire T-Rob to coach corners and safeties, get everyone buying back in, then sneak in former player and recruiting staff member will be cornerbacks coach. Special teams minus the kicker and punter is utter trash. That’s not even mentioning the punt returners. And that coach remains in his same position. And linebackers, I mean seriously worst unit on the field brings back the same position coaches. The one chance to get it right and this is the result.

What is the purpose of keeping Baker if he's not going to call plays? Just hire someone else who is a better recruiter and put him in that role. Baker is a waste, what recruit will respect him if he's not calling plays?
What this tells me is that Manny struck out with the guys he had pegged for the job. The fact that Baker has been stripped of play calling duties also tells me he is a dead man walking and that he will be actively pursuing other opportunities. I fully expect a new DC to be in place for the 2022 season. Diaz is going to do it himself for the time being. Do I like It? No not necessarily but that's the hand we have been dealt. Do I like the upgrades at DB and DL coach? Yes I most certainly do but outside T Rob we have no other defensive coaches who are proven recruiters.

Advertisement
Alright I'm a bit confused.... Didn't everyone say this was Manny's defense and Baker was just the playcaller? But based on what Manny said, it was Baker's defense and now he'll be the playcaller. So my question is.... What's the main difference in their scheme?
One difference is stand up pass rushers. Jess Simpson and CMD run traditional 4 down lineman, none dropping in zone etc. We'll be fine. Manny is running his DEF and Lashlee will run the O. Baker contract is up next year and we'll hire a DC or promote Simpson and TRob to Co-DCs with Simpson getting first crack at play calling being Asst HC. DVD is an asst Secondary coach working with TRob but can now recruit w/o restrictions. LB recruiting was a problem under CMD but LB performance wasn't an issue...let's see how this thing turns out boys, Manny didn't get his guy (DC Steele IMO) so he's going to take over DEF and buy himself a year without our program taking a step back.

Has everything to do with friendship just like I said it would. He couldn’t fire his sons. Everyone thought he was Big Nasty when he greased some offensive coaches he barely knew. I warned everyone not to read too much into that.

The test would always be what he would do with his sons. He chose his sons over UM just like Rick and Folden did. Manure Foldenez picked his poison.
I'm stealing Manure Foldenez

Baker prolly told manny he wanted to quit, because he didn't want to get thrown under the bus over the Alabama game. Manny's like, 'you can't quit, man. I need you.' Baker says 'well, I'll agree to stay as DC, but you're callin the plays against Saban. That loss is on you.' So manny gets run by his own lackey.

After Alabama, Manny's gone have to give back the play calling to Baker. What's the rationale for him keeping it when he gives up 77 points to Alabama in 3 quarters. So he ends up with Baker as DC anyhow, and since he won't be blamed for Alabama, he'll probably keep him after next year, too.

Advertisement
Some people need to step back from the ledge. Holy ****. Yea Baker was in over his head calling the D. I doubt he’s a bad LB coach. Look at the talent he inherited after Shaq and Pinckney. Pretty awful. I agree he should have never been the DC but what everyone needs to realize is Diaz is back as DC no matter what they want to keep Bakers title as. He is taking on the challenge himself and I don’t necessarily blame him. He had some good D’s under Richt where we just thought we needed an new OC and we would be balling again. Well it’s clear Baker wasn’t the fix after we have improved drastically on O. So now Diaz will overtake it again. Let’s see how it works. We improved our D line coach and secondary coach with TRob. He put together a great class and some guys who will be glue of team are returning. I have been extremely critical of Diaz and his childish antics of cigars and slip n slide etc but I will also be optimistic this could work.
He just should have hired a good LB coach that can recruit and rid the program of Baker. How do you recruit 2022 LBs when kids know Baker is likely gone? Worse yet, what confidence does a recruit have in a coach that was demoted?

One difference is stand up pass rushers. Jess Simpson and CMD run traditional 4 down lineman, none dropping in zone etc. We'll be fine. Manny is running his DEF and Lashlee will run the O. Baker contract is up next year and we'll hire a DC or promote Simpson and TRob to Co-DCs with Simpson getting first crack at play calling being Asst HC. DVD is an asst Secondary coach working with TRob but can now recruit w/o restrictions. LB recruiting was a problem under CMD but LB performance wasn't an issue...let's see how this thing turns out boys, Manny didn't get his guy (DC Steele IMO) so he's going to take over DEF and buy himself a year without our program taking a step back.
Okay. Got it. This actually makes a ton of sense.

Advertisement
Keeping Baker is a mistake. LB play was atrocious as was our defensive play calling. I would have preferred new blood to send the message that poor performance won't be tolerated from anyone, coaches included.

Diaz as a play caller at Miami is a proven commodity and I would expect similar results to 2016-2018.

2016- 18.5 PPG (12th)
2017- 21 PPG (28th)
2018- 19.5 PPG (18th)

2019- 20.2 PPG (23rd) (Baker)
2020- 27 PPG (51st) (Baker)

I fully expect Bama to drop 40+ on us but Diaz will be judged on the remaining 11 games. He's betting on himself and will be the one to pay the price should it backfire.

I have no problem keeping Rumph on in the recruiting dept. This way we aren't just cutting one of our own loose and it will give him time to line up something else. Sometimes it's important to take care of your own.

Van Dyke has the chance to continue recruiting and learn how to be a coach under TRob. Since we didn't really need a separate CB coach, it's good to put a recruiter in there.
Isn't that what TRob is supposed to be?

Keeping Baker is a mistake. LB play was atrocious as was our defensive play calling. I would have preferred new blood to send the message that poor performance won't be tolerated from anyone, coaches included.

Diaz as a play caller at Miami is a proven commodity and I would expect similar results to 2016-2018.

2016- 18.5 PPG (12th)
2017- 21 PPG (28th)
2018- 19.5 PPG (18th)

2019- 20.2 PPG (23rd) (Baker)
2020- 27 PPG (51st) (Baker)

I fully expect Bama to drop 40+ on us but Diaz will be judged on the remaining 11 games. He's betting on himself and will be the one to pay the price should it backfire.

Hope you're right to be optimistic about Manny as the DC playcaller, CL. We played a lot of crappy offenses in those 2016-2018 years that helped pad Manny's numbers. Also, opposing OCs have a lot of tape on his scheme now. With the ACC slowly getting better, his work is a lot harder the second time around.

IMO, the only way Manny survives as HC at Miami is if he keeps hunting for an Alpha DC that he can bring in like Orgeron and Dabo did.

Advertisement
Back