Tyler Van Dyke comparison

Hopefully he's more athletic than Matt Ryan. Also agree, no need to start the hype train and crown him a Greentree All-American before steps on campus. That said, kid will be another talented piece for Enos to work with.

Latest highlight is 4 TD-performance in title game.

No one is crowning him yet. We won’t know what he’s really about until he’s in a game with live bullets.

The comparison was only about physical traits, playing style and background.

Advertisement
Rush didn't have a strong arm though. Worlds of difference in that area. But agree w/the athletic testing.
I agree, Van Dyke's Baseball background is evident in his pure velocity with his throws. Rush is a NFL QB & had a very solid college career & they have a similar play style imo.

TVD has a way higher upside, I just compared them because they have comparable athleticism & physical traits, plus TVD will essentially play in the same Offense that Rush did lol

Hopefully he's more athletic than Matt Ryan. Also agree, no need to start the hype train and crown him a Greentree All-American before steps on campus. That said, kid will be another talented piece for Enos to work with.

Latest highlight is 4 TD-performance in title game.

You want him to be more athletic than a borderline potential Hall of Fame quarterback?

Matt Ryan is not lightning quick, or super fast, but he’s athletic enough to run and get your first down every once in a while, and is mobile enough and athletic enough to throw well on a quick roll out, and throw on a flat run to either side. That’s something that a lot not of quarterbacks can’t do.

I’m not even saying that he’s a top five or top 10 quarterback. But people need to understand what they’re talking about when they talk about athleticism.

There’s only one Lamar Jackson. There was only one Mike Vick. Just because you’re not like them doesn’t mean you’re not athletic.

If he has Ryan’s athleticism and quarterbacking skills we’re going to be in really good shape. That’s a big “if”

You want him to be more athletic than a borderline potential Hall of Fame quarterback?

Matt Ryan is not lightning quick, or super fast, but he’s athletic enough to run and get your first down every once in a while, and is mobile enough and athletic enough to throw well on a quick roll out, and throw on a flat run to either side. That’s something that a lot not of quarterbacks can’t do.

I’m not even saying that he’s a top five or top 10 quarterback. But people need to understand what they’re talking about when they talk about athleticism.

There’s only one Lamar Jackson. There was only one Mike Vick. Just because you’re not like them doesn’t mean you’re not athletic.

If he has Ryan’s athleticism and quarterbacking skills we’re going to be in really good shape. That’s a big “if”
If Van Dyke ends up the third overall pick in the NFL draft, we’re definitely in good shape.

Last edited:
I think he has a real chance at the #2 job. Kosi and Tate are transfer risks and Matocha is a developmental guy. Van Dyke has the advantage of already having played so much under center.
Under center???

PRO STYLE BRO forever huh D?

Advertisement

Advertisement
DISCLAIMER: No one is saying he will have the same kind of career. This is simply a comparison of traits, background and playing style.

With that said, there are a lot of similarities between Tyler Van Dyke and Matt Ryan. The main difference I see is high school offense, since Matt Ryan played in a triple-option. But both guys are big, athletic pro-style passers with similar offers out of high school.

Tyler Van Dyke
  • 6'4, 212, 4.91 forty, 4.28 shuttle
    • Combine as HS junior
  • Played at Northeast private school (Suffield Academy, CT)
  • Played football, basketball and baseball
  • 21 TDs and 5 INTs as a senior
Matt Ryan
  • 6'4, 228, 4.94 forty, 4.54 shuttle
    • NFL combine
  • Played at Northeast private school (William Penn Charter, Philadelphia, PA)
  • Played football, basketball and baseball
  • 15 TDs and 2 INTs as a senior

I can see it from a physical standpoint

Anyone else liken him to Carson Palmer as a comparison?

Palmer if I remember correctly, could throw the ball deep. & he didn't have the velocity like Aaron Rodgers even. But he could air it out and just fast enough to let Chad Johnson & T. J. Houshmandzadeh, be one of the top wr duo's for a while. Palmer also posted a decent 40 yard dash time I remember from the combine. Less agile, but Carson could escape pressure and accelerate a little up the field.

And Willis McGahee. Analysts before his injury were debating that he could be the #1 pick in the nfl draft. Like Clinton Portis said he would drink liquor during the pre-game in the pro's. I'd imagine the Hurricanes drank up and cypherd the locker room, before and after. Like Percy Harvin said he would puff as long as he could remember when he played football.

Advertisement
Advertisement
**** good bump! I don’t think we really Appreciate just how good that throw to Smith was on 3rd down of the first drive right after the Pitt td. It was a Dime in pretty good coverage that totally changed the momentum and complexion on the game IMO. I thought the TVD was good, but I’m blown away by his Moxie, Swag, and Arm talent. It definitely has infected the team as well. That game was setting up to be at worst a Pitt rout and at least a Pitt win after their first drive td.

Advertisement
Back