Two directions

Do you think Manny should bring in a DC to teach a different fresh perspective on defense that can prepare and recruit LBs? He has all yes men and 100 LB corches who seem to not be able to find someone to play better than Golden recruited LB after 5 years.. The same plays Clemson beat us with last time, they just dusted the old playbook off and knew those play would work because we are same old defense that runs screaming unblocked thinking oh the oline hasnt moved finally we can get to trevor, oh crap same ol TE screen against undiscipline defense..

Diaz defense looks to get fat against the bad schools but doesnt seem big game ready, all upperclassmen on defense, his scheme, 5 years in continuity with his players.. Might need to reshuffle some guys and get some fresh ideas, better coaching, new recruiters, and if you are gonna recruit corners first for their tackling ability and setting the edge, I hope they can push guys out of bounds.. Yes men on defense that no one will second guess..

After that Clemson debacle against WVU, they went and got Venables to team with their exciting brand of offense after bringing in chad morris, will we do the same after bringing in Lashlee (also got took to school last nite)?
Dabo fired his defensive coordinator immediately following that WVU game.

Advertisement
I’ll say this , we’ll know for sure where manny stands and if things are different by how we finish. We run the table ( we should ) I’ll believe in his bs. We pull a “ Miami “ I’ll know what I’m already thinking.
Man we need to win at VTech and unc.....I have zero confidence that our staff can do this? I wouldn’t bet on it....

Leach coached his team to a whopping 2 points against Kentucky.

This team folds Manny should go. We shall see what happens.
Right, but that wasn't the point. Only that you see other teams with lesser talent at least punch at times (I said "some shootouts") with superior teams. Wasn't really asking for a lot last night. Just wanted to see us throw some punches at areas where they're relatively weaker than other areas. Thought we had a better shot at doing that on offense than on defense. You're right: we shall see.

The one positive I see is the leadership is different , mostly because of king. I don’t think this will be the typical collapse like past years but that’s just opinion.
King, Bubba, Phillips. Brevin seems different this year too

Advertisement
Diaz has an abysmal record after bye weeks,,bettet days ahead..
I agree better days ahead, but the loss to Clemson had nothing to do with the bye week. Our guys played hard start to finish. That's not what happened after the bye weeks last year.

We played hard, but undeciplined at times. The game could have been much closer if we played disciplined not gifting Clemson drive extending penalties and us not shooting ourselves in the foot with false starts on offense.

Just think if Clemson's first two drives were punts instead of TDs if we didn't extend those drives with 3rd down penalties. Also if we scored a TD on the pass thst got picked off in the endzone. The score would have been 28-24 Clemson despite a feeble offense. That's how much 3 plays could have changed the game.

Now, I give Lashlee a big fat "F" for his game plan. Clemson was stacking the box and having their LBs shoot gaps on run plays. They also played man coverage on our WRs with no safety help which allowed them to double our TEs and have additional run support. Lashlee had no game plan or adjustments to what Clemson's defense was doing.

On defense, Baker had no plan to contain Etienne. You have to take away or limit their #1 option and he did neither. I thought our secondary played pretty well otherwise. Clemson made a bunch of yards when we were down 2 of 3 ofour best saferies. They have the best QB in the nation. He's going to get his. You just have to make them beat you with their weakest players not their best ones. That's what Clemson did to us. They took away our running game and our TEs and said beat us with your WRs.

Hopefully we win out and the coaching staff can develop a better game plan the 2nd time around. I think we can be a lot more competitive if we can move the ball on offense and limit the number of snaps for our defense. Clemson ran 88 plays. 44 rushes and 44 passes. That's too many for any defense to handle. Conversely, we ran only 54 plays. 29 passes and 25 rushes. That was the biggest factor in the game. If we get our offense going in a 2nd game I think the game would be 1 TD or less and give us a chance ro win.

Barry Odom who was canned at Mizzou is now Arkansas DC. He would have been a great pickup. Runs a 4-3 agressive D but his guys plays a lot more disciplined ball.

Jeremiah Payton made two crucial mistakes yesterday, running wrong routes and not getting separation.. i want to see micheal Redding get some burn
Guys keep talking about Payton because a few insiders anointed him. Meanwhile, he's been here two years and hasn't done anything and looked lost yesterday. Redding's the new hype guy because he's chiseled. The dude I want to see is Key Smith. No one's come close to covering him yet. Every time he gets in, he's five yards behind the DBs, and, ...wait for it...he makes a play on the football when it's in the area code.

Advertisement
Guys keep talking about Payton because a few insiders anointed him. Meanwhile, he's been here two years and hasn't done anything and looked lost yesterday. Redding's the new hype guy because he's chiseled. The dude I want to see is Key Smith. No one's come close to covering him yet. Every time he gets in, he's five yards behind the DBs, and, ...wait for it...he makes a play on the football when it's in the area code.

Give him the **** ball!!

I hope this is the primary line most take away from your post. The WR example is the most prominent in my eyes. Are we in a bad spot at WR? Sure. Is it a reason for our entire offense to go into a punchless shell? That's a **** of thing. We were 100% suffocated. Like a mouse with a snake wrapped around it.

Not even asking for winning football or a shootout. Although, only as one-off examples, you see Leach and Kiffin with similar talent gaps between their players and opponents get into some shootouts. But, a punchless shell? Clobbered our IZ run as many expected; little to no counter. Man'd up our WRs and focused on Jordan as everyone expected; little to no counter. Blitz'd us with no conscious? Little to no counter.

That was pretty close to the rough performance @CANE1775 talked about seeing from Malzahn at times.

Definitely. Saturday night was rough. We'll see how things go from this point forward. Honestly speaking my Cane optimism was hoping we could keep it close, but when you strip that away and admit that Clemson not only has a talent advantage but a coaching advantage on top of that, well you got what we got Saturday. Now it's back to the drawing board because truth is while we may not be on Clemson's level, we can definitely compete with everyone else on the schedule. In the beginning, this season was never about beating Clemson, but instead about beating those other squads that we absolutely have to beat in order to show that we are really making progress. Pitt is an extremely important (and dangerous) game. If we lose at home to them, the wheels come off.

Here are Clemson's recruiting rankings under Dabo before their first national title appearance:

2009- 36
2010- 27
2011- 10
2012- 20
2013- 15
2014- 16
2015- 9

The first time they had an average rating over 90 was 2016-- after they already made the title game. For comparison, Miami has gone over 90 two of the last three cycles.

That's not to say Manny will turn us into Clemson. Based on what he's shown, the odds are against him. Clemson benefited from superior evaluations and coaching.

But the blueprint is the same. Beat the bad teams consistently, recruit better players and then beat the good teams consistently.

IMO - The underrated player that was absolutely key to Dabo's success was landing QB Tahj Boyd in 2009 - the #31 player overall in that class.

Boyd was:

2011 - 1st Team ACC
2012 - 1st Team ACC
2013 - 2nd Team ACC (The year Jamies Winston won the Heisman)

Boyd seems largely forgotten - but having an excellent, stable QB who was there through his RS Senior season as Dabo was bringing in talent at other positions was huge for them.

Boyd was the bridge to Deshaun Watson & Trevor Lawrence.

I agree better days ahead, but the loss to Clemson had nothing to do with the bye week. Our guys played hard start to finish. That's not what happened after the bye weeks last year.

We played hard, but undeciplined at times. The game could have been much closer if we played disciplined not gifting Clemson drive extending penalties and us not shooting ourselves in the foot with false starts on offense.

Just think if Clemson's first two drives were punts instead of TDs if we didn't extend those drives with 3rd down penalties. Also if we scored a TD on the pass thst got picked off in the endzone. The score would have been 28-24 Clemson despite a feeble offense. That's how much 3 plays could have changed the game.

Now, I give Lashlee a big fat "F" for his game plan. Clemson was stacking the box and having their LBs shoot gaps on run plays. They also played man coverage on our WRs with no safety help which allowed them to double our TEs and have additional run support. Lashlee had no game plan or adjustments to what Clemson's defense was doing.

On defense, Baker had no plan to contain Etienne. You have to take away or limit their #1 option and he did neither. I thought our secondary played pretty well otherwise. Clemson made a bunch of yards when we were down 2 of 3 ofour best saferies. They have the best QB in the nation. He's going to get his. You just have to make them beat you with their weakest players not their best ones. That's what Clemson did to us. They took away our running game and our TEs and said beat us with your WRs.

Hopefully we win out and the coaching staff can develop a better game plan the 2nd time around. I think we can be a lot more competitive if we can move the ball on offense and limit the number of snaps for our defense. Clemson ran 88 plays. 44 rushes and 44 passes. That's too many for any defense to handle. Conversely, we ran only 54 plays. 29 passes and 25 rushes. That was the biggest factor in the game. If we get our offense going in a 2nd game I think the game would be 1 TD or less and give us a chance ro win.

we will never beat an elite team with the WRs that we have currently playing big snaps.

Advertisement
The defense is gimmicky and works on enough teams to pile up stats to look good but more times than not when we play good teams or bowl game type teams we seem outclassed.. I never like a room of yes men or guys who if they were let go cant get a comparable level job elsewhere.. Like who is gonna hire Rumph if he cant work here? Even our last DB coach has more ability to find another job..
I don't know how many times we would seize momentum these last couple years on offense and the defense would let us down :

move been saying it for two weeks, how we play agaiat Pitt and Va Tech will tell me everything I need to know about this team.

I never expected a win against Clemson so it was always about the followings games.

Clemson did exactly what most smart fans thought they would. We learned from that game what we already knew.

Our WR are below average D1 WR

Our O-line is still average at best.

our Lb get exposed by their lack of speed.

With all that being said. We should still win most of our remaining games. Let’s see how it plays out. First big test is next Saturday against a blue collar though team in Pitt.
Also, don't forget lack of size. Of course, the exception to the LB rule, is the SLOW FOOTED McCloud!

Advertisement
Where is the talent on DEFENSE? Manny has been the face of the defense for 5 years and 5 recruiting cycles yet we have zero homegrown impact players on defense? For a guy that built his resume on defense, how can there not be more talent on defense? He’s been here 5 fooking years lol
Insanity

I would love to know what they do in the off weeks ?

Clearly we ain’t doing it right.

It makes no sense as to how unprepared we are following a by week.

The real issue is that when guys **** up we just pat em on the ***. Yank them out for a few plays. Drop 2 passed and get yanked for a series. False start.. get yanked.

There is no repercussion for ****** up on this team.

And btw we lead the nation in plays surrendered of 10+ yards. Over 100 points in the first 4 games.

Baker and his bull**** needs to go.

Ivey needs to get benched for loafing in that ETN run.

Scaife and Clark need to see the bench every now and again

Obviously some of you have not looked at the schedule of both ND and UNC. In addition, appears some of you assume Canes will lose again before playing UNC and assume will lose to UNC. ****, why follow the team or season. Just go ahead and give up...

ND plays Clempson and UNC....btw, BC gives ND a battle most years
UNC plays ND and Miami

Miami takes care of business and there's a high probability of playing Clempson again.
Huh? And you want to witness another " bytch slapping " across Diaz's visage!? Now that's fresh. But then again perhaps you're a EGOIST *********.

Advertisement
Back