UF and FSU Defensive Talent

Temple fielded better defenses while AG and Dorito were there.. Why is that? Surely they didn't have better talent or were better coached

nevermind the fact they coached against other WACK mac competition...that has NO bearing on the convo I assume
What I'm saying is that AGs played against equal talent and fielded decent defenses at Temple.. Although we're not close to FSU or UF, the other teams we've played haven't had better talent yet they've managed to rip our defense to shreads

Last edited:
Advertisement
Who is expecting our defense to be as good as UF or FSU????

Obviously our talent isn't there to be elite or even good. We just wanted a respectable top 50 defense that could slow down offenses like Pitt, VT, DUke, etc. Why is this so hard for some of you to understand?

Two things are clearly evident from the FSU and UF defense watching them compared to ours.
1. They are simply better. Talent wise they are on a different level than most of our defensive players. Watch any of them make a tackle in open space and it's clearly evident.
2. They are in a position to make plays. Both teams are not afraid to bring pressure and let their DBs go 1v1 on the outside. There is none of this contain or "bend, but don't break" BS.

I wish we could all agree with this. It's both. (1) The coaches need to get the right players on the field and put them in position to makes plays, but at the same time (2) the talent they currently have to work with is simply horrendous.

No one is defending D'Onofrio, and no one is claiming that we have elite talent. There are problems with both. We could avoid 300 new threads this week if people would just concede both points.

Temple fielded better defenses while AG and Dorito were there.. Why is that? Surely they didn't have better talent or were better coached

nevermind the fact they coached against other WACK mac competition...that has NO bearing on the convo I assume
What I'm saying is that AGs played against equal talent and fielded decent defenses.. Although we're not close to FSU or UF, the other teams we've played haven't had better talent yet they've managed to rip our defense to shreads
Their final year at Temple (when they had a top 20 defense) they had a pretty good talent advantage with Wilkerson (first round pick, already an elite lineman in the NFL), Jarret (second round pick), and a few other guys that were drafted or picked up by NFL teams.

Either we have an elite defense because it's comprised of 5 stars or it's ok for our players to look (not be) worse than Navy's? Got it.

When some of UF's former 5 stars were asked to do what our guys are doing right now, they looked so bad (players looking like less than their talent level) that they had to scrap the system.

All I'm saying is that it's not the chicken or the egg situation everybody is making it out to be, because both are flawed.

Advertisement
Either we have an elite defense because it's comprised of 5 stars or it's ok for our players to look (not be) worse than Navy's? Got it.

When some of UF's former 5 stars were asked to do what our guys are doing right now, they looked so bad (players looking like less than their talent level) that they had to scrap the system.

All I'm saying is that it's not the chicken or the egg situation everybody is making it out to be, because both are flawed.

I agree. I'm just not going to sit here and pick apart 59, 30, 31, etc. What's the point? It's not their fault they are out there. I prefer to focus on what *can* be adjusted. My hope is the coaches are practical and we see some changes (no, I don't think any staff changes will occur).

Last edited:

Good point.

UF had 5 stars trying to do exactly what D is asking our players to do and failed. So what did they do? They adjusted the scheme to fit the talent and skill-sets of their players.

The same thing happened at FSU this season. Pruitt wanted to run the 3-4 2-gap system similar to Bama at FSU, but after a couple weeks of poor defensive play he scrapped that system and simplified things for his players. The result was a vastly improved defense than it was early in the season.

Our coaching staff is doing our players no favors by asking them to do things they're incapable of. Especially a guy like Chick who's beefed up so much he's pretty much useless other than catching an o-lineman with his chest.

Good point.

UF had 5 stars trying to do exactly what D is asking our players to do and failed. So what did they do? They adjusted the scheme to fit the talent and skill-sets of their players.

The same thing happened at FSU this season. Pruitt wanted to run the 3-4 2-gap system similar to Bama at FSU, but after a couple weeks of poor defensive play he scrapped that system and simplified things for his players. The result was a vastly improved defense than it was early in the season.

Our coaching staff is doing our players no favors by asking them to do things they're incapable of. Especially a guy like Chick who's beefed up so much he's pretty much useless other than catching an o-lineman with his chest.

Exactly. The Noles looked suspect on defense early in the year but changed things up after the BC game and they've been great since then.

A key to being a good coach is knowing your personnel and being able to adapt and change when necessary.

Advertisement
The problem is people compare our defensive talent against top tier teams in order to defend our actual performance versus bottom of the barrel opponents. Many of us have a problem with giving up incredible amounts of yardage and/or points to Pitt, VaTech, Va, etc. and all we get back in return is how ****** our talent is. Everyone knows we haven't brought in the best, but we also aren't playing the best! I refuse to believe that we don't have the talent on the defensive side of the ball to keep Pitt from racking up 500 yards and 30+ points. No_****ing_Way.

If anyone here thinks anyone besides Perryman (Beast) we would have anyone start for the Gators or Noles, they are blind. We are clearly not very talented on defense at all. None of our D-Backs or D-line would could come close to getting plying time. On Offense, we have good WR's, 1 good rB and that is it also. All of WR's would start for Florida, not o for the Noles, but would be in the rotation.

tracy and denzel. but their players are also 2-3 years in system. aqm, mccord, burns, etc will get there. fsu is 3 deep at every position

Advertisement
Florida is playing a true freshman at corner and he is doing just fine. Safety is considered a weakness on their team after losing both starters from last year. Tracy Howard is a 5 star soph and Gunter isn't a bad player.

FSU is working in a new system which happens to be a huge schematic change from Stoops' philosophy and 2 of their best players have changed position with Joyner and Jones moving down to corner and a rush end, respectively.

Is the talent better? Sure. Is our talent better than 50% of the team ranked above us? Absolutely and 50% is remarkably conservative. Stop it guys. It's been 3 years. If the talent isn't there (and it is) they can't blame anyone.

Advertisement
Florida is playing a true freshman at corner and he is doing just fine. Safety is considered a weakness on their team after losing both starters from last year. Tracy Howard is a 5 star soph and Gunter isn't a bad player.

FSU is working in a new system which happens to be a huge schematic change from Stoops' philosophy and 2 of their best players have changed position with Joyner and Jones moving down to corner and a rush end, respectively.

Is the talent better? Sure. Is our talent better than 50% of the team ranked above us? Absolutely and 50% is remarkably conservative. Stop it guys. It's been 3 years. If the talent isn't there (and it is) they can't blame anyone.

What?

Lets not forget, Florida' and FSU's scheme is less complex than ours, aggressive and puts its players in position to make plays. That plays a huge factor.

lmao. you know nothing about Jeremy Pruitts defense if you believe that statement.

prior to 2012, this team had nothing to work with. we are relying on a true fresh with skinny legs who got here last minute to be our leading pass rusher. lets be real.

Both teams have outrecruited us for years and years.

How stars DON'T matter? We had 3(3 is including this one) of the greatest classes ever under Golden according to posters everywhere.

Compare our recruiting classes with Duke's over the past five years. It's not even close.

And the reason I bring up Duke is because they are who we should be beating. I don't expect to beat FSU right now with this team.

Advertisement
Back