Tyler Van Dyke comparison

DMoney

D-Moni
Administrator
DISCLAIMER: No one is saying he will have the same kind of career. This is simply a comparison of traits, background and playing style.

With that said, there are a lot of similarities between Tyler Van Dyke and Matt Ryan. The main difference I see is high school offense, since Matt Ryan played in a triple-option. But both guys are big, athletic pro-style passers with similar offers out of high school.

Tyler Van Dyke
  • 6'4, 212, 4.91 forty, 4.28 shuttle
    • Combine as HS junior
  • Played at Northeast private school (Suffield Academy, CT)
  • Played football, basketball and baseball
  • 21 TDs and 5 INTs as a senior
Matt Ryan
  • 6'4, 228, 4.94 forty, 4.54 shuttle
    • NFL combine
  • Played at Northeast private school (William Penn Charter, Philadelphia, PA)
  • Played football, basketball and baseball
  • 15 TDs and 2 INTs as a senior

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think he has a real chance at the #2 job. Kosi and Tate are transfer risks and Matocha is a developmental guy. Van Dyke has the advantage of already having played so much under center.
Going to be an interesting QB room next year. Thanks!

Advertisement
Biggest stat that stands out?

4.28 shuttle - combine that with a 4.9 40 and it's on par, if not better, than some of the DBs mentioned on this board. Do you really want DBs who are slower than a HS pocket passer QB? I don't.

Same shuttle as Baker Mayfield at the NFL combine.

I like VD a lot. Footwork a bit inconsistent but cannon for an arm, pretty accurate, and can throw on the run. Best case JW15 keeps tearing it up, gets drafted after 2020 and VD transitions as starter vs Bama as a redshirt with a few games played in 2020: wagner & UAB games specifically.

Pull up Allen’s (2015 Arky) Info who was polished up by Enos. That’s who he reminds me of - somewhat. A guy who can grasp Enos’ concepts and diagnose plays fast enough to beat conceptual weaknesses against certain defenses.

Advertisement
We need to let him get to Greentree and compete before we crown him. Size wise - biggest since Kyle Wright? Not counting the kid that Stephen Morris beat out and then got hurt... and then transferred -

Advertisement
He's the kind of recruit that just needs a good (to great) QB coach to help clean up a few things...then we are talking big time potential results.
He could run varied offenses effectively IMO - way more athletic than given credit for...

Last edited:
Decent chance Enos isn’t with Miami by the time this kid is in position to start anyways.

Gonna take a little more than one good game against UL’s110+ ranked passing defense to think he magically figured things out.

Advertisement
Back