Tyrell Lyons

Do you really not understand that the areas you speak of, Jax, Gainsville, Tally, are not exactly pro-Cane areas?

When Northrup got his FSU offer, he was gone. You do have limited resources, you can't put in a ton of work for kids that are huge UF/FSU leans. Especially ones in N Florida because of the travel/expenses involved.

Dont misunderstand me.. I dont support Northrupp stating Miami didnt come to enough of his games. I think that's female stuff, showing love and all that mess. I am old school you committ and your done.

However by me living here up this way I know what the perceptions are. Perception during the late 90's and early 2000's (Miami was really strong) players from N.Florida were going to UF and FSU to play early.

For example Trouble Coles played as a true freshman in 1996 William McCray as well (FSU). They already knew that if they would have went to Miami that would not have happened.

A team mate of mine Lito Sheppard (huge gator fan) had a Miami offer. Played as a true freshman at UF. Gaffney's father and Uncle 'one of the first black QB as UF Don Gaffney' so he went to UF.

I think UM took Carl Walker , around town he was known as a big time hitter and was that at UM but never seen the field other than special teams which is fair he wasnt that good a safety more LB type.

My point is N.East Fla is some what UF/FSU territory but alot of that is because the perception is that you can play early at these schools versus
Miami who is bias toward S.Fla talent.

This is the perception up here and the area recruiter Mike Barrow knows it and is working hard to change it. Another major issue was Randy Shannon as a recruiter. U have heard many kids in S.Fla say Coach Shannon just didnt recruit me hard so I went...... That three year era didnt make it any better.

No disrespect to S.Fla football but the entire state is rich with talent I have confidence that Golden will make a presence in N.East Fla he is working the Orlando area pretty hard as we speak.

Folks in the Tally area are still salty about how they perceive Greg Threatt was treated while at Miami. I dont know the story on that one I dont live in the Big Bend.

FYI Clemson takes a heap of kids out of N.East Florida as well and they arent even in the state.

Yeah, but Clemson is a southern school, Miami is not. I've been following recruiting in the state for a quarter of a century, and I've noticed how the north Florida kids like to go to the southern colleges. I think it's a cultural thing. A kid in the panhandle is going to be more comfortable at FSU, Alabama or Auburn before he feels at home in Miami. Same with Jacksonville, probably. My theory, and it is just a theory, is that the kids from southern towns, whether it's the small towns in north Florida or bigger cities like Jax, just want to go to a school that's part of the south.

I might be wrong, but it's what I've observed over the years. To many kids upstate, south Florida is a foreign country, I suppose.

We used to get kids more easily from Texas than we did from the panhandle of Florida.

During the years I've followed UM football, we've had a handful of Jacksonville kids that were, more or less, stars: Tom Silky Sullivan in the late '60's, Willie Smith, A-A TE in the mid-80's, and maybe Carl Walker. Walker and Kevin Kirkeide seem to be the biggest names we have gotten in the past 20 years and neither did much at UM. We also got Alan Hall who I think was from the Jacksonville area and he was a bust at QB. That was back about '89 or so.

Maybe something to that. Carl Walker wasnt really concerned a star around town reputation of being a big hitter but ZERO cover skills or ability to tackle in space.

I would concur with the panhandle area (Big Bend) I just think it's a mindset here that Miami is S.Fla I shouldnt go there. Believe me its being sold to players by coaches here as well. You would be suprised.

Advertisement
People like 904 are good examples of why you don't let black people have the internets.

Now it rears its hate the racist biggot.. Your the guy who boos Jacory Harris and hated Randy Shannon because of skin color. Your the type of fan that runs kids like Bridgewater and Eli Rodgers offf because they dont want to be a part of a racist fan base.

All the comments here have been football related and interesting points of view, Now we have a guy like you. CLOWN

So it's established that most NFla kids aren't fans of Miami, high school coaches push kids to other schools, and UF and FSU negatively recruit us. That is the reason we don't spend a lot of time up there because for the most part it's a waste of time and resources

Diego, some may suggest that it's a waste of time, but it sure as **** won't ever change unless we get some presence in other areas.

I don't see this as a black hole, but as an opportunity.

I know we don't have the same per capita top players as in 305, but now and then, we do have some notables. Emmit Smith is right down the road, and we have players now in the NFL.

Does Miami NEED a heavy presence in other areas outside of the 305 area? Bet urass.

Is recruiting outside of the 305 a waste of time?

Personally, I don't think so.

People like 904 are good examples of why you don't let black people have the internets.

Now it rears its hate the racist biggot.. Your the guy who boos Jacory Harris and hated Randy Shannon because of skin color. Your the type of fan that runs kids like Bridgewater and Eli Rodgers offf because they dont want to be a part of a racist fan base.

All the comments here have been football related and interesting points of view, Now we have a guy like you. CLOWN

If you would like to appear intelligent, you might want to work on your grammar. You type like the welfare junkie you are.

Advertisement
I don't think anyone is saying abandon the area completely but facts are facts. Most people up there are UF/FSU fans, high school kids steer players to those schools, and we get negatively recruited heavily up there. We are behind the 8 ball on almost every high profile kid up that way. You have to monitor interest and then pick and chose which ones to go after. Why allocate a lot of resources to a place where the kids aren't likely to end up at the U and is 6 hours away when our back yard is loaded with talent?

2 kids from those areas that we had committed, Northrup and Hollifield, didn't end up here.

And now with all the camps, Jr days, etc that Golden has, if kids up that way are interested in us they should come on down and let the staff know.

Too funny....Tyrell Lyons commits to FSU today. F*ck JVille . abandon the area. its a complete waste of time

Advertisement
Too funny....Tyrell Lyons commits to FSU today. F*ck JVille . abandon the area. its a complete waste of time

Lmao exactly, other posters telling us to consider the kid cuz he sounded really into Miami but we knew better. Jville is a waste of time.

Again Tyrell Lyons is from down south ... Transferred into First Coast, and again U dont want this kid he didnt stand out anyways.. But he is a 305 kid.

Again Tyrell Lyons is from down south ... Transferred into First Coast, and again U dont want this kid he didnt stand out anyways.. But he is a 305 kid.

The staff offered him so they must have liked him but again I don't care if he from Miami its been proven again going to Jville is a waste of our time.

If you would like to appear intelligent, you might want to work on your grammar. You type like the welfare junkie you are.

You 2...cut the bull****.

Advertisement

AaronRodgersJewBeard
You 2...cut the bull****.

Blatent racism ... from this guy therefore this comment should be directed towards AaronRodgersJewBeard

Advertisement
Back