TVD still humble

Advertisement
There is no Canes writer out there who uses more words to say absolutely nothing than Alan Rubenstien at CanesWarning.

Dude literally built an entire article around Van Dyke stating that he needs to "keep going to work" and will "keep working", while not allowing himself to "get big-headed" because his new coach paid him a compliment.

Thrilling take, Al. This guy is the definition of Canes click-bait.

There is no Canes writer out there who uses more words to say absolutely nothing than Alan Rubenstien at CanesWarning.

Dude literally built an entire article around Van Dyke stating that he needs to "keep going to work" and will "keep working", while not allowing himself to "get big-headed" because his new coach paid him a compliment.

Thrilling take, Al. This guy is the definition of Canes click-bait.
Same with the podcast. They ramble on and say many things we already know.

Advertisement
I just hope we don't take the ball out of his hands to achieve that balance on O. I remember JJ doing this to Marino and it sucked.

The rest of the article was just pathetic.
Balance is great when you can actually get production from both sides. If we're still running the ball into a wall of defenders because our line can't block, I don't want to see 35 1 yard runs.

I just hope we don't take the ball out of his hands to achieve that balance on O. I remember JJ doing this to Marino and it sucked.

The rest of the article was just pathetic.
JJ was 100% correct...he wanted a balanced system like he did in Dallas. Total BS he wanted to take the ball completely out of Mario's hands. Did he take the ball out of Aikmans hands in Dallas??....Marino didn't like JJ....he was a Shula Guy....he also was calling audibles on play calls JJ was sending in. How tf don't you listen to a Man who just Won 2 SBs (really 3...Switzers SB was gift-wrapped from JJ)??

Advertisement
I am very interested to see how TVD performs with an off-season of tape and DCs able to prepare for him as the focal point of the offense.
Same I think he’s gonna see alot of 2 high shells , gonna have to stay in the pocket and take what the defense gives him. And the run game has to improve

JJ was 100% correct...he wanted a balanced system like he did in Dallas. Total BS he wanted to take the ball completely out of Mario's hands. Did he take the ball out of Aikmans hands in Dallas??....Marino didn't like JJ....he was a Shula Guy....he also was calling audibles on play calls JJ was sending in. How tf don't you listen to a Man who just Won 2 SBs (really 3...Switzers SB was gift-wrapped from JJ)??
wasted that defense in '98...I will always love JJ but maaaan...it used to be sad watching him let Marino throw (finally) in the 4th quarter when they were down. Even the announcers were shaking their heads I can recall several instances where they'd ask "Well, why does Jimmy Johnson seem to only let Marino throw the ball down field when they are losing and running out of time?"

In '99 Marino had that comeback on the road against Indy...the playoff comeback against Seattle...those were like his final middle finger to all the doubters that put him in straps the previous 3 years.

I don't disagree with you on Marino not liking JJ's mindset/approach to winning...I honestly think they both would have been much better off meeting in the middle. But they are 2 alphas and it just didn't work out.

Advertisement
Me too. Have to think there will be some sort of drop off right?

No. I’m just not ready to blow the kid in Times Square. What he did last year was nothing short of spectacular. We should all be really excited for him to lead this team. But let’s peel the onion a little. He certainly showed some warts. He was very jittery to start a lot of games. And he put up big numbers against some horrible teams. But at the end of the day, he was generally fantastic. We don’t have to think there will be drop off. But every team we play this year will be planning to
Stop #9 first. That’s a different ballgame from last year.

Advertisement
I heard a rumor a long time ago that Marino used to walk around Pitt’s campus with autographed pictures of himself to hand to people when they came to ask him for one. If true, arrogance like that will make you unteachable.

Everyone wants balance but sacrificing what actually works while emphasizing something that doesn’t is counter productive. The Cowboys were a running team because they had the league’s best offensive line and Aikman couldn’t carry Marino’s jockstrap. The Dolphins had a weak line and garbage running backs but the best passer in the league. Taking the ball out of Marino’s hands to give it to John Avery or JJ Johnson was stupid. Jimmy built a great defense in Miami but sabotaged his own offense by trying to force his system on players who weren’t the right fit. You let your star players be star players.

No. I’m just not ready to blow the kid in Times Square. What he did last year was nothing short of spectacular. We should all be really excited for him to lead this team. But let’s peel the onion a little. He certainly showed some warts. He was very jittery to start a lot of games. And he put up big numbers against some horrible teams. But at the end of the day, he was generally fantastic. We don’t have to think there will be drop off. But every team we play this year will be planning to
Stop #9 first. That’s a different ballgame from last year.
I don’t want to nitpick your point too much but arguably his best games were against the toughest teams on our schedule

Advertisement
Back