TVD still humble

I just hope we don't take the ball out of his hands to achieve that balance on O. I remember JJ doing this to Marino and it sucked.

The rest of the article was just pathetic.
This had a feel of picking up your opponent before the 2 count to administer more punishment.

Advertisement
sub-60% completions in 4/9 starts with losses to UVA, UNC, FSU. He better still be humble.

Guess who built that roster? Jimmy.

It's not an accident that as he rebuilt the Miami Defense, it became more and more obvious that Marino was declining. Amazing that you think that Johnson was washed, a mere 2 years after winning two consecutive Super Bowls. Had Jimmy continued to build that roster out, and been able to move on from Marino(Which wasn't ever happening, because South Florida would have revolted), odds are Jimmy would have found success. Unlike Elway, who accepted what Shanahan brought in when he showed up , and was willing to change the way he played to give himself a better chance at winning, Dan was all about himself. When a guy plays for TWO hall of fame coaches and has one SB appearance, it makes you wonder if there's something wrong with the player, not the coach. Shula failed Dan by not reining him in, honestly, Don was probably cruising to retirement, the younger Shula wouldn't have stood for the one man offense.
"Unlike Elway, who accepted what Shanahan brought in when he showed up , and was willing to change the way he played to give himself a better chance at winning, Dan was all about himself"

I completely agree with you that JJ wasn't even close to being washed when he took the job with the Dolphins. But all the fawning over John Elway is a bit much.
I've got news for you brother. Elway struck gold with Terrell Davis. It had zero to do with him buying into anything Shanny was selling. You put Terrell Davis on Marino's team and we're having a completely different conversation today. Marino wanted to win just as much as the next guy. This false narrative of Marino was a selfish player and that's why he never won a Super Bowl is about as real as the Skunk Ape. The fact that Miami was never able to run the ball while Marino was in Miami was a crime and should be treated as such. Terrell Davis was one of the greatest running backs to ever play the game and nobody benefited more from that than John Elway's over rated asss.

For whatever it’s worth, when I was an intern, I visited the Dolphins Marketing Department for an errand and Dan walked into my elevator as I was leaving. Said “hey boys” and started talking to us about where we worked. I’m not saying he wasn’t arrogant but I have heard nothing but positive stuff about Marino prior to that and that experience solidified it for me.
I have met Marino on 2 separate chance occasions over the years. Dude was down to earth and was really cool when he for obvious reasons, didn't have to be. He didn't come off as am arrogant prick at all.

sub-60% completions in 4/9 starts with losses to UVA, UNC, FSU. He better still be humble.
you say this like other factors don't play into completion percentage. It is an indicator of accuracy and decision making but no where near a perfect one. When using it to make a point you should consider, pressures, throw-aways, drops and play calling. And by the way in all 3 losses TVD brought the team back. First ACC start was VA game with a crap game plan by Lashlee in the first half. TVD won that game at the end. FSU, at FSU (first start in front 60k), TVD brought us back and put us up in the 4Q. Manny lost that one. NC (first start on the road), go back and watch the 2nd half. TVD outplayed howell by a mile and had that game won if not for the OL getting beat bad on a crap rpo call (requires play action vs an all out blitz) that got tipped on the 15 yard line.

The only other QB that may have performed better with the same team in the same situation maybe Young.

Advertisement
"Unlike Elway, who accepted what Shanahan brought in when he showed up , and was willing to change the way he played to give himself a better chance at winning, Dan was all about himself"

I completely agree with you that JJ wasn't even close to being washed when he took the job with the Dolphins. But all the fawning over John Elway is a bit much.
I've got news for you brother. Elway struck gold with Terrell Davis. It had zero to do with him buying into anything Shanny was selling. You put Terrell Davis on Marino's team and we're having a completely different conversation today. Marino wanted to win just as much as the next guy. This false narrative of Marino was a selfish player and that's why he never won a Super Bowl is about as real as the Skunk Ape. The fact that Miami was never able to run the ball while Marino was in Miami was a crime and should be treated as such. Terrell Davis was one of the greatest running backs to ever play the game and nobody benefited more from that than John Elway's over rated asss.
Yeah, lots of people said after Davis left "oh anyone can run for 1200 in that system"

Well Davis was running for 2K

Advertisement
Back