Tyrique Stevenson is coming back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
It’s almost like I was beating this drum when he was getting shredded on here. Put him in physical man and its a wrap. Having him play mostly bail out coverage was just criminal. On top of that a couple of those catches was when he was sick as **** against Msu. Puking on the sideline. Another time a player was asked to play when they shouldn’t have.

He was (most of the season) our most physical player on defense and best DB. Vs Alabama he was literally the only player who came to play. I bet we have 2 more losses if it wasn’t for him and some of his plays on 3rd and long.

Advertisement
FWIW We had a ton of kids leave for the NFL and do so with more college eligibility left. ONLY one got drafted. Fifteen Georgia kids got drafted and the two other transfers went in the first and second rounds. Had Tyrique gone, he was projected to be at worst a 3/4. He choose to stay, because he’s a smart kid. We all lament the stupidity of the ones who run for the door and lose out in the process. Stevenson should be celebrated by us all. Hopefully he’s an all American and first rounder. Hopefully Mario can use his smarts to teach other kids going forward. Miami kid winning

It’s almost like I was beating this drum when he was getting shredded on here. Put him in physical man and its a wrap. Having him play mostly bail out coverage was just criminal. On top of that a couple of those catches was when he was sick as **** against Msu. Puking on the sideline. Another time a player was asked to play when they shouldn’t have.
He’s good. He’s not a 1 but he’s a good player

This will be an unpopular take, but I feel that Ivey would excel in the same type of coverage.

When I went to search for a thread to put the tweet in, I spelled it “Tyreke,” which apparently I have a habit of doing, bc several of my posts popped up. This is what I said after Bama game:

Funny thing is the only 2 guys who looked like they could physically match up with Bama were Tyreke and Ivey, and they were bailing all night (as usual). Ivey isn’t good, but this system does him no favors. I get they don’t have the makeup speed to keep up with the Bama receivers, but we got shredded anyways. At least let them try to jam at the LOS. I hope we see them jam vs APP where our DL and blitzes should be able to get home.

That bail coverage was Ivey’s kryptonite too…

Larger picture, should be interesting to see which kid we wrote off has the biggest leap this year with a new staff & scheme in place.
LMFAO

Advertisement
FWIW We had a ton of kids leave for the NFL and do so with more college eligibility left. ONLY one got drafted. Fifteen Georgia kids got drafted and the two other transfers went in the first and second rounds. Had Tyrique gone, he was projected to be at worst a 3/4. He choose to stay, because he’s a smart kid. We all lament the stupidity of the ones who run for the door and lose out in the process. Stevenson should be celebrated by us all. Hopefully he’s an all American and first rounder. Hopefully Mario can use his smarts to teach other kids going forward. Miami kid winning
Yeah I’m not sure how difficult a sell it was for us to have him come back but I remember when he got here he said he wasn’t staying the entire time

So this was our most important recruit

Advertisement

I just rewatched the NC State, Pitt and FSU games. I'll admit I was focusing on our LBs on defense and TVD/WRs on offense. From what I saw regarding Stevenson, he was playing hurt against the Wolfpack and they exploited it. But he played lights out at Pitt and his interception definitely changed the nature of the game. I love how he tracked that down and Pickett had no idea he was even there. ... I don't know if Travis even looked his way against FSU.

Kid is the goods. We're very lucky to have him and that he came back instead of turning pro as a 4th round pick. I really hope he is fully health and has more Pitt-type games, because then I could see him getting into the first round with all the other athletic capabilities he has.

Advertisement
Tyrique is hands down the best cover corner on the team right now & is without question our starting Field Corner.

With the emergence of Isaiah Dunson this Spring camp & DP Jr, Jaden Harris coming in the Fall & Al Jr also having the flexibility to play Nickel as well, it opens up a potential competition for the starting spots at Boundary & Nickel.

If everybody stays healthy, we could potentially have enough depth to have a legit 2-deep in the Dime package, provided nobody is moved to Safety or any other positions.

It will be interesting to see if there’s a competition & how exactly they plan to use the rotations.

Tyrique is hands down the best cover corner on the team right now & is without question our starting Field Corner.

With the emergence of Isaiah Dunson this Spring camp & DP Jr, Jaden Harris coming in the Fall & Al Jr also having the flexibility to play Nickel as well, it opens up a potential competition for the starting spots at Boundary & Nickel.

If everybody stays healthy, we could potentially have enough depth to have a legit 2-deep in the Dime package, provided nobody is moved to Safety or any other positions.

It will be interesting to see if there’s a competition & how exactly they plan to use the rotations.

Is Dunson fast enough? He was flat out smoked by an FSU WR last year. Could have just been a balance thing. But led me to start questioning his athletic ability. ... I believe in Stevenson, Blades and Porter. After that, I have questions, do not see a legit 2-deep at this point. Really hope the freshmen can push the crap out of the older kids.

Freak is a boundary corner with press man skills, great athletic ability, size and tackling ability.

Thats a skillset that translates into the NFL easily. Seeing how some of the corner played in the spring game (hint: they played really well to my surprise), Addaes coaching will enable the opening of Stevenson Island.

With the emergence of Isaiah Dunson this Spring camp & DP Jr, Jaden Harris coming in the Fall & Al Jr also having the flexibility to play Nickel as well, it opens up a potential competition for the starting spots at Boundary & Nickel
I know you are the DB guru in here, I genuinely had the feeling our corners were night and day compared to what they played last season. Tackling was much better and they mirrored releases and routes on a really good level.

Dont get me wrong, the receivers didnt have their best day, but the DBs were a standout group to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back