UF and FSU Defensive Talent

Scheme or no scheme. How you can watch this game and not see the talent level difference on defense?

the play Watkins just made on Freeman was the same play Freeman runs 95 yards on against our safeties whiff tackles.

Advertisement
Scheme or no scheme. How you can watch this game and not see the talent level difference on defense?

the play Watkins just made on Freeman was the same play Freeman runs 95 yards on against our safeties whiff tackles.

I thought the same exact thing, refreshing to see a safety do his job. Kid didn't give an inch.

There's no disagreement with OP, the best issue I have had this year with our D is the interior DL. There is no pressure no getting off blocks to stop the run or pressure the QB.

Watching the UNC Dook game, UNC interior Dl are getting off the blocks to stop the QB draws. There is none of that with our defense. I hope things change next year and we have an emerging presence at those two critical positions.

Advertisement
How do we play press man coverage with our LB and Safeties? Ever think about that genius????????? It isn't just about your corners. Do you want KC Rodgers, T Cornelius, AJ Highsmith, Gaines man up against a WR, RB, or TE? No you don't and that is why we don't do it as often. We are mismatched all over the field, especially against these spread offenses. Add in these guys in man situations with no pressure equals routessssssssssss

Both of these Defenses have straight 5 stars across the board at DB and DL. That is when you can play that style of defense.

Your secondary consist of

Bush
Jenkins
Howard
Gunter
Crawford
Burns

LB's

Cornilues-Former Safety
Arm-former Safety
Perryman

I find it hard to believe we can't play press man to man in against ACC offenses.

The talent is clearly different but how can anybody watch our defense and think that we're doing any of the stuff UF or FSU is doing schematically?

How do we play press man coverage with our LB and Safeties? Ever think about that genius????????? It isn't just about your corners. Do you want KC Rodgers, T Cornelius, AJ Highsmith, Gaines man up against a WR, RB, or TE? No you don't and that is why we don't do it as often. We are mismatched all over the field, especially against these spread offenses. Add in these guys in man situations with no pressure equals routessssssssssss

Both of these Defenses have straight 5 stars across the board at DB and DL. That is when you can play that style of defense.

Your secondary consist of

Bush
Jenkins
Howard
Gunter
Crawford
Burns

LB's

Cornilues-Former Safety
Arm-former Safety
Perryman

I find it hard to believe we can't play press man to man in against ACC offenses.

Db's are good, with the exception of highsmith and Rodgers who unfortunately log huge minutes. Those two are the main culprits in giving up plays in the secondary.

Our other issue comes in the form we don't always use a nickel package and have guys like Cornelius/McCord/Gilbert covering WR's in some ****ed design flaw of a defense.

deon bush is not 100%. with him and jenkins next year and carter a little more seasoned, this safeties will be better.

Advertisement
Ok so in three years Golden has been unable to get Rodgers, Highsmith, Gaines, Armbrister, Cornelius, and Green off the field.

Bringing in talent is in his job description, this isn't his first year here. You're mad these bums play? It's his fault.

That's true, but we can't change that right now.

When you in it, you IN it.

All we can do is ramp up recruiting, and we seem to be doing that with the 2014 class.

Temple fielded better defenses while AG and Dorito were there.. Why is that? Surely they didn't have better talent or were better coached

Advertisement
Either we have an elite defense because it's comprised of 5 stars or it's ok for our players to look (not be) worse than Navy's? Got it.

When some of UF's former 5 stars were asked to do what our guys are doing right now, they looked so bad (players looking like less than their talent level) that they had to scrap the system.

Advertisement
Temple fielded better defenses while AG and Dorito were there.. Why is that? Surely they didn't have better talent or were better coached

nevermind the fact they coached against other WACK mac competition...that has NO bearing on the convo I assume

3rd and 6, Florida goes man underneath. We would be running some BS zone and jameis would hit someone open over the middle

Two things are clearly evident from the FSU and UF defense watching them compared to ours.
1. They are simply better. Talent wise they are on a different level than most of our defensive players. Watch any of them make a tackle in open space and it's clearly evident.
2. They are in a position to make plays. Both teams are not afraid to bring pressure and let their DBs go 1v1 on the outside. There is none of this contain or "bend, but don't break" BS.

You can't really have a reasonable discussion about our lack of talent here, because most posters are into schtick, not rational discussion. It's easier to say the coaches suck. There is something to that, but it cuts out all other factors. It's tiresome as **** to listen to it. I'm no happier than anyone else about our defensive failure. But, it's much more than "D'Onofrio sucks".

Advertisement
Back