TX to hire new AD for real coaching HC search; Strong's done

Cane2

Band
Banned
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Texas athletic director Steve Patterson has been fired after two rocky years on the job, pushed out after clashing with fans and donors upset with his aggressive push to raise money for the nation’s wealthiest athletic department, a person with direct knowledge of the decision said Tuesday.

Patterson met with new university President Greg Fenves on Tuesday morning, according to the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the move had not been announced. The school did not immediately release details of the meeting or Patterson’s departure.

Patterson has overseen two popular hires at Texas — football coach Charlie Strong and men’s basketball coach Shaka Smart, both now in charge of underperforming programs — but has been unable to win over fans and university donors and has had several meetings with Fenves to soften his approach to business.

Patterson raised football ticket prices after a 6-7 season in 2014, and instituted a “loyalty” program for tickets that rewarded some long-time donors. It also pushed some long-time season ticket-holders out of their seats.

Patterson came to Texas from Arizona State, but most of his career was as an executive in professional sports, notably the NBA, and he struggled to connect with university officials and supporters in the same way as the man he replaced, DeLoss Dodds.

Patterson also refused to engage in a breach-of-contract lawsuit filed by Oklahoma State against Texas offensive line coach Joe Wickline. Texas was not named as a party in the case, which is still on-going, but led to Strong and his staff being subjected to embarrassing depositions to describe who calls plays.

By last weekend’s home-opening game against Rice, a plane flew around the stadium with a banner “Patterson Must Go.”

Advertisement
either Al Golden isn't going anywhere with 7-8 wins (a given) or they're already got their man in place to the helm at UM, namely Butch Davis (unlikely)

Advertisement
Strong isn't going anywhere. Dude can coach. Texas was in Shambles. He will get the proper time to fix it.....which he will.

Strong isn't going anywhere. Dude can coach. Texas was in Shambles. He will get the proper time to fix it.....which he will.

Let's see if you're still saying that after he gets worked by Cal this week. Dude may not even last the remainder of the season. Vegas already has Cal as a 7 point favorites. In Austin.

Last edited:
Now it's Blake's turn to be fired along with Al so a real AD and coach can be hired

Last edited:
Advertisement

Let's see if you're still saying that after he gets worked by Cal this week. Dude may not even last the remainder of the season.

You are the "Misery Loves Company" type.....aka Hater. I am not. Yes, UM is trash. It doesn't make me feel better for another program to be trash too.

Charlie Strong is in his second year. ONE full recruiting cycle in. Texas paid him a ton to fix their ship and he will. If it was an easy fix, they would have retained Mack Brown.

Don't be a hater. It will not help our trash program.

Strong isn't going anywhere, at least for another year, you don't consult a coach on firing an AD then all the sudden fire him at the end of the year.

Advertisement

Let's see if you're still saying that after he gets worked by Cal this week. Dude may not even last the remainder of the season.

You are the "Misery Loves Company" type.....aka Hater. I am not. Yes, UM is trash. It doesn't make me feel better for another program to be trash too.

Charlie Strong is in his second year. ONE full recruiting cycle in. Texas paid him a ton to fix their ship and he will. If it was an easy fix, they would have retained Mack Brown.

Not true in the slightest. Unlike all things $EC and a few other programs, I have no ill will toward Texas. In the grand scheme of things they're less annoying nationally when it comes to the huge power programs. I just call it like I see it with Charlie Strong and it seems to pop up a ton around here as he's still propped up by a segment of our miserable (as you've deemed) fanbase as some great coach- even as he fails on the big stage and not only doesn't improve Texas at all but makes it a worse program than he inherited. Being a 7 point dog to freakin' Cal AT HOME should be grounds for dismissal in itself.

Oh Miami is the only one flying banners. It doesn't do nothing they say. Save your money they say. Jerks

Not true in the slightest. Unlike all things $EC and a few other programs, I have no ill will toward Texas. In the grand scheme of things they're less annoying nationally when it comes to the huge power programs. I just call it like I see it with Charlie Strong and it seems to pop up a ton around here as he's still propped up by a segment of our miserable (as you've deemed) fanbase as some great coach- even as he fails on the big stage and not only doesn't improve Texas at all but makes it a worse program than he inherited. Being a 7 point dog to freakin' Cal AT HOME should be grounds for dismissal in itself.
The sucked under mack brown. BYU put up like 600 yards rushing against them.

Advertisement

Sonny, Strong fell for the old: "You got to tear it down to get the right foundation to bring it back up right" mantra of "program builders". Rather than merely tear the culture of detente and malaise methodically that Brown fostered, he brought a wrecking ball to wholesale-ditch good white boys, and some of Texas Football's most solid black ballers who were actual good student athletes.

He will have no signature win this season, and the routs will accumulate to the point of no return to securing shame to the University of Texas proud Football tradition.

Texas Football has revenues streams like an NFL team, and they also won't tolerate an under-performing coach two years in a row, no less that would Jerry Jones or Bob McNair. Strong is done; put a for in it!

The reality is that Texas has hired an AD for the sole purpose of hiring new coaches that can win like today, as in the very next Football season. Current fake UM AD Blake James needs to go back to concentrating on raising millions for the University.

The real issue is when will UM go get a real AD to hire a new Football Coach and a real traditional & dominating Track Coach for its Men's Track team?

Let's see if you're still saying that after he gets worked by Cal this week. Dude may not even last the remainder of the season. Vegas already has Cal as a 7 point favorites. In Austin.

More to do with the fact that Cal has the best, or one of the best, QB prospects in next year's draft perhaps.

Advertisement
Back