UM announces Feeley as director of S&C, releases statement

View as article
The anecdotal evidence I’ve heard so far has helped me warm up to this hire.

I think the guy deserves a shot. Trust Manny until he gives you a reason not to.
My trust ended today with getting embarrassed on national TV by kids who were "all Miami" plus hiring a "left behind" Temple guy who was essentially unemployed. Manny will get my trust when he earns it and not because he got Golden's recruits to play well. He needs to hire some home runs.....

Advertisement
Can Feeley recruit? Can anybody recruit?

Our best recruiter could be Da GAWD.

Ah, finally found the loser we needed to declare great. Who would Butch had hired at Miami?

Everyone lauded the Felder hire. I’m lead to believe that 99 pct of posters have zero idea what they are talking about

You are probably correct sir, alot of the same posters kept suggesting recruits not come here while coach richt was the headcoach but at the same time get mad and upset when recruits pick other schools, its comedy around here with alot of these wishy washy posters. Must be either gaytor or Fsu fans intentionally doing it cause they cant be that ridiculous. Also we got a lot of posters who have grown up using these nerd recruiting sites as their knowledge base, so they rely soley on star and class rankings, not actual player development and play on the field.

Coach diaz is not worried about those guys who signed elsewhere, we will be alright and consistently be headhunters on defense. That's why jess simpson did solid worl this recruiting cycle, he went out and got guys that wanted to be here, so depth at the d-tackle spots is getting better and staying athletic in their.

Same with coach rumph and banda, they do everything recruiting wise possible besides drop bags. But we didnt do bad in the secondary in last years class and so far this year we got kentra and couch, and emerson might pull the trigger now that the dust has settled. Alot of these guys are only considered elite cause they go camping or because of measurables. Its alot of guys that dont go camping that are not rated that can ball, we'll continue to get them, the main thing coach diaz is going to do is set the standard that we are to play at on both sides of the ball, and change the overall attitude of the team and challenge them to be more mature players in their approach to the game, and pull out of them what they should be on both sides of the ball.

Every guy has a chance now to be one of the best players in college football once they sign, its mostly a mindset, study and workout habits if you want to be elite, when you got to many guys settling for being mediocre, you'll go 7 & 6. The seniors and juniors had no respect for alot of the freshman and sophmore offensive players or the underacheivers, you can hardly find any of them that could be considered hardworkers except Blades, dee wiggins and brevin jordan, the rest have to step up, come this year, guys like Blades will start stepping up and challenging guys more, same with the 3 amigo linebacker corps and garvin.

They are going to continue to set out to punish the offensive guys until they either quit or raise their level of play. When guys become seniors they comeback not trying to tolerate slackers. This is why on the offensive side of the ball, their will be no more excuses, got a whole new offensive staff coming in, with that many brand new sets of eyes and new evals, you either gone standout or get left behind, going to be real fun now, cause guys have to compete now or ride the bench!

Diaz message has been accountability since he got here and after watching this video the hire makes even more sense.

Advertisement
I don't proclaim to know anything about S&C, but FIU to Ball State to South Carolina (assistant) to Temple seems like a solid career progression. If he doesn't know anyone in the game, sometimes you don't get fast tracked to the huge universities.

He's also 36, he's still a young coach.

Manny Diaz knows how important this hire is - he's not ******* around. I'll trust his judgement on this one for now.
My thinking and hope as well ☝️

The University of Miami has hired David Feeley as its new Director of Strength and Conditioning for Football, head coach Manny Diaz announced Saturday.

Feeley comes to UM after spending the past two seasons at Temple University. Overall, Feeley is entering his 14th season in college football.

“David is an outstanding coach who has a strong track record of motivating players to help them reach their full potential,” Diaz said. “The culture we’re putting into place and the tone we set for the upcoming season starts in the weight room when our players return to campus. That’s why this hire was so critical and I’m thrilled to welcome David to the Miami program.”

Feeley helped the Owls compile a 15-11 record and advance to two bowls in his two seasons in Philadelphia. Prior to his stint at Temple, Feeley served as assistant strength and conditioning coach at the University of South Carolina for one season, where the Gamecocks earned a bid to the Birmingham Bowl.

Before arriving at South Carolina, Feeley worked as the director of football strength and conditioning at Ball State from 2011-15. During that time, he helped the Cardinals earn two bowl appearances and also assisted with the women's basketball team that made three consecutive NIT appearances.

From 2008-2010 Feeley was the assistant strength and conditioning coach at FIU. In 2010, he helped guide the Panthers to a 7-6 record and a win in the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl -- the first bowl win in program history. Feeley also assisted with women's tennis, softball and baseball during his three years at FIU.

Feeley began his professional career as an intern at Rutgers and South Florida before becoming the strength and conditioning graduate assistant for football, women's track, softball and baseball at UNLV from 2006-07.

A native of Brick, N.J., Feeley is a 2004 graduate of Plymouth State University, where he was a member of the football team for four years, serving as team captain during his senior season.

Reading this bio was lowkey depressing. Hopefully he does a good job though. I'll give everybody a chance this year.

You guys really care that much about not getting a "big name" at this position? Oh I'm sure y'all thought Big Gus would turn us into a Sec school eh? I bet Temple players were in better condition than ours!
Never liked the Gus hire. His background was about180 degrees away from Hatch school. His mentor was a HIT guru who even Incorporated slowing the bar down. Good for some populations of people, but not for D1 football players.

Advertisement
You guys are so funny.

What kind of experience do you want this guy to have?

2 national championships
3 Super Bowls
5 time world weightlifting champion?

Cmon , let’s be real

How could Manny ***** up the hiring the buffed redneck from Louisiana?

Well let's see how this former FIU softball and tennis trainer works out at UM. I can only imagine how bad the negative recruiting is going to be about UM S&C program being run by Tennis weight trainer..

Go Canes

Advertisement
So we have gone back to “this is how we did it at Temple” after brief “this is how we did it at uga”. When do we do like we did it at Miami. Manny is losing the fans faster than Mark did. BBB

Maybe Feely can watch from outside the weight room and then it will be just like when we had a "Miami guy" as the SC.

I don’t know **** about S&C coaches...didn’t know the Hester dude until it was discussed here.
I have no idea if this is a good hire or not so I’ll wait to see the results.

Advertisement
Paging the guys who love everyone we hire! Get in here, and convince me this is a great hire. I want to be convinced.

And don’t show me a generic footballpoop tweet that says two coaches who didn’t take him to their new jobs love him.

Your wasting time. Nobody on here is an expert at SC. Nobody knew who the **** Tommy Moffitt was until he started churning out freaks at UM on a yearly basis. We just have to take the risk and hope this guy is the goods. There is no data on an SC coach like there is on position coaches. For all we know he could be the next big thing he was just an unknown wallowing away at Temple waiting some someone to discover him.

All the “top schools” have their guy so they aren’t in the market. It’s a crap shoot.

Go look up mjackson posts today. He has some first hand knowledge of results. Sounded good to me.

I know 2 players from Temple that came to an FCS program.. they should have been better in all aspects including S&C if for nothing else than resources alone at temple compared to ETSU. ETSU has an excellent S&C coach in Allan Johnson and he doesn’t hold back and these guys came in ahead.. similar to guys at Alabama vs Miami.. they’re ahead of our players to start with. It’s just how they recruit.

That being said.. all I can say about it is they had good technique in Olympic style lifts that we did, worked hard, and were in excellent running shape from day 1. I’m sure he’s a good coach.

It’ll be an upgrade if he shows up. Apparently Felder didn’t. And if he’s certified because apparently Swasey wasn’t. It’s also an upgrade because he was director of S&C somewhere prior to Miami and Felder wasn’t.

Then we can talk differences and what impact that may have.. primarily Olympic lifting for Feeley vs HIT for Felder and John Thomas and the old school Penn State style stuff which is basically moving as much weight for as many reps as possible. I don’t know much about it but people have called for the Hatch style or background at Miami for years and it supposedly fits Miami better... even listened to Kurt Hester’s podcast and he basically said the same thing and how it fits better in the southeast for the style of athletes.

S&C is probably the most over analyzed and over reacted hire of any. Sure it’s one of the most important but it’s also one where your track record doesn’t mean a whole lot. It’s a cutting edge profession. Who is gonna study and stay up to date more? Who is gonna get the most out of the athletes? Just being at a big school and having beasts doesn’t mean you’re a great S&C coach. You could just be getting the biggest guys or best athletes to start with

Is he qualified?
Does he incorporate best programming for building explosive athletes?
Is he able to develop relationships with the players?
Does he have that dog in him? Fire in his belly?

If yes to all, he has a chance to help us. If any of these are missing, Manny screwed up.

Advertisement
Back