Two star LB Khialil Mack from Ft Pearce 5th overall 1 round

Diamond in the Rough.

High School: Played for head coach Waides Ashmon at Westwood High School...had 140 tackles, including eight for a loss and nine sacks his senior year (his only year of football)...named third-team All-State in football-rich Florida, as well as first-team All-Area...helped lead the Panthers to a district championship.

This is why you don't fill out your class before Senior Year of high school football season finishes. How many scouts does UM have that watch games live?

I think that's kind of silly. I think you try to get as many of the players you think are the best for your program and the best you can get as soon as possible. Otherwise, if we slow play them, they will go elsewhere where they feel more wanted.

We'll never know why Randy's staff did not offer this kid. Recruiting is a real crapshoot. To blame somebody years later for not predicting the future is ridiculous. We've had kids like this before--Russ Maryland, Gino Torretta, maybe not so much in recent years, but there are always hits and misses in recruiting.

Although I have to say, in retrospect, even after Torretta was underrated in recruiting, he later became overrated as a player. I didn't realize this, but check this article on why Gino decided to return his Heisman:

http://npinopunintended.wordpress.com/2010/09/16/gino-torretta-forfeits-heisman-citing-poor-football-skills/

Given the fact that he was underrated before he was overrated, it seems more and more likely that John Kerry had something to do with inflicting Gino on the world of college football.

Advertisement
he wasn't coach then but i get it. everything is his fault.

Not really, because it more than likely that George W. Bush and the neo-cons were involved with this, somehow. They treated this kid as the yellowcake, and couldn't find him when he was there all the time. Now we find he's a weapon of mass destruction.

Kids develop unexpectedly, can't miss kids flame out.

The NFL spends millions scouting full grown men with 4 years of ESPN/ABC/CBS tape and some guy in the top 5 yesterday is going to fall on his face and some UFA guy who cries himself to sleep tomorrow night is going to be the next London Fletcher or Sam Shields.

Now try to project 17 year old kids with some iPhone tape and the NCAA recruiting restrictions. Look at the first 3 rounds of the NFL draft. Northern Illinois, Buffalo, Nevada, Eastern Illinois, N. Dakota St., Pittsburg St. (KS), Georgia Southern... kids come out of nowhere... and as I said above, there are going to be HOF guys picked in the 6th, 7th, and UFA, even after all the poking and prodding.

You hit at over 50%, you're a genius.

Its why I laugh at the star ****ers. These internet gurus make $38k a year and aren't employable by any sort of real journalistic entity, nor even any Division 2 or NAIA schools, but fans are supposed to throw their D1 staffs under the bus because some retarded ex-mailman rips their class on Rivals or Scout? But they are self-proclaimed experts. LOL. Yeah, my dead grandmother could tell you Sammy Watkins was going to be a 5-Star stud. Congrats. Its differentiating who can make a leap, develop, fit in. There is a fine line between a great talent evaluator, and a bad one.

I will remind everyone that the two highest rated classes in the history of the University of Miami, literally might have been the two worst we've had in our lifetimes. Not bad... the two worst. Inverse proportion to how they were rated.

**** is crazy. Tough gig. Just get em to Greentree, let them **** up for the first 6 months or so, and a year later see what you think you have. That's how you rate a class.

Sorry for the rant.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Everyone missed this kid.

There are certain guys that have hyper development after HS. There was no way to know it would happen that way.

lunacy this thread. For one thing Ft Pierce is hardly So Fl. Its 1 hr north of west palm beach....which is pretty much Gator country. O yeah and this place is country. Finally remember its only a miss if turn stars.....if they dont we are wasting schollies fighting buffalo for recruits. Smh

Advertisement
I don't think this miss is anybody's fault, however, this reminds me of a kid that Butch would've found and offered if he was here.

This is why I SMH when people look at stud high school players from Florida and judge them based on whether the Big-3 offered or not. There's kids like Mack all over the country. Florida kids who were ignored by the Big-3 for various reasons, whether they were a late bloomer or a few pounds too small. They go to "smaller" schools, ball out and end up in the NFL.

We're gonna be having this talk again in 2 years when my boy Fabian Moreau goes in the 1st or 2nd round. Watch.

Advertisement
lunacy this thread. For one thing Ft Pierce is hardly So Fl. Its 1 hr north of west palm beach....which is pretty much Gator country. O yeah and this place is country. Finally remember its only a miss if turn stars.....if they dont we are wasting schollies fighting buffalo for recruits. Smh

Gator country? We used to get tons of kids from Ft. Pierce and Vero.

Gator country? We used to get tons of kids from Ft. Pierce and Vero.
When you're winning u get kids from anywhere. This place is not Canes stronghold. I'm not asking you. And tons is stretching it

Advertisement
I don't think this miss is anybody's fault, however, this reminds me of a kid that Butch would've found and offered if he was here.

Stole my thunder. Butch made a living uneaerthing these relatively unknown 2 stars which would go on and dominate CFB.
Really baffling why Shannon skipped on him having at least known about him as he was recruiting Robinson.
Funny thing is that's he's the prototypical OLB for a 3-4 defense that would have been a difference maker on Miami's defense had he been here.

119.gif

UM coaches sign a 2 star kid... Cane fans call for their heads.

UM coaches miss on a 2 star kid that develops... Cane fans call for their heads.

Get well soon.

Bruce Armstrong
Derrick Thomas
Lorenzo White

all Golden's fault also
c'mon this is getting pathetic

Advertisement
Back